Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 7

Hey everyone in Absville!
    Day 7 is here...congratulations on a week!

Don't forget to congratulate Jane on a month!! :smokin

Sorry but I have to contradict myself from yesterday, because on second thought, forget the gorilla! It was fun while it lasted, but too much fighting is not necessarily productive! You're out Magilla! So go beat your chest somewhere else...

Instead I think we should surrender, not to anything or anyone, but surrender our negative thoughts and actions... let them go, and focus on our goals. That's really what I want to say, and that's really what's been working for me these past (almost) 3 months. I've given up a vicious habit that accompanied my drinking: negative thinking. Including pointing the finger mentally, and feeling like I'm a victim of my own life. As I begin to let all that go I see how little it serves to add anything good to my life, or help me reach my potential, or enable me to feel good about myself each day.

Surrendering, forgiving, letting things go, yeah, easier said than done, but think about how much sense it makes. I.e. in your heart, do you think the stuff you hold on to is really protecting you from further hurt? Or could it in fact be holding you to the hurt, and preventing you from being free to create the life you want?

Our thoughts lead to actions. If I keep entertaining negative thoughts, the bottle will be there to make it all better someday, "because I'm right and the world is against me & I deserve a break!" etc... But if I surrender thoughts like that, what am I left with is "Ok, that's not getting me where I want to go, what's next, how do I go forward?" When I'm able to step outside that mindset, I open myself up to movement and growth. Then, when I'm there, there are so many constructive things I want to do, so much joy in the journey.

Today I am trying to surrender my anger and anxiety and angst at having this affliction, I want to embrace it now because it has put me on the road to becoming a real woman, to being the person I was meant to be. Hmmm, can you love a disease? I don't know, but I want to love it because it's a part of me.

Gee, wish I could crunch all that into ONE paragraph, but bed is looking good right now...

So folks, I now pass the wheel to our exquisite Susan! She will be taking the captain's seat for the week, because you all have been so good and deserve a reward! :lol Happy flying! Thanks Susan!

Have an abs-olutely beautiful day :y

Deirdre

At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice.
    -Maya Angelou

Day 7

day 7

Hi everyone,
    Just checking in.
    Happy day 7 to all
    GS

Comment

Day 7

Hi all - checking in.

Thanks for the 'welcome-backs'. And thanks very much, cv, for the info about hypnosis. I contacted someone here and she suggested a program very much like what you described. Thanks also for the calorie counter info; it's convinced me I need to go on a diet.

I dropped the ball again last night, after only two days. Not too badly ? a beer, but a big beer. *sighs heavily* Start again. I think I'm going to try the hypnotherapist as a penultimate resort, before I give meds a go.

Hope you're all well. Congrats sujul on 87 days! Wow! What an inspiration. I'd love to do that.

Andrew

Comment

Day 7

Happy Day 7!

Hi Gang,

Congratulations it's day7! Keep it up and keep smiling!

Matt

Comment

Day 7

Good morning Absville!

Congrats on 7 (or more days), congrats on 1 or more days, congrats, congrats for being here! Andrew, welcome back--it's all about not giving up on ourselves, knowing we have a reason TO BE WHAT WE CAN BE! And, that definitely means surrendering--not our REAL selves, but the negative self-image we are holding on to...thanks, Deirdre!

GS, good to hear from you! Matt, good work! Kate, thanks for the tip about the Maya Angelou poem...wow! Hope you're having a great day!

Actually, I hope EVERYONE is having a great day...and even a bad day can be a GREAT day! I've said it before (and I'll say it again..and again...and again... )--the "bad" days are the days we have the opportunity to go forward, make the changes we know we need to make to get on with the rest of our lives! The good days are our reward for doing the work on the bad days!

So, whether this is a "reward day" or a "working day"--let's make it a Great Day!"
          :h
          susan

Comment

Day 7

Checkin in....lots to do today. Startin my second month of abs today. : ) Day 31 Very happy with me !!!!! Dr appt check in today. Think he will be pleased too. Love ya all.....be back later. gab

Comment

Day 7

Day 2 for me

Hi everyone,

So, this is a place to vent/share feelings, right? Well, I'm on Day 2 (joined the group late) and already have my first "test". I have a friend/acquaintance who I used to be very good friends with, but who lately has been driving me insane (long story short all she talks about are a bf (not a great situation) and her dogs...rarely pays attention to anything but herself, etc). I know she had gone through a difficult time, so I still want to be there for her, but woudl also like to not stangle her. 8) Usually I give myself a little "distance" but making sure I've had a drink (or 5) before I hang out with her, and there's usually aclohol wherever we hang out. Well, I promised her ages ago that I'd help her pack (moving to be closer to her new guy), and today's the day. I am REALLY tempted to just "have a little something" before going over, but i's only been 36 hours since my last drink!!! Not a great sign for the rest of the month, but I want to get through it. I figure If I've posted the problem for actual people to read, it will help me get though it (especially since I will be reporting back on the outcome tomorrow).

anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Congrats to everyone who's here (no matter how long). This is way harder than it seems!!!

