Nervous about talking to my Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I just finished the book and I am really excited about this program. I have ordered my CD's and I plan on getting the nutritional supplements next. However, I am really, really nervous about talking to my doctor. My husband says that I'm just nervous about admitting that I am not in control of something, (boy I hate it when he may be right!) I have never shared my feelings about my drinking with anyone and to be honest I did not really admit I had a problem with myself until I read the book. (The thinking about wine like butter factor was an eye openner for me) I worry that I will sugar coat my problem (like I have done with myself) and he won't take me seriously or if I am totatly honest he will want me to go to AA, which I no way want to do!! Do you have any advice on how I should talk with my doctor? How I even start this conversation? I'm not even sure what I should say when I make my appointment. He is my regular MD so I usually only see him when I have a virus or if my children are sick. He is a really nice guy and very caring I just feel funny admiting this problem and I worry that he will think I am a terrible person and mom for not having control over myself. Okay I know NOT getting help would be terrible but I am having a hard time over coming this worry and I'm afraid I will probably start crying and I won't be able to articulate my feelings to him. I would so apprecitate any advice you could offer me. Thank you.

Boy I know exactly how you feel right now. I felt the same way. I made my appointment and told the receptionest that I needed to go over a new prescription with my Dr. No questions were asked. If you feel odd then say you need a check up.
    When my Dr walked in she said.. Hows it goin'? I said, well.. ok. and laughed. I told her that I have a problem with drinking alcohol and that I need help. She asked me how much I drank. I told her alot. And I did. Believe me.. ALOT. I cried... I couldnt stop crying. I drank A 12 pack of beer a night. I admitted it to her. She asked me if I had tried AA and I told her that I had been to 2 meetings and I would last as long as the meeting and right after I would go straight to the store and get my nightly fix. (I actually grew up going to AA meetings. my dad is an alcoholic) I told for that I had found the website and the book. I told her that I wanted to try the program. And she was very hesitant since she had no background on the program. She wanted to put me into rehab. I refused and I also told her that my insurance didnt cover it. She then tried to give me antibuse. I told her that I just wouldnt take it. I told her that I wanted something that would work on my brain and make me not crave it. I wanted to NOT WANT to drink. I wanted to be sober. I also wanted to have the choice to have a drink and quit after one or two like my friends.

She agreed to give it a try. She said.... What do we have to lose. I will tell you one thing. She is amazed. I have had my one month check up and she can't believe what has happened. Dont be afraid to admit that you have lost control. You can gain that control back. And it can happen over night. It did for me. Just talk to your Dr and if he/she isnt willing to work with you then dont stop try another one.

BTW now my Dr wants to know where she can buy a copy of the book for a reference guide. funny ha.

I know this was directed at the Dr but this may be of help to you. good luck

Comment

Working...
    X