Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Information

Hi Dr. Garcia,

I just purchased the book! I now need to purchase the CD's and other supplements. But before doing so, I have a question or two!?!?

I would like an explanation of the difference between and alcoholic and a person who absues alcohol?

I have been sober since the 30th of April 2005. I did this all on my own. Without medications of any kind. After my 2nd week I did start taking Kudzuw/St. John's Wort. I only took this because I thought it might get a little harder. I took it. But not sure if it helped.

Since being sober for this period - would you still suggest I do the hypnotherapy and all the prescribed supplements.

I realize I need to speak w/my physician as well. But I am just curious that since I have not drank in 38 days could I possibly just follow the program without everything else. I belong to a gym and have started working out as well and feel great.

It would be great if I could get some sort of response - thanks in advance.

Fawn

Need Information

Dear Fawn,

Thank you for your interest in the My Way Out program and congratulations on controlling your alcohol use for the past 38 plus days. For the differences between an alcoholic and problem drinker, I would like to suggest listening to a recent radio interview with Michael Dresser. This is on the website above my picture and says "Listen to Dr. Garcia". It's not very long but points out the differences. In reference to your relationship with alcohol, I wonder if you are completely in control of the cravings associated with this disease, which has the capability to cause a return to drinking. I like to compare it with diabetes: you may not be eating sugar; however you are still a diabetic. Are you really treating the disease or are you just having a sober period which may or may not last? I would recommend reading some of the material available on the research area of the website, as well as the book. If you are (I use this term not in a negative sense) a "dry drunk" then you still have the disease and are under treating it. The power of the craving centers in the mid brain and should not be taken lightly. The program in My Way Out is designed to work synergistically to combat craving (and risk of relapse) while you continue to define your relationship with alcohol. I recommend that all components of the program be used as discussed in the book. Topamax can be left out if the person does not wish to use any prescribed medication and many are doing the program with great success in this manner. I hope this helps you with your questions. Please contact us again as needed.

--Dr. Garcia.

Comment

Need Information

I was also confused by this and although I am on the full program, I am not sure I should be. I never really ?craved? alcohol. So I really did not understand how the topamax would help end the cravings. I am more of an abuser. I may have more than I should. But I do not always drink and most of the time there isn?t even alcohol in the house.

If you go to the web, there is a definition of abusing alcohol as apposed to being alcohol dependent.

Comment

Need Information

New Guy

Hello all, I have come to the realization that alcohol has fully gained control of me and my activities. Unfortunately, a bar visit is now embarrasing as I may fall asleep or stumble on the way out. I went to see my doctor yesterday and was able to get topomax due to my situation. How long does it take to set it.

Comment

Need Information

Drunk

I meant "set in" as opposed to set it.

Thanks

Comment

Need Information

I have the same questions as you !

Hi,

I have just come across the site. I am also needing the same questions answering. Did you manage to get any answers ?? please let me know

Comment

Need Information

Sorry my last message was in repsonse to Thespian

Sorry my last message was in repsonse to Thespian

Comment

Working...
              X