Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 8

Good Morning Absville!

Hard to believe we're flying into our second week, isn't it?!! Congratulations to everyone here, no matter where you are in your journey!

As I was reading the posts yesterday I was struck by the real courage it takes to look at ourselves and our lives and say: I want to change. Because, you know, this change we want to make in ourselves and the way we are living isn't about a quick fix or a minor tweak here and there--it's about courage. I think we often forget that, which is why we get so down on ourselves when we slip up.....this isn't easy, but IT CAN BE DONE!

So, everyone, here's to courage, our courage! Just by being here we have already demonstrated that we have the courage we need to make better choices for ourselves--so give yourselves a pat on the back!

Me, I'm going back to sleep! I'll check back later! In the meantime, onwards and upwards, you special people! Courage!
    :h
    susan

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are."

Bernice Johnson Reagon

Day 8

'Morning 'stainers,

Day 32 out of 33 here.

It's a good Saturday y'all... No hangover, no sick stomach, no diarrhea... no GUILT. Feels pretty good, huh?

I like what you said about courgage, Susan... Here's another one... Courage to rediscover yourself. Not just yourself, but those around you as well...

I've hidden behind a buzz for so many years... Yk, trying to escape the ugly parts of life. But today I realize I was hidding from the good parts of life too. Why? I guess I've basically been a coward... Too scared to face the tough stuff and too messed up in the head to truley believe I deserved the good stuff... What a waste!

This last month has been a trip... Facing life sober. Seeing it for what it is for the first time in a looooooong time. It's been ackward to say the least. And it does take courage! It's kinda scary yk? It's definatly the unknown zone... But I just gotta look at it as a new adventure... New and exciting! So...

Move over Cowardly Lion... We're off to see the wizard!(And maybe a few yard sales too... tee hee)

HAPPY NOT HUNGOVER SATURDAY Y'ALL!

Comment

Day 8

Hey, Jane -
      Happy not hung over Saturday back at ya!!!
      Just checking in here, on my way to work. Went to a music festival with my kids yesterday and had a great time. Beer all over and no cravings - but that's not too fair - that would never have been my venue to drink. All at home alone with a bottle of brandy - no driving, get a drunk as you want - you know.....
      Yesterdays posts were really good - I have some thoughts - I hope to be able to back later to write them down - but if not today, another. Lots of sober days ahead to pick from!!!!!!!!!1
      I'm so proud of us all!!!!!!!!!!!1
      Peggy

Comment

Day 8

Peggy, I am so like what you describe. I rarely drink much away from home - worried about driving and trying to keep how much I drink a secret. When I went on vacation in May abs was easier at a beach than at home. Maybe the answer is to vacation more!

I only have 8 days going for me at this point, but it is inspiring to hear from those of you who have kept up your progress. Jane, over a month! For some reason this month seems easier to me than past efforts. Not sure if it is a mental thing and I am finally ready to face this or if adding the L-Glut helped - maybe both.

Anyhow it is back to the garage and what I hope will eventually be a new, improved pottery work space in one corner. Then we are going to an outdoor concert tonight. Enjoy your weekend!

Comment

Day 8

Good Morning All,

Welcome to the Captain?s seat Susan! Glad to have you there!

I have been busy getting ready for my camping trip. I told you all that I keep a daily journal so one thing I decided to do in preparation for this year?s trip was to read last year?s journal. Mind you, I did not expect it to be an easy read but man was it hard!

There was so much sadness and confusion on those pages that it made cry to read them. It is quite clear to me now that I had such a minimal understanding of what I was going through last year, and I had little or no awareness of how bad it was about to get. All the signs were there though! If only I had known what that sadness and confusion was about to turn into, perhaps I could have stopped it! Clearly I was a lady in deep trouble, and headed worse!

Although it was difficult to read that journal I am very glad that I have it. There is something to be said for the written word, especially when it is your own. There is no hiding from the truth when it is staring you smack dab in the face! So, what has this taught me? Well, it has taught me to keep writing for one thing. It is great to be able to look at last year and compare it to this year?what a difference! Certainly I have come along way, and I have learned so much, about so many things!

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason, even the bad stuff. It is simply our job to take the lessons learned from our experiences and apply them to making a better life for ourselves and for those around us. Certainly we can choose not to do this, but I think for me, I will take the lessons learned, hard as they were, and move forward!

Congratulations to everyone here for doing so well. Really this does courage to do, so as Susan said, HERE?S TO COURAGE!

Have a great day all!

Donna

Comment

Day 8

Mornin all,
            Bad night in Bama............I fell into the vat of blackberrywine......pretty bad fall...I don't even feel like I should post on abs board....but...I will not give up...
            Its good to read your post and know that it can be done....I'm gonna call doc Monday and go talk to him about med to help.
            Plan for today.....work in hoophouse...fight off nasty white bugs....gave up on bell pepper plants and pulled them up.
            Feelin pretty rotten about myself right now, so I'm heading outside and work it off!!

