Day 4 AF, but 5pm is now here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, been reading these posts for 3 days... really helpful and inspiring.
    The amazing thing for me to read about is all the people who say they have a good life, nothing is 'wrong' and yet still drink.... that sums me up completely.
    Things were going well for me until now... its 5pm and I am trying to make excuses in my head (and to my partner) that life is cr*p without red wine. My user name of Muppet suits me. Want to hit the stop button, but with Christmas coming up and work parties etc, how will I get through? Want to run a mile and hide away, come back into the world in the new year.
    Have drunk so much tea this past few days (even for an English person!) and am sick of it... life seems dull sober.
    Struggling now... want a different life but don't think I'm strong enough even though I know I'll be so angry with myself if I give in tonight. :new:

Hi day 4 is a nighmare im only on day 7 but my urge for AL on day 4 was the worst,dont give in you will regret it in the morning,also 4-5 pm is my worst time...the witching hour..keep going it will be better tomorrow and you will be so pleased you did
    Jacqui x
    Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Mup.....it's only that it seems that nothing's wrong.....something IS wrong deep inside if you can't stop following self-destructive behaviour.....getting to the bottom of it can be hard work.

At day 4, and at 5pm, it's bound to be hard/boring/anxious/p'd off/whatever........it's early days. Do you really, really want to get your drinking under control? If you do, stick with it.........do anything to distract yourself....eat, go for a run, watch tv, anything but drink! Stay on the board and read and read and post and just HANG ON!!!!!

Suze x
      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Suze is right, alcohol abuse is normally a symptom of something else. For me, I drank because of low self-esteem issues, which unsurprisingly alcohol reinforced (I was a loser for drinking so much).

It wasn't until I stopped being so down on myself that I was able to stop drinking (and not obsess about it). It is hard work getting to the root of your problems, but the way of life that is achievable is so worth the effort!

AAthlete
        (175 days AF, but whose counting.....)
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Thankyou both for your posts.... I'm drinking yet more tea..... not wine.

Suze, you are right in what you say, something must be wrong... I have always considered that the wine was an addiction, nothing more, just like cigarettes.... e.g. not really my fault I drink so much, I'm addicted to the alcohol... 'nothing wrong with my life'.... You have made me re-think.

My aim tonight is to just get through it and have an early night... I'm feeling stronger than just an hour ago. Thankyou.

Comment

hey muppet. i went af for a few weeks, and in the first few days u do feel like life is dull and its hard .but to be honest, after a few weeks u dont think about it and life deoens seem duller, except when u want to go out on a friday night say. however, ur not feeling dul just sitting watching tv without the alcohol, etc. thats just a beginning af though.. i promise.. howefer i am having hue problems moderating. read my post if you want, so i might have to do af too. my bf is giving mje the option of him staying with me af, or him leaving.. it sux cuz i just wanted to try the supplements out and see if they worked, before i went af.

Comment

seems that day 4 is really bad with most people. after day 7 you will feel re-energized, your body is going through detox, it's good that you are drinking a lot of tea, to help flush out the toxins.
              keep going
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Muppet, hang in there. I'm only on day 7 AF but I never thought I could do even this many days. Reading other people's experiences helps a lot and they are all so supportive. Good luck.

Comment

Hey Muppet :welcome: and excellent job on 4AF days. So hang in there tonight....you will be so much happier in the morning. I've only had a total of 4 for the entire month of December. So tonight I'm having tea too.

Muppet, I started drinking wine over 20 years ago because I enjoyed it so much (no underlying problem). It's just the habitual drinking turned into an addition, and to top that off with no control over the drinking........I too wonder how I am to live without my wine.....but I'm working on it as I read, read, and read some more.

Take care,
                  Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Everybody... thanks for taking time to read, and for posting. It has helped.

Miss October, I'm almost your double - but been about 10 years for me. Just like it... red wine, that's all, nothing else (that is strange)... I know its a long road ahead, and I may not have 'timed' it right with Christmas coming up and all.... but I'm feeling stronger today than yesterday - 5 is my lucky number, and 5 AF days feels good.

Thanks again to all.

Comment

Well done Muppet. Keep going!!!

Starlight Impress x

Comment

:welcome: muppet!

Take it one day at a time! It really does work. As your days add up, you will gain confidence, and start to feel better and better.

The holidays are pretty tough, but there is never a good time to start as you know. Keep going, you are doing great!

Comment

Muppet,

I so know what you mean about how "boring" life is without the wine. I get into those funks myself. It is odd, because I really am happier sober but my brain tries to tell me "but you used to have so much fun with that good old delicious red wine!!"

Yeah, right. Black outs, hangovers, embarrassing myself. Great fun!!

So, when I get into those funks, I know this sounds weird, but I tell myself, "I'd rather be an unhappy sober person than a miserable drunk."

Works for me, anyways and I always end up smiling at my own stupidity.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Muppet, only just found this thread, well done for day 5 :goodjob:

For me renting my favourite series on dvd helps, something saucy like nip tuck ........... when the temptation starts, load it into your pc, (with this place minimized of course) before you know it, 1 episode and 45 minutes have passed ............

Be good, BB xx
                            sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                            X