-Laura

Comment

Day 7

Day 2 for me

Hi everyone,

So, this is a place to vent/share feelings, right? Well, I'm on Day 2 (joined the group late) and already have my first "test". I have a friend/acquaintance who I used to be very good friends with, but who lately has been driving me insane (long story short all she talks about are a bf (not a great situation) and her (in the process of being highly trained) dogs...rarely pays attention to anything but herself, etc). I know she had gone through a difficult time, so I still want to be there for her, but woiuld also like to not strangle her. :smokin Usually I give myself a little "distance" but making sure I've had a drink (or 5) before I hang out with her, and there's usually alcohol wherever we hang out. Well, I promised her ages ago that I'd help her pack (moving to be closer to her guy), and today's the day. I am REALLY tempted to just "have a little something" before going over, but it's only been 36 hours since my last drink!!! Not a great sign for the rest of the month, but I want to get through it. I figure If I've posted the problem for actual people to read, it will help me get past it (especially since I will be reporting back on the outcome tomorrow).

anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Congrats to everyone who's here (no matter how long). This is way harder than it seems!!!

-Laura
                :P

Comment

Day 7

oops

sorry - didn't mean to post twice! Is tehre any way to delete one of them?

Comment

Day 7

day 7

Hi all.....posted earlier but went away.....so this will be short...
                    Doin good here....It finally rained in Alabama:happy

60 gallons of blackberry wine ready to bottle...please pray for me!:P

Dee....when did you get so smart? you must be 100 years old!!:d

Love and good thoughts for all of you today and this weekend.

Nancy:h

Comment

Day 7

Re: day 7

Hey all,

Day 7 is here - damn month is flying by. Welcome back painter. I'm glad to see you are back on board.

Probably you are already doing this, painter - but you are keeping track right - like little inebriation calendar? When I was first starting out every little slip seemed so big, but really, at the end of the month I had made SO much progress. Sounds like you are doing an excellent job. Good for you!! I still have to print out mine for July so can count out my Alcohol Free days for the last three months. Can't do in head - blamin' it on duh topa.

Still cleaning ... and am planning on carrying rest of school stuff to basement. Would like to bring up "gorilla racks" from basement (someone had to work gorilla into post in fresh way today) into garage today. Also, carry rest of stuff from upper office into lower basement office. And walk - gonna do it yesto, promise!!!

Have nice day all,
                      Pansy

Comment

Day 7

Re: day 7

Hey ya'll stainers,

Congrats to all of us for 7 whole abs days in July already! That's like a whole week! Heck, I'm with Susan on this one... Congrats to everyone for every day, hour or even a minute of staining!

Day 31 out of 32 here. Yes, Deirdre. That's a whole month... tee hee. Amazing... Really amazing... My "real life" support network are sooooo happy 'bout that too.

Gabby? Wanna share the paper tiarra for the one month mark today? You did good, girl!!!

Lori, Geeeeees I hope you do OK today. Sounds like that "friend" is gonna suck the life right outta you if ya let her...

Painter, You're making progress! Keep up the good work...

GS, Matt, Kate... I see you in my "majic mirror"... Miss June lent it to me... Oh look, there's Pansy lookin' so fine and standing tall and proud... And Nancy too! Uhmm Nan? BACK AWAY FROM THE BLACKBERRIES!!! Here in Romper Room, we stick to good ole H2O... It's soooooooo good for you and yummy too!

HAPPY NOT HUNGOVER FIRST FRIDAY IN JULY Y'ALL!

Comment

Day 7

Good Afternoon Absers!

Just got through shopping and carrying "gorilla loads" (:lol ) from the car to my apartment...it's always an adventure driving in NYC! But now I'm up in da Bronx (well, almost--very last point in Manhattan), I can drive to a grocery store! Major adventure... I only got my license again a few weeks ago (I let in expire about 20 years ago 'cuz I didn't need it in the city, plus I was just too lazy to stand in line for hours....)...so, anyway, now that I'm sober I'm actually driving around! Wow!

Okay, what's everyone's plan for the weekend?? Gotta have a plan!

My plan:
                          Going to Vermont as usual for the weekend...I've stocked up on low-cal Fuze (yummy fruit drink) and fruity herbal teas (great for making iced tea!), AND lots of salad supplies and other healthy stuff I don't have to cook...on Saturday I have to garden and make the curtains I didn't make last weekend...on Sunday, watching the World Cup final (love, love soccer--I'm actually rooting for France--even tho' I'm English and my grandfather played for England; but then, England isn't in the finals...:| )...watching it with some friends who don't drink...amazing how many non-drinking friends I have really!

So, anyway that's my plan for an abs weekend... Anyone else have a plan? Hmmmm?
                          susan

Comment

Day 7

Hey friends,
                            Wonderful pondering points today Deirdre, I have known these things for a while but just keep falling into the trap.

Laura, some people do tend to suck the life right out of you. I am friend to some, one in particular, who really and truly need a shoulder, but drain me in every way. I think Deirdre's opening today really hits on it though. I am not an advocate of removing negative people from your life (though some believe this is necessary) rather I take "breaks" from them. If you are a person of faith you can gain tremondous relief from giving the person over(surrendering them) to God. This has been true for me but usually after I have made myself sick over it. Also remember, this is not a program that demands you don't drink. We think everyone has to find THIER way out. This has meant drinking through some things until we realize it's not helping. Only you can make that determination. Blessings to you as you work through this.

Prayers and hugs to you Belle (don't know how far I'd get packing yummy wine).

Guys, so glad you're here to add some nice male spice One day sober is all any of us have, rejoice in it!

Love to all here,
                            Lori

Comment

Day 7

I am still with you, and still painting that garage. Diedre's opening today reminded me of our trip to Thailand and a conversation we had with a monk there. He said in essence that we waste so much time and energy on the past or planning for tomorrow that we miss today, and today is the only thing we really can impact. So we need to "control our monkey minds" and teach ourselves to live in the present. I really need to read more on the Buddhist philosophy, it sounds pretty wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X