Prayer for today....HELP, HELP, HELP
            THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!
            NANCY:P

Comment

Day 8

Good Saturday to all!

Hi Friends,

Day 8 (18) and going strong. Had friends over for dinner last night. They brought a bottle of wine. Got a little anxious at first but realized this was my first big test and if I didn't pass the only person I would be failing was myself.

Took half an L-glutamine under the tongue, poured my pomegranate juice and enjoyed the evening and company completely. This would have NEVER happened before starting the MWO program and I mean NEVER.

When our guests were leaving I noticed they were going to leave a half bottle of wine at our place so I actually picked it up, placed it in a bag, and made sure they took it home. I DO NOT need that kind of temptation right in front of me whispering into my ear. Again, this would have NEVER happened before beginning MWO. That bottle would never have seen the light of this morning in my previous life.

I can't tell you how absolutely wonderful it feels to have passed my first test. Thank you God, thank you friends and thank you MWO!

Keep moving forward friends. We're all in this together and it DOES get easier and each day gets better.

love,
              Matt

Note to Nancy: Your slip into the vat was just a reminder of how good it feels to stay dry. You will feel outstanding tomorrow with even more strength and stamina for the great days ahead. Hang in there Southern Belle (PS I'm in Tennessee).:happy

Comment

Day 8

Lessons Learned Nancy!!

You fall, you get back up! Of course in your case, blackberry stains may be a bit hard to get off the clothes! No really though, I am sure you do feel pretty rotten right about now and I wish mere words could make you feel better. Tomorrow is another day though, and we all here for you!! This is hard enough as it is, I can?t imagine having all that wine around 24/7! It is good that you are going to see the doc for some meds. Heck, if it can help there is nothing wrong with that at all! Go for it! It has helped so many of us here!! Good luck working it off!

Big Hugs to you!! :d

Donna

Comment

Day 8

Edit

oops,

Made a typo in my post. Today I am
                  celebrating day 18 !!

Unbelievable!

Matt

Comment

Day 8

checking in

Hi all! well, it was (very) close, but I made it. thanks for your good thoughts, and Lori & Deirdre for your advice. I really do need to realize she's a grown-up & needs to someday learn to take care of herself. I try to have faith that things are working out as planned, but it's hard when I see her clearly headed for some rough patches. Oh well - one problem at a time.

southernBelle - I'm a firm believer in the cliche "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" it may be trite, but I really believe it's true. Hang in there! You're posting again, which is more than I woudl have been able to do in the past! I'll send up a prayer for you!

Have a great day everyone!
                    -Laura

:P

Comment

Day 8

Hi
                      Lluf here and feeling llufly.Day 13. 2 weeks tomorrow:happy
                      and i could not have done it without you guys.
                      Nancy,chin up, remember, the simple prayers sometimes work better than the fancy ones.Live and learn is all we can do.
                      lluf

Comment

Day 8

Hang in there Nancy, you HAVE got a world of temptation there. I imagine all the years of tasting the wine at bottling time, and think how those rituals can have a huge pull on us... that could be one of the hardest things to do in abs - take a step back from. or even remove ourselves from activities that involve alcohol, and that also have a history that tie into complex emotions. You have many hands outstretched here to help you out of the vat, we'll help dry you off too, and get you back on track. So stay close, and good job coming right back & letting us know what's happening!
                        More prayers going out for you...

:d Deirdre

Comment

Day 8

Great post Susan!

I think courage is something I used to pull out only when I absolutely had to (which sometimes was everyday just to go to work!) Alcohol had weakened me to the point of exhaustion on so many levels. But now, I'm getting in the habit of forging ahead, even if it means doing things I really don't want to do, because I'm intent on making progress. Then there are different types of courage that we need to summon up for this journey: courage to face ourselves and the world through sober eyes; courage to face possible boredom; courage to be social without the protective cloak of alcohol; courage to believe our lives are worth living to the fullest. And much more. It sure is challenging, but SOOOO rewarding!

OMG. That quote has me in a nutshell! I was paralyzed by challenges, and I knew it. Now I DO see them as opportunities to discover who I am, to grow. Thanks for that!

Kris, "ONLY 8 days"? C'mon, thats a great accomplishment!!! I'm happy that whatever is working for you is working! Sometimes things just seem to click into place and work, other times it's more of a struggle. Glad to see you've hit your stride!

Donna, it must be very gratifying to see how far you've come, how your hard work has paid off, and will continue to. You're very brave to go back & read last years journal, wow! Yