SAMe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAMe

I finally got a hold of some SAMe through my drug dealer and now I read on the package that it shouldn't be used by those with bipolar disorder. Anyone know anything about this?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

SAMe

It's because all antidepressants can cause mania in anyone with bipolar. I think it can be used as long as you are aware of this so you can stop or reduce the SAMe if you feel mania coming on. If you are on a mood stabilizer you might not have to worry at all. I like SAMe but take the very lowest dose because it upsets my stomach. I only take it occaissionally when I am feeling low. St Johns Wort did nothing for me.
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

Comment

SAMe

I tried it (one dose) and it is one of the worst things I ever did. Went into a manic frenzy that lasted 4 days. I do not recommend toying with this if there is even a slight suspicion of bipolar... unless you are out to end your life in a spectacularly uncomfortable fashion.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

SAMe

Oh god, Beatle - how awful. Thanks for sharing this though. I"m in the midst of another round of depression-hell, and just went to the health food store. Got some mega-dose of gaba and 5-htp with tyrosine, and was eyeing the SAMe. Thanks for the warning - I'll steer clear.
        I hope you feel bettter.
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

SAMe

I also tried 5-HTP. It gave me wild, hallucination-like dreams. So, clearly, there is some chemical problem in my brain in dealing with seratonin, since that is what all of these medications/natural meds do-- increase seratonin (something that is supposed to be great, but not for me).

But most people get fantastic results from the 5-HTP, so please don't get scared away. Same goes for SAMe. You should not be scared by my experience unless you have been diagnosed as, or suspect you are, bipolar.

Comment

SAMe

Beatle, thank you so much for give a heads up to those here that are bipolar or supect that they might be.......as we know, there can be allergies or side effects to almost anything, foods, vitamins, natural and chemical remedies etc. When it comes to drugs, there are simply no, one size fits all.....so it is always good to proceed with caution.
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

SAMe

Wow beatle I've never heard of such a reaction to either supplement! I wonder if there is a reaction with your other meds?
              - George Jackson

Comment

SAMe

I don't take other meds, so I don't think that is it. I do take lithium oratate, but all the research I've done shows no possibility of such a combination reaction. But I have tried several SSRIs, and had similar reactions (as to the SAMe). That is the reason I was "diagnosed" as bipolar. But I did not believe I was bipolar as I never had manic episodes when I was off SSRIs. Now I understand what the doctors meant. I wish they had xplained it to me better.

Comment

SAMe

Oh, I see. I got a little manic on Zoloft and have trouble sleeping on other SSRI's so I probably have Bipolar II, soft bipolar, cyclomythia, whatever you want to call it. I have never had mania off of antidepressants. I now use EMSAM, the antidepressant patch, it is the best I've found with zero mania and the least disruption of sleep. I take the patch off at bedtime (which I'm not supposed to) just to make sure there are no side effects disrupting my sleep. My depression is mild anyway so I'm good.
                  - George Jackson

Comment

SAMe

Very interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Comment

SAMe

I tried SAMe for about a week, but found that it increased my anxiety...I'd be driving down the road and WHAM I'd be hit with what are probably "small" anxiety attacks. Being a person whose never had them before, I figured they were triggered by the SAMe, and after researching it a bit, I saw that was one of the potential side effects. Sure enough, when I stopped taking it, I didn't have any more.
                      Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

SAMe

On Dr. Ray Sahelian's website, he suggests taking much smaller doses of SAM-e (100-200mg. per day or even every other day). I don't know his background or reputation - found it while googling SAM-e. I just started taking 400mg. daily, and feel like I've consumed an entire pot of coffee for hours afterwards! I might try cutting my dose in half.
                        With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts (Eleanor Roosevelt)

Comment

SAMe

I can only take 100mg a day because it upsets my stomach. I believe almost all antidepressants increase anxiety.
                          - George Jackson

Comment

SAMe

Im up from taking 200mg a day to 400mg a day.

Been on the stuff for about two weeks [ SAM-E ] and though I feel better, it could be the result of being AF for two weeks also.

Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                            X