The shakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shakes

Mine are severe. I can't even type without redoing most of it. I can't get a spoon to my mouth. I can't write anything but chicken scratch. And I even shake, rattle and roll when I walk.

I've been through detox about eight times in the past year. I refuse to go back. When I first tried to stop, the doc gavem me Klonopin to ease the shakes. It did nothing for me. The other day, he prescribed Tranxene. Again, does not work--at all. I've been in the hospital twice in the past month--for a fractured rib. Both times they gave me Ativan (sp?). That did wonders for the shakes. I asked my doc for it, but he didn't want to presccrribe it for some reason.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I badly need to go to the grocery store (we're talking NO ffood in the house), l but I'm not about to go like this. Help, anyone?

pinkpeppercorns

The shakes

Geez Pinkpeppercorns - you're really in the soup right now.
    Ativan is a benzo ike valium. I'm surprised no doctor had given you Librium, also a benzo, which is the typical script for withdrawal. If you can think of somewhere to get a librium script - that would really help. Maybe a different doc?
    What part of the world are you in?
    If you happen to have any perscription muscle relaxers like cyclobenzeprine or flexeril lying around, left over from an injury - take it.
    Also - try taking 2 motrin/advil and taking hot baths or showers, this could cut the shakes down.
    If you have any supplements - calcium, vitamin c, b vitamins - take them.
    I know you don't have food - but if you have soup and can keep it down - try. And lots of liquids. Water and also juice or warm milk if you have it and can keep it down.
    Is there anyone who can go shopping for you?
    If they can, or if you can get to a health foosd store calms forte (a homeopathic herbal blend in pill form) and liquid valerian taken in water (also an herb) may help a little, though maybe not much while you're this bad into detox.
    If it gets any worse, or you really can't take it - go to the emergency room. Maybe you should anyway? Even though I understand you really don't want to.
    I'm going to go look in one of my books to see if I can find anything else that will help.
    Be right back-
    A big hug for now-
    Wonder xx

Comment

The shakes

I wrote you in your other thread.... But the suggestions here by Wonderworld are great ones! Up those vitamins and drink lots of water.

Comment

The shakes

Pink-
        I'm not finding anything else to help for now. The books say that GABA (an amino acid) mixed with inositol and niacinimide in a supplement is helpful, and also a free-from amino acid complex supplement. But you probably don't have these on hand, and I'm not sure they help with acute withdrawal symptoms.
        If I were in your shoes - I'd try the mortrin/advil - even a bigger dose, and a hot bath/shower. You may find a difference from this pretty fast, and then will need to repeat, as the symptoms tend to come and go in waves. I am not a doctor, this is all from my own experience and reading over the years.
        And Stay warm. And Drink liquids. I'm worried about you - but it sounds like you may be able to ride it out. Keep posting here, and reading, to keep you company . Many of us have been there. It's the worst feeling in the world. Each minute, each hour that you get through has you closer to being past it.
        Hang in there -
        Another big hug:l
        Wonder xx

Comment

The shakes

and a p.s. - I just read one of your other posts. DON't DRINK ! - unless you plan on checking in somewhere to detox. It will only put off what you are going through now for a short time and you'll be right back where you are now (duh - I'm sure you know this).
          I'm just emphasizing!
          Hoping the bad part passes soon-
          wonder xx

Comment

The shakes

Thaank you sssooo much!

Comment

The shakes

You're welcome. I love your pink chair. I'm on my way out to do some errands and want to say..... glad you found this site. It has been SOOOOooo helpful to me this go round, and I hope it will be for you.
              And here's to neither of us having to go through these hells anymore-
              See you later-
              Let us know how you're doing -
              wonderxx

Comment

The shakes

Pink the shakes really stink don't they? I'm going through that right now as well. fortunately I had a few librium left over. Magnesium supplements have helped me in the past...say 350mg or so. also taurine helps with the heart flutters (I hate that feeling...arg).
                and yes if you get worse have a phone handy and get to the hospital asap.
                as detoxing is damaging to the hipocampus portion of our brain it gets more and more difficult to get over it....so lets stop putting ourselves through this hell
                take care.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

The shakes

benadryl

I have found that any sort of sedative can be helpful - I use benadryl for when I've really messed up the night before. And of course limit your caffeine - that will make it worse.

Comment

The shakes

all sound suggestions...but Pink you need to decide once & for all...if you want to live ..or NOT! Figure the fuck out what is keeping you from wanting to live. You sound fairly intelligent

wow D! OK...D has great advice...and wisdom with this disease....good luck D...what do I know anyway!

oh just realized you posted this a month ago PinkP...how are you now?

Comment

The shakes

Pinky are you Okay? I am worried about you.

Luv Ripple~:h

Comment

The shakes

wonderworld;235780 wrote: Pink-
                        I'm not finding anything else to help for now. The books say that GABA (an amino acid) mixed with inositol and niacinimide in a supplement is helpful, and also a free-from amino acid complex supplement. But you probably don't have these on hand, and I'm not sure they help with acute withdrawal symptoms.
                        If I were in your shoes - I'd try the mortrin/advil - even a bigger dose, and a hot bath/shower. You may find a difference from this pretty fast, and then will need to repeat, as the symptoms tend to come and go in waves. I am not a doctor, this is all from my own experience and reading over the years.
                        And Stay warm. And Drink liquids. I'm worried about you - but it sounds like you may be able to ride it out. Keep posting here, and reading, to keep you company . Many of us have been there. It's the worst feeling in the world. Each minute, each hour that you get through has you closer to being past it.
                        Hang in there -
                        Another big hug:l
                        Wonder xx
                        Thanks so much for your warm and positive help and support, Wonder.

Will the hot shower/bath help even when I'm already having sweats?

I do have those supplements and started taking them (along with others) yesterday. Many of them say to take them with meals, and I just don't have that much in the way of meals here right now. I need to get to the grocery store.

I was on Campral and Naltrexone, which really seemed to help with the cravings. I went to get them refilled yesterday (walking about a mile in the bitter, freezing cold here--that was fun), but for some reason, my prescription coverage has changed somehow, so they weren't covered. Ugh.

I do keep warm. I am very lucky to have my heat covered in the rent. I keep it nice and toasty in here.

I'll try the motrin. I could use it anyway. I have a cracked rib, an extra elbow on my elbow, and a very sore back from falling down a long and steep flight of extremely narrow stairs a couple weeks ago. (This was when I was a helluva lot more sober than I have been recently. My grandson had taken a spill down the stairs. They were really slippery and wet. When I saw him tumble head over heels, I went racing after him and slipped myself. Poor little guy ... I (and the casserole dish I was carrying) landed right on top of him. I was sure his fall would require a call to 9-1-1 but after three-minute cry, he seemed fine. Meanwhile, I've got aches and pains and fractured parts like you can't imagine.)

Anyway, thanks again. I'll try your recommendations as I try to taper down (and eventually, hopefully, OFF).

Comment

The shakes

Pink,

I was very relieved to hear from you this morning.

How is the tapering off going? Please be careful. I know you have a neighbor helping that is not quite reliable but it is better than keeping the alcohol in the house where you could drink it at will. That is a very good idea.

Keep us posted. Taper off!!

Love,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The shakes

chrysa;248959 wrote: all sound suggestions...but Pink you need to decide once & for all...if you want to live ..or NOT! Figure the fuck out what is keeping you from wanting to live. You sound fairly intelligent

wow D! OK...D has great advice...and wisdom with this disease....good luck D...what do I know anyway!

oh just realized you posted this a month ago PinkP...how are you now?
                            For me, it's obviously not an easy decision whether I want to live or NOT. And I have figured out "the fuck" what is keeping me from wanting to live. It's more a matter of figuring out how to cope with it.

I sound fairly intelligent? Well, I'm glad the student loans I incurred in attending and being graduated from an Ivy League college weren't all for naught.

I find the tone of your note hostile and condescending. I'd prefer that you not respond further to my posts. I'm a fairly sensitive soul right now.

Comment

The shakes

pink.though i am very new here, i hope you are feeling ok....i have no advice, but i wish you peace, and well being, and an ear should you ever need one.
                              Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Working...
                              X