Topamax after 12 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax after 12 weeks

I posted this on the other board, but I would like a medical opinion in regards to this:

What do we do at the end of the 12 weeks period. Do we taper off Topa? If it's working, do we stay on it? Will it be a lifetime maintenance drug like antidepressants are for some? Does anyone have any information on this? Is this a safe drug to stay on for extended periods of time..does anyone know the research behind this? Thanks again!

Also, do you have any contact with people who have 12 weeks + on the program and what they chose to do and how it worked for them? Thanks.

Jen

Topamax after 12 weeks

Hi, Jen.

Chapter Six of MWO has an excellent discussion of the post-12 week issue, and again, it's a matter you'll want to take up with your health care provider. If it's working well for you, you may wish to consider continuing with Topamax, just as others do with anti-depressants; the example you cite is excellent.

Topamax has been used safely for siezure disorders for a decade or so by adults and within the pediatric population. Some in my practice stick with the medication, others decide to titrate down. (Again, refer to the book, as there is specific information about how to do this.) Some will increase their intake of supplements such as kuduz, L-Glutamine and amino acids to help keep that craving in check. The choice is to back completely off of the medication or wind down to a lower "maintenance" dose. So far both strategies have worked, however the program is still relatively new (less than three years) so we are always vigilant because we know alcoholism is a disease that must be monitored over a lifetime.

Hope this helps.

-- Dr Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X