This really needs to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can not even believe I am typing this. I was almost 48hrs AF and I swore I would not drive after drinking. The problem is I dont know how impaired I am when I am driving because I have full functioning awake blackouts. Or whatever they are called. Well this morning when I got in my car I needed to change lanes and looked in my right mirror and it was pushed into the window--like when you fold them in. My heart sank- I hit something last night that pulled the trim off my back passenger door- no dents really just that piece is missing. I have absolutley no memory of it. You guys are the only ones I can discuss this with-truly.

I got capral yesterday but since I was drinking I did not take it. I can not wait for my tapes and supplements to get here. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!

Thanks for listening and bless you all for being here.

Cosette(working on another 1 day AF):boohoo: :boohoo:

Oh Cosette -
    So sorry this happened. It's scary, I know. But most importantly - you are alright and there was no major accident.
    I've had my share of 'slips' AF-wise since I got here. And, I would guess from what I've read here, that 99% of the other people here who were trying to go AF have done the same. The slips seem to be part of the learning process. You're making a major change, and it takes time. Just keep going!

I heard someone on the radio yesterday talking about how after GP - blackouts from drinking happen sooner and with less alcohol than it would take in someone without the GP. So maybe you have a 'hair trigger' in this area? Doesn't leave alot of 'wiggle room' I guess, in terms of quitting.

I hope you have a good day today. Don't beat yourself up. Just dust yourself off and keep going - that's my philosophy anyway. I've had a bunch of Day 1's. Put it behind you. I think you're doing great-
    wonder xx

Comment

Wow cosette,

That is so terrifying.
      Yes, you need to take this really seriously. We have had a few members on this site recently who were arrested with DUIs'. That's bad enough. There's the risk of hurting someone.

I hope you get the help you need and you can rely on all of us anytime for support.

Comment

Thanks Nancy and WOnderworld. I thought I was taking it seriously. I truly intended to never drink anywhere but home. You are right Wonder I am much more suseptable now and I think the problem is that I cant drink what a normal person would and it hits me like a rock all of a sudden. Yet I still do it.

Comment

GP - Gastric Bypass surgery.

Comment

I don't know if you can contain this by just drinking at home. The car is still outside right?
            How do you know you won't get into the car?

Isn't campral for when you have abstained for a while?

Some members who were arrested for DUIs had some threads about drunk driving a while back and said that they took very good glasses about drunk driving and alcohol. Maybe you should look up drunk driving on this website. And there are meds you can take while you are still drinking: naltrexone and topa.

Can you get any help on this from an addictions counselor? perhaps someone not steeped in 12 steps?

I hope you reach out as much as possible as there are some really great experienced people on this website.

Comment

Cosette,

Yes. Us GP patients drink and wander around in blackout states much quicker than the rest of the drinkers.

I sure did!

For us, drinking is NOT an option. I remember sometime prior to my surgery a friend told me about her niece. It was prophetic, really. She said, "well she lost the weight but now all she does is get drunk!!" She was sneering when she said it.

I often think back to that conversation...

If I really knew then what I know now.

Best of luck to us both,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

no option for me either

Firends or no friends, I am DOING THIS today, feel ok, soo hopeful is my mood, I need to do it and I know I can..................it is hard w/ Mike drinking like a fish, but I can do it, did it before, had 90 days,actually 9 months at one time,never felt soooooooo healthy!!!

You can do it to, all of us can...............

I love you all dearly, thanks for bieng there!!:thanks:

MA:h :h
                :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                X