I've also been just starting to work out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started a week ago trying to do the elliptical that's been collecting dust the past year. I made it only 2 minutes last Monday my first day. I've done it a total of 5 days now and the past 2 I did it for 10 minutes. I don't see how I'm going to make it past 10, I am so winded by the time it gets done I can't image going any further. Please tell me it gets easier.

I've also been doing some floor exercises, going to get on the bowflex tomorrow or Friday instead of doing floor exercises.
    Marcie

Do you smoke Marcie? Anyway, it does take some time to build up stamina. I use to be able to run 10K easily a few years ago. If I tried now, I would make it maybe 1/2K and be completely winded. If I kept at it, over time, I would be able to increase the distance.

Just keep at'er and you will improve your time, in no time.

Comment

Yes I smoke AFM, but hopefully not much longer. I started Chantix 2 weeks ago and been cutting back a ton. I'm planning on quitting all together this weekend or Monday at the latest. I know that's a big factor as well, plus I'm so darn out of shape!
      Marcie

Comment

Chantix? I guess it is working for you? Hmmm... I quit a couple of months ago, and have started again........ stoooooooooopid me! Maybe I will talk to my doctor about Chantix. I have this really HOT new doctor BTW - and he looked at me in disgust when I told him I smoked.

Comment

I have a saying that I really love,
          " NEVER QUIT QUITTING "
          I wish you ladies all the luck in the world in quitting... As a teenager I smoked for 5 years.. It is a hell of a thing to get rid of.. I think that alcohol is a walk in the park to quit in comparison.. Although I might add though there is a point in which you will never pick up another cig, but alcohol is just so acceptable and available etc... Damn Monkey is always on your back !!
          Getting back to the eliptical, Marcie, try to decrease the intensity and speed so that you are not "anerobic"... which simply means that your muscles aren't able to get enough oxygen.. Keep on going and it will get easier,,,, Pinky Promise !! Maybe incorporate 2 or 3 small workouts in your day ... 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there ... It will add up and you will build up your indurance.. Best to you !

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Good job on the every day workout! Of course it is getting easier, as you could only do 2 min at first and are now up to ten. Try and increase your time ten percent a WEEK. And take two days off. So if you do ten today, you want to be able to do eleven next week and 12.1 or so, the week after and so on. Working out is supposed to get your heart rate up and make you sweat, otherwise it isn't doing anything... but you don't want to be gasping and bring your heart rate up too much, or get discouraged and quit. Slow down a bit and try to increase your stamina rather than your rpms.
            And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys! Niblet, I have not been doing much speed or intensity yet. I have it on the lowest setting maybe go one higher for a minute or two out of the 10. I'll just keep it on the lowest for now. The past 2 days I've done 2 minutes at a very slow pace then slowly increased after 2 minutes and at about 7 minutes almost a moderate run for a minute and then started slowing down for the last 2 minutes.
              Marcie

Comment

Ratana, sorry if I said that wrong, but I've only been on the elliptical 5 times over the past 10 days or so, so not every day. I've been doing some other small floor exercises like leg lifts and stomach crunches daily though.
                Marcie

Comment

Hey Marcie, You have the right attitude, start slow and gently increase, let off and increase... etc, Your stamina will gradually increase without you feeling discouraged (the big reason people stop working out) Good for you... Hydrate before and then after with good old water... Tape measure your chest, stomach and hips to guage your progress because in 2 weeks or so you might say to yourself, " AWW Heck I've been working out soooo hard and I see no results " When we see ourselves all the time we miss the small changes that are occurring daily... Case and point, " The tape measure doesn't lie and you are making wonderful progress " All the best to you Marcie !! xxx

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Marcie,

Good on you for starting to use the elliptical!!

I hate working out in the hotel gyms - too many younguns in there looking at disgust at this old out of shape biddy - so I bought a book of beginner's Pilates.

I have been really enjoying it. Works me out a bit, relaxes me like yoga and can do easily in the privacy of my hotel room.

Let me know how the Chantix works. My doc mentioned it to me a bit ago, I am sure she would be glad to prescribe it. If it helps, I am all for it!! (Hubby hates the smoking.. only thing he really bitches about)

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                    X