Hypothyroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothyroid

I tried to find Beatle's other thyroid thread but couldn't, so I'm starting another (and forgive me if I'm repetitive).
    Jane Jane's thread on perimenopause got me looking more into my health issues, in particular my hypothyroidism. I've been taking synthetic thyroid for years. I'm realizing now that I still ahve nearly all symptoms of low thyroid. So I'm planning to try Armour natural thyroid (and try not to think of where it comes from), as well as cutting out cruciferous veggies and soy (which inhibit thyroid function).

Couple questions, if any of you know....
    -- Is it okay for me to just switch to the Armour product on my own, without talking to a doc? I have a naturopath, and I could see her, but I'm thinking of just doing this on my own.
    -- What the hell do I eat for green veggies??? I eat a ton of spinach every day, life without broccoli seems unliveable, and I can't even have kale or chard, my favorite cooking greens. How shall I go on???
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Hypothyroid

We need need to talk big time MOW. I do think you can switch to Armour on your own but really you should have help because it is not as "measurable" as the synthetic stuff. I'm in the middle of this transition myself.

meanwhile: drlowe.com---fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, thyroid hormone resistance

AND, see.... (next post)
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hypothyroid

Sticking Out Our Necks, November-December 2007, Thyroid Disease News Report, From Mary Shomon -- Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Cancer, Nodules, Weight Loss, Metabolism
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hypothyroid

Oh, thank you Beatle. I'll check these out.
        Have you seen this site??
        Stop The Thyroid Madness ? Index Page

Comment

Hypothyroid

I knew about soy not being good for thyroid but cruciferous veggies are too? Please tell me it ain't so.

And I really would consult your doctor first about switching. I have heard the same thing Beatle said.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hypothyroid

Yeah, I'm going to make an appt with my naturopath (sick of the conventional docs).

But really, I just don't know WHAT I"m going to eat anymore. I had two pounds of spinach in my fridge and gave them away today. I really am crushed. Then there's all teh stuff I shouldn't eat due to candida. Guess all that's left for me is quinoa. I love the stuff, but honestly...

Comment

Hypothyroid

OMG friggin NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
              I just realized that quinoa is a relative of spinach and swiss chard - cruciferous vegetables!!!
              I can't take it!!!!

Comment

Hypothyroid

Stop it. The benefits of these foods have to far outweigh the minor problem it causes to our thyroids. Do not give up quinoa or cruciferous. That is going too far.

Comment

Hypothyroid

My doctor switched me from Synthroid to Armour at my request, and I've had better results with it. Let us know how it goes.....

Comment

Hypothyroid

Have thyroid problem too... for years. Had tests, took medications, made me too tired to walk to next room, threw them in the bin. Thyroid left untreated, hate blood tests and one per week required for possible 6 months til they get dosage right!!! Piss off find another lab rat to test on. At least can walk from room to room. So can't help with advice but interesting how many have thyroid problems. Hmmmmmmm

Comment

Hypothyroid

lushy;238899 wrote: Stop it. The benefits of these foods have to far outweigh the minor problem it causes to our thyroids. Do not give up quinoa or cruciferous. That is going too far.
                      I shall obey my Queen.

Seriously, I think that until I get my thyroid in good shape I'll cut way back on the cruciferous v's, but not torture myself by never letting another spinach leaf cross my lips again.

Comment

Hypothyroid

This might help a little bit. Apparently if we cook these veggies and tofu it lowers the "bad stuff." I just bought millet to try and it says not to eat it. This is so damn depressing......

WHFoods: What are goitrogens and in which foods are they found?

Comment

Hypothyroid

jesus- please drop out of the heavens and tell us how to eat for our health. i am confused.

thank you

Comment

Hypothyroid

Oh thank you Lushy. I looked all over that site today trying to find some info on this. Didn't have the word 'goitrogen' in my head.

At least for those without thyroid issues, it's clear that you don't have anything to worry about. Think of me when you eat your next spinach salad... :upset:

Comment

Hypothyroid

I used to take Synthroid, but would get so horribly tired. I am now happily on Armour, but went thru weeks of headaches as my body adjusted. Maybe a week and a half. I think Synthroid is very not good, and I'm glad to be on something natural. I don't get tired anymore like I used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X