Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the lowdown on probiotics

Hi all
    This is off topic to alcoholism but I can't resist asking because I value your opinions. How do you know if it is worth taking probiotics? Seems like it's hard to know if the bacteria are live at the time you buy them and the products are expensive.

It's true - you don't know if they are still alive, if you're not buying the right brand. Also very important is how far into your gut the little buggers get. My naturopath gave me a brand that has been studied more than any other with best results. Apparently if they die off before they get to the large (or small?) intestine they aren't going to be able to do what you want them to do.
    When I get home tonight I"ll look at the box and tell you the brand name.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I've been taking probiotics for several years to control IBS. They work for me. Most health food stores store them in the frig. You could also just eat a lot of good yogurt (look for "live culture" or "active culture" on the label, not "heat treated after culturing.")
      And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

hey ratana

i know what the packages say, but i think they have been tested in some studies and often the products are lacking live bacteria.

so even if you refrigerate or whatever, doesn't matter because they are dead. and then even if they are alive, they can die on the way down.

IBS is a condition that has psychological causes and so placebo effect may be a factor in success.

Comment

...and if the product is reliant on refrigeration to keep them alive, you have no idea if it was kept refrigerated during transport and storing.

If you go the route of food source, kefir is a better source than yogurt.

Comment

I was just going to suggest Kefir. It is really, really great stuff, but of course do worry that not everything is still alive in there like it should be.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

what is kefir?

or should i just google it...

Comment

Ya, google it. I can't remember the brand I get... Lushy, do you know?
                Kefir is like a thick drinkable yogurt, with LOTS of cultures in it. I've used it in smoothies.

Comment

I get Nancy's but I am not sure everyone carries that brand. It is so good. Comes in different flavors.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I take pro biotics every day, started after finishing the master cleanse. I have noticed that I am not bloated after eating.
                    the bacteria that is in pro biotics is quite resilient, I have been told. It's like the bacteria that makes the yeast used for sourdough, you can keep it around for years if you give it food.

it's like bacterial pet
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

trixietrack;239962 wrote:
                      it's like bacterial pet
                      Oh yep...I have some.....Dophi and Bifi....geddit??? :H

I do take probiotics - always, when I have anti-biotics - and otherwise I tend to take them for a couple of months then rest them for a month. Don't know why I do that! I also periodically use psyllium husks for bowel health. Great stuff...very, er....moving. Anyone else use it?

Suze x
                      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

I love those 2 words bowel health. dophi and bifi stay around if you feed them and they will be good to you.
                        you think they bark?
                        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I've heard that Culturelle is a good brand. I don't take it regularly, but my ped recommended it when my son (back when he was an infant) had gastroenteritous (sp?) and his whole system was messed up (non-stop diarhea). I can't tell you if it helped because we were trying multiple things at the same time, but the ped said it couldn't hurt and that this was the best brand to take. I have also taken it in anticipation of surgery (c-section) because, of course, you get lots of antibiotics after surgery and that can result in yeast problems later (specifically, thrush - yeast infection in your nipples which makes breastfeeding very painful). Unfortunately, it did not work for me in this case. I still got thrush (as I did w/my first birth too). So, I don't know how good my advice is. I've heard Culturelle is a good brand, but I've had no definitive success w/it.

Comment

Nancy, all I know is that is that three years ago I started having bowel issues. Bloating, cramping, diarrhea, constipation, obviously not at the same time, but continuous... and bad. My dr. diagnosed me with IBS but had no specific recommendations other than trad. pepto- bismol stuff. I was miserable, so I did some internet research and went to my local alternative pharmacy called Elephant Pharm. I asked the girl what I should take for IBS. She recommended the exact same things I saw on various websites... peppermint oil, probiotics, flax seed and, if necessary, fennel seed tea.

For IBS, I take, on a daily basis and in addition to other supps for other issues: Jarro-Dophilus EPS 1 capsute; Rainbow "Advanced Enzyme System";, and 1 capsule Peptogest from Nature's Way. This last can induce heartburn, so take with food.

To be very clear: these supps are 4 iBS, not alcohol-related issues. They have worked 4 me 3 yrs. If U R still drinking, please take milk thistle (silymarin). IM me if you want.
                            And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

We have these little "drinks" in the supermarket - Sophie and I have them - they seem to stop any incidence of thrush etc and i've had lots of operations over past 12 years with heaps of antibiotics and never had a tunny upset ot thrush, so i'm convinced. Eat yoghurt alot too and take those supplements from chemist when think may be prone to stuff (it's kept in fridge too).

Cashy
                              "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                              X