Dr Jeckyl Mr Hyde - Meet my husband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new: First time here.... my husband has finally gone to sleep after yet another evening of copious amounts of alcohol, insults, expletives and throwing things around the room. I feel like I'm at the end of the road. I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter, a lovely home, my own business and a husband who is the most wonderful man by day, and a totally different person by night. This may sound crazy but his whole appearance changes when he's drunk... his eyes... they're totally different to when he is sober... he almost has this like wild look that comes over him. He has assaulted me once (went to rehab directly after the incident) and has threatened me in a similar way once since, this is over a period of 3 and a half years...

I'm so desperate to help him, and am not dealing with the whole "it's his problem" approach, and "I'm not responsible for his actions". It is so frustrating. He claims it's hell for him when he is that drunk. He is actually scary to watch... he'll bellow like a wild animal, swear and bang things... it's like there's someone inside him that is so frustrated with life, so unbelievably angry and desperate. He'll even discuss his problem in a totally sane way in the morning. The other morning he told me about some injection you can get that makes you violently ill if you even have a drop of alcohol. (Is this so???) But by the evening, the thought of him being in the market for that is laughable...

I'm on an emotional yoyo. The mornings are full of sweet talk, apologies and mature approaches to a serious problem, and the nights are hijacked by a crazy, irrational, scary person let loose by the booze...

I don't know what to do.... one of the things that scares me to death is the thought of something happening to me and my daughter age 3 being left in his care, him getting drunk and something happening to her as a result...I NEVER want her to ever be alone with him or need to depend on him when he is drunk.

I'm going on and on here... just so many thoughts going through my head and actually great to have somewhere to vent... I must confess I'm one of those that puts on the "everything is ok" face with family and friends but am starting to crack up inside. I don't want anyone thinking any less of my husband... but when the monster comes out at night... I detest him.

I wish there was a recipe to make this all go away.

Hi EJK!

Every word you wrote could of come from my ex partner. It describes me perfectly. Or should I say 'described' me perfectly. The rolling eyes in the back of my head, the strange talk about nonsensical things that bear so much importance to the 'drunk', the jokes that are meant to be funny (only in the mind of the 'drunk') but come out as obnoxious and hateful. There are so many descriptions I could make but I feel you have witnessed them all already. My partner used to think I was schizophrenic, she would of course be able to have a rational conversation with me the following morning though. The fact was though even though I new I had done something wrong and acted like a total idiot I still felt the need to defend my actions also. I always had a "BUT?" for everything that was brought up.

EJK I wish I could help you more on this one, I really do but I am coming from the other side as it where. I can relate to your story so much but solving that problem is still something I am going through myself. I'm 37 years old and have a 3 year old daughter myself and getting sober has made me realise that I DO have a daughter. It was the biggest wake up call in the world for me. Unfortunately for me to get to that stage I had to finally hit my rock bottom. Sometimes that is the only way I'm afraid.

My heart really goes out to you as I do know NOW how you must be feeling.

I do hope someone on here can offer you the advise you are looking for.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi EJK and welcome.
      It is not acceptable for your husband to almost carry on as normal the morning after. He can be sorry `til he`s blue in the face.........no amount of sorries can make up for what you are suffering night after night.

Obviously he knows he has a problem and yes, there are various meds available to help him kick the booze. However, it seems as if he conveniently forgets all about his behaviour as soon as he has won you round with yet another apology, which frees him up to do more of the same to you.

Him being sorry cannot make anything better or negate anything he has done. You need to tell him that the sorries are pointless as they are insincere if he blatantly hits the bottle night after night, knowing full well just how obnoxious and scary it makes him to you.

You need to get your man to face up to the situation as is and seek as much help as possible to fight his drink problem. You can certainly support him, but the decision to quit drinking has to be his own. You and your little girl deserve so much better.

Wishing you love and strength that you may find peace.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

EJK, thank you for coming here and talking about this. I am so sorry you are going through this. Those of us who have been or are still in the same sort of pace he is in can unfortunately relate. Nonetheless, I agree with Starlight: he can not be allowed to do this any more. You have a small child and you need to protect her from this behavior. Even if he is not physically abusive to you or her, the yelling and insults and expletives is very stressful and damaging to a small child who witnesses it every night and increases the likelihood that she will later on seek out the same sort of problems in her relationships.

Plus, you deserve a husband, and your girl needs a daddy, not a scary monster guy.

I think you need to tell him he needs to get help or he's out of there. If he refuses and continues with his behavior, the it's up to you to either kick him out, or take your kid and leave and contact a lawyer. I'm sorry, but like Hippie says, sometimes people need to hit rock bottom, and right now hubby is getting away with being a drunken a-hole and frightening his family. Maybe the threat of losing that family will be what it takes to wake him up. Maybe it won't. But you have a beautiful little girl and she needs to have a calm and supportive home. My heart goes out to you both.
        And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

He needs to leave FIRST and then get help..He will never do it if you let him stay.
          Buy the book "Freedom From Addiction" by Neil T. Anderson
          Read it and then do what you know you have to do.
          This book tells your story from both your side and your husband's. It is a true story.
          You have to save yourself and your child.....1ST..
          God bless you and protect you.

Love,
          "Belle"
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Hi EJK, I agree with everything that's been said so far. I am sorry for your situation.
            Sometimes just by tolerating this behaviour it enables the person acting this way to
            think it's ok to carry on. You deserve better, I agree with Ratana, he must go, it could
            just be the wake up call he needs.
            Love and best wishes to you. Keep in touch.
            Paula.

Comment

Please, please put your daughter's well being first. She is still young enough that if you make him leave now and get his act together she might not have scary memories of him. Do not put up with this. Nothing will ever change by allowing him to get away with this every night. You sound like you are a very independent woman owning your own business and could do fine on your own. He needs to know he is about to lose his family if he does not make serious changes. Please be strong!
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

What a hellish situation.....so, so sorry for you :l

But all he knows is that you let him get away with this behaviour. Why should he stop?

If you 'want him back' you've got to 'kick the drunk out' first...either literally or metaphorically......for you and your little one......sorry -tough love!

Wishing you the right way forward :h

Suze x
                Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

EJK,
                  Yes, as those before me have stated, you need to tell him your concerns for your child.
                  He needs to understand that he has crossed a line and that something needs to be changed now.
                  Whether he is able to is an entirely different subject. Is he willing to be apart of this site?
                  This is a wonderful support group.
                  Ultimatums will not work. You will need to make your decisions with or without him.
                  Just leave him a path to come with you in hopes that he is strong enough.
                  It may take a while - years, perhaps. This is harder than we think.
                  Stay with us and let us know how you are.

Dx
                  * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Hi EJK; I suggest you have him talk to hippie and me. My ex-girlfriend called me a monster. I had no clue what I was doing to her because of my blackouts. I promised many times to stop, and wanted to more than anything. Unfortunately, she is gone. She left me with several recorded messages from this monster. I could not bear to listen for more than a few seconds. I have been AF since she left Oct. 9th, I would do anything to have her back. I will never let alcohol take anything I love away from me again. I hope he realizes before it is too late. peace and happiness

Comment

"it's like there's someone inside him that is so frustrated with life, so unbelievably angry and desperate."

EJK - Hello. Welcome.

Everyone here is so dear and special to me and come up with such amazing advice...but I went cold when I read so many 'leave hims'..'he must leaves'... The quote above is exactly how I felt. How I was..... and yet the 'angry and desperate' had a lot to do with being left alone....good old 'adandonment issues'. Yes, I had to deal with them once and for all but the biggest way I did was by being here with folk who wont 'leave me'...who are here for me. And we can be here for you both in the same way...but how much better it would be for you to still be there for each other and together for your daughter?

My guess is that each night he feels terrified and desperate about...well, whatever it is. Then he sees himself 'losing it' and is so angry with himself that he drinks more to 'run away' from that feeling. He is perhaps scared to death of losing you and his little girl. And hence, in the morning, he is full of remorse and discussion - not because he is a monster or schizo - just a man loving his family to bits and hating himself. And the hate grows daily (or nightly!

I do hope you can find a way of saying - nay, firmly stating
                      - this cannot go on....but that you wont leave him. If that is what you don't want to do....

It is true to say that most of us have had to stop the drink to truly begin to discover what the deep, deep reasons we drank/drink are and then be able to do some healing. For some it IS a chemical/genetic thing - you don't say (not that you should have!) whether there is a history of alcoholism in his family or how long his drinking has been fully going on? 3.5 years plus a lot or a little? But I don't know that it is always necessary for someone to be 'abandoned' to see the light.....I feel it can leave even deeper scars that lead to further problems later on. IF, of course, the 'ishoo' is anything to do with that at all....I realise I am projecting my stuff out here. Sorry. But I felt I had to say it in case....I'd hate your hubby to be feeling like I did!

Without drink I am much stronger. I have dealt with more 'stuff' since stopping (although I have the occasional glass of wine now), not, I don't think, because there isn't booze in my system, but because I finally woke up to just how important it was to make radical changes in my life about my 'triggers' (parents/jobs/life!) because I NEVER wanted to go there again - to feel that Monster take me over. I am not that monster and I like myself now. I had years of therapy and understood a lot but until things got out of hand earlier this year, I never really understood just how imperative it was for these decisions to be made....although I guess I did have to hit my 'rock-bottom'.

I wish you and your hubby and little girl so much love and luck. I do hope you can both come here and receive the amazing support and help MWO out has offer along with all the sups, meds, CD's etc etc that Roberta Jewel has taken such loving care over...

FMS xx
                      :heart: c: :heart:
                      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

FMS, I do understand how you feel, when people say leave someone because of their
                        drinking, but sometimes this can be the only way to make that person realise that their
                        behaviour is out of control. I think that to tolerate this on a daily basis is just like saying
                        ok, you can do whatever you want, and I will let you get away with it, walk all over me.
                        I would only suggest this as a last resort. I believe EJK owes it to herself and her child,
                        to make her husband see that he must get help. I also hope they can both come to MWO
                        and get some help and support, like the rest of us on this site have been able to do.
                        It is so good to see you getting well FMS.
                        Love Paula. xx

Comment

I can agree with everything that has been said above. welcome EJK . The only thing I can add here is that you are enabling him. as long as you accept his apologies in the morning, he will forget what he has done the night before, and things will continue to spiral out of control.

You coming here and asking for advice is a sign to me that you are looking for help and want this situation to improve. your husband needs to know that if he doesn't get help now. He will not only cause himself more pain and sorrow, but also his child and wife.

Does he want help? will he go to a doctor to get advice? will he read RJ's book?

welcome again and the best of luck

Peace and light

Trix
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

THANK YOU ALL!!!

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has responded to my message. I cannot tell you what a wonderful feeling it is knowing that I'm not alone. I have been overwhelmed by the kindness and honesty I've experienced.

I have found it particularly interesting and helpful getting perspectives and advice from BOTH sides. FMS, it was your note that inspired me to confront my husband in a different way, and his response was quite remarkable. Trying to understand what it's like being held in the grips of this disease, for someone who isn't, is not an easy task. Your note just gave me a new angle.

We've just been out for a pleasant alcohol free evening, my daughter is now asleep and we're chilling!!! I'm not in tears & what can I say... it's a lovely change. One day at a time.... right?

So....just for today... things were really good. Let's hope it continues. Thank you again SO Much to EVERYONE who took the time to respond to me. It has been a unexpected lifeline

Merry Christmas!

Comment

EJK - that sounds lovely....I wish you many more days/evenings like today...and especially a warm, calm and loving Christmas....thinking of you all.

Hugs FMS xx
                              :heart: c: :heart:
                              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                              X