Aspartame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspartame.

I was wondering if any one here has stop using Aspartame to help with alcohol withdrawl and/ or maintaining sobriety?

I haven't, I drink diet coke every day and am wondering if I should stop?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Aspartame.

Aspartame has been in the science and medical news for some time, there are some problems. FDA Should Reconsider Aspartame Cancer Risk, Say Experts ~ Newsroom ~ News from CSPI
    Also, aside from cancer, some nutrition researchers believe that drinking artificially sweetened drinks actually increases weight gain, something about insulin production.
    And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

Aspartame.

I think it's probably nasty stuff... but if it helps you through-- well, one vice at a time.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Aspartame.

Well, I ordered some Phenylalanine (it arrived today)and also noticed today that it is also in Diet coke. I googled it and even though Phenylalanine is good normally ,in the diet coke it binds to another amino acid in a way that is bad. Just seems like my efforts of taking the Phenylalanine are being wasted by drinking the diet coke. Hard to give it up though.

Comment

Aspartame.

Why are you taking it? We get plenty of it in meat and cheese and nuts, protein-rich foods. From Center for Cancer Research, Newcastle-upon-Tyne: "Overuse of phenylalanine supplements can cause anxiety, headaches and hypertension and are contraindicated for pregnant woman, those who suffer from anxiety attacks, high blood pressure, PKU, pigmented melanoma or anyone taking an anti-depressant containing monoamine oxidase inhibitors."
          And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

Aspartame.

I am trying Amino Acid Therapy to overcome alcohol withdrawal and Post Accute Withdrawl Syndrome.

I am going to be taking all 5 of these Aminos in this chart...You have to scroll down to the chart.

Nutrition : Holistic Approaches : The Addiction Recovery Guide

I am pretty convinced to try this.

I know one can get these from food, but I ate food last time I tried to quit drinking.

Thanks for the warning on the Phenylalanine though, I will take it easy with the stuff.

Comment

Aspartame.

Beatle is right, best to take it one vice at a time.

But I don't think diet coke is good for alcohol withdrawal because it has a lot of caffeine in it and will keep you keyed up when what you actually need is relaxation (see the thread on deep breathing in this holistic section). Caffeine also keeps you hooked on a similar rush as what you get from booze, but without the heavy sedation effects of booze.

Have you read the book Seven Steps to Sobriety? It has a nutritional approach. I have read parts of it on this website. you can do a search for it. I don't understand how amino acid therapy alone could be the solution. Can someone explain that?

Since I started to come to this site, I am wary of anything that messes with blood sugar and have radically changed my diet, eliminated a lot of refined sugar, cut down on caffeine, got rid of diet sodas. I am not really sure how much effect that has on kicking booze. I do feel calmer than when I first started coming and have much longer AF periods.

Comment

Aspartame.

Though I do cheat myself at times - even with diet coke which many years ago I drank a gallon of each day - I find that the more I just simply stick to whole foods the better.

Can you replace your diet coke with sparkling water? And (occasional coffee and) green tea for the caffiene?

Really, the more you eat WHOLE, FRESH unprocessed foods, pure drinks like water and tea, the easier everything becomes (mood, alcohol cravings, general well being, etc). I know well from experience, and from reading lots in the available literature.

then again, as said, I too believe we need to do what we need to do to get over the booze insanity. But - I am sure that shortcuts just drag out the agony. (like, I'll drink coffee in the afternoon when I feel blue... it helps short-term, but in a few hours I don't feel so good, so I'll indulge in refined foods, sugar, alcohol, then the next day feel like HELL, so I need more caffeine, which makes me crave more carbs, sugar, booze, which makes me need more caffiene.... you get it...)

The best I've ever felt was when I simply avoided all processed food and drink and filled myself full of whole foods, deep breaths and good sleep. When I felt like that, diet coke or anything un-pure, held absolutely no interest in me.

Btw - there are reports of how diet coke is made with the intention to be addictive to the brain.
                FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Aspartame.

I completely agree with My own woman.

I wish my diet was more pure. I give myself one cup of coffee a day or maybe two, in the morning. There are a lot of great decaffeinated herbal teas. Sparkling waters taste great with a splash of fruit juice.

I really believe that moods can become more stable with nutrition and this has an effect on alcohol consumption.

