Motorised treadmill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorised treadmill

Just ordered motorised treadmill.......kid wanted it as part of Christmas........bonus is, "I" get to use it.
    I know sweet fanny adams about treadmills. It`s a Reebok one, and being a typical woman, I chose it probably primarily on its sleek, trendy appearance and that fact that it can fold for storage.

No laughing now, d`ya hear!!!! Big question is.........what`s the technique for a treadmill novice, like, how do you use the bloody thing for maximum "return"? :H

Thanks,

Star x

Motorised treadmill

I think you get the most return on walking on the treadmill Star:H
    Marcie

Comment

Motorised treadmill

Star,

You can walk on it or you can use it to hang dirty clothes on.

Not sure which is best. :H

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Motorised treadmill

I find that my stair master makes the ideal clothes catcher.
        For a full body workout, fold and unfold your foldable treadmill 128 times each day.
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Motorised treadmill

a MOTORIZED tread mill? Brilliant! I thought you had to walk on the darn things to make them go!! Well, color me motivated! Does it come with a remote control? If I'm sitting in my recliner, I wouldn't want to have to get up to change speeds

Seriously, though. The only things you set, I think, are the speed and the inclination. Leave the inclination for later. The contro panel may look like an airplane cockpit ,but nearly all of it has to do with preprogrammed combinations of speeds and so forth. Again, leave them for later and add them when they look fun. They group the speeds into two broad categories:cardio and fat burning. It will be in the owner's manual based on your weight , age and so forth.

If you know all this, I appologize, just skip it....
          Stretch out gently but thoroughly before hand and afterward. Start with a brisk walk for 20minutes a day and go up from there. Be kind to yourself as you increase your workout intensity and you can avoid unnecessary knee pain or shin splits that adults are more prone to than we all were when we were younger. Make it fun and easy, so have the radio, the TV, a book or magazine around. From there, listen to your heart (or some better advice) and keep it up. A consistant, gentle workout that you stick with will do you lots better than any sort of amazon triathelete regimine that makes you too sore to look forward to it.

Way to go Star!

Cheers,
          Dave

Comment

Motorised treadmill

treadmills are fun. especially if you need to vent out some stress or anger. and as said before, stretching is really important.
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Motorised treadmill

Good music w/headphones! And a good book!:goodjob: inkele: inkele:
              The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Motorised treadmill

Star, what I've found easiest on my elliptical is to use the manual setting for now. I just hit start and then I can manually increase the resistance if I want or else just go faster.
                Marcie

Comment

Motorised treadmill

And, Don't forget to clip the "automatic shut-off" to your clothing... People have been known to be rocketed through the back wall if/when they fall during their workout... :0

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Motorised treadmill

My 'musts' for a treadmill workout

See your Dr and make sure your body is OK to do this. I'm sure you are, but this is no time to find out that you may be a stroke/heart attack candidate with high blood pressure or clogged arteries!
                    Get a really good pair of shoes, I have found cross-trainers or shoes specifically designed for walking work best. Try on as many pairs as you have to - walk around in them a bit in the store and spend a little extra (this part killed me but it was worth it - I am 'frugal' by nature and shelling out $70.00 for a pair of tennis shoes almost did me in!).
                    Only wear these shoes when you work out.

Start slow - slower than you think you need to for the first 2 weeks. Go in 20 minute sessions every other day, or e5 days a week if you think you can handle it. If your machine has a milage gauge - go no more than 2.0 mph.

On the 3rd and 4th week - either increase your speed - 2.5 - 3.0 miles or increase the time you are on your treadmill - add 10 more minutes making it a full half hour.
                    On the 5th week, begin by adding either incremental miles per hour or time in 10 minute slots. If you have kept up a steady regim, this should not be a problem.

Its OK to sweat - and sweat a lot! That's you body's way of telling you everything is working. If you don't sweat, but are breathing hard - too hard to say the alphabet without gasping for breath - you are pushing yourself too hard. Take it down a notch either in duration or speed.

I must have when I work out MUSIC! A vendor gave me an Ipod a couple of years ago for helping him out and I thank him everyday. These things are great, small and easy to use and customize.
                    Water - cold and plentiful. I drink it all the time while I am walking on the treadmill. At least a quart per session.
                    Something to read. Book, magazine - not always needed, but nice to have. I have a special holder that attaches to my machine to keep it from falling on the floor.
                    A fan - in the summer mostly - blowing on me from either the front of the back. Now that it's cold, I don't really miss it since I can just open a window.
                    Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X