Also, I have read that caffeine and sugar give you a kind of high like alcohol does. So if you quit booze you are naturally drawn to the others but it's best to resist that urge if you want to get out of addictive cycles.

Comment

Aspartame.

Nancy,

I haven't read "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" but am going to get it and read it. Several people here have mentioned that book and it sounds very interesting.

I think I will give up the diet coke and just drink sparkling water with fruit juice. I will have to be careful that the fruit juice doesn't have any sugar added, just juice. And of course make sure that the juice doesn't have any aspartame in it.

I really feel like I am ready to give up the Aspartame. I am 25 days AF and might as well detox off of the Aspartame too.

There is still going to be alot of Aspartame products around the house because my husband is diabetic and he gets Ice Cream, pudding, jello, jellies and diet pop all with Apartame in them but that doesn't mean I need to eat them just because they are here.

He has been nice enough to not have any alcohol around the house so I don't have to worry about that , so I guess I will just not eat the Aspartame products around the house.

Oh, and I have been doing the breathing exercizes here in the holistic section...it helps alot.

nancy;234996 wrote: Beatle is right, best to take it one vice at a time.

But I don't think diet coke is good for alcohol withdrawal because it has a lot of caffeine in it and will keep you keyed up when what you actually need is relaxation (see the thread on deep breathing in this holistic section). Caffeine also keeps you hooked on a similar rush as what you get from booze, but without the heavy sedation effects of booze.

Have you read the book Seven Steps to Sobriety? It has a nutritional approach. I have read parts of it on this website. you can do a search for it. I don't understand how amino acid therapy alone could be the solution. Can someone explain that?

Since I started to come to this site, I am wary of anything that messes with blood sugar and have radically changed my diet, eliminated a lot of refined sugar, cut down on caffeine, got rid of diet sodas. I am not really sure how much effect that has on kicking booze. I do feel calmer than when I first started coming and have much longer AF periods.

Comment

Aspartame.

MOW,

Yes, I could drink sparking water with fruit juice in it instead of diet soda.

I could drink green tea and coffee for caffiene. I am trying to give up sugar and aspartame and so giving up caffiene would probably be too much for me right now.

I cook most things from scratch so I don't think I use very many processed foods. I am sure I have a lot to learn about eating more nutritionally though.

I really enjoy reading your post, you seem to know alot about health and nutrition and I am sure I can learn alot from you.

Comment

Aspartame.

hi folks good idea to give up the aspartame...it's rather addictive or so I believe from personal experience...I used to drink a ton of diet soda and it didn't do me any good.
                        better natural sweeteners are stevia and agave nectar...both natural and not harmful.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Aspartame.

There is a lot of good advice here.

I agree that aspartame is addictive, though not to the extent of our mutual enemy.

As MOW says, nutrition is also key. Whole foods etc. However, if you are a vegetarian or vegan, or just don't eat much food high in protein, I don't think you are getting too much phenylalanine, are you? (that's a question, actually).

Rosalind, I hope you do get "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" because I think it will give you so much of the information you seem to want. I use its guidelines together with MWO and it helps me very much.
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Aspartame.

Beatle,

I am not eating alot of protein this time around. I did eat an EXTREMELY high protein diet the first time I tried to quit drinking and still had EXTREMELY bad PAWS at 6 and 7 weeks AF.

This way seems with the to be working better for me so far.

No one knows how bad I get PAWS when I try to quit drinking. I am in a fight for my own life so I have to do what works for me!

I will order the books, "Seven Weeks to Sobreity" and "My way out" as soon as I get another check in. (have spent quite a bit of money on supps already)

Comment

Aspartame.

[QUOTE=nancy;234996]

I don't understand how amino acid therapy alone could be the solution. Can someone explain that?

---------------------------------------
                              Nancy,

I am not really doing Amino Acid Therapy "alone".

I am also taking a b complex and a calcuim, mag, complex.

I am taking Choline Bitartrate and Folic Acid.

Evening Primrose Oil and Fish oil

The Aminos I take are:

L-glut
                              Gaba
                              5htp
                              DL phenylalanine
                              L- tyrosine

Unrealated to drinking issues perhaps I take:

Iron
                              Zinc
                              Copper
                              Kelp.

For cravings I take Kudzu. I took alot at first, not so much now. (day 26 af)

Now I don't have time to drink, neither can I afford it!:H

Comment

Working...
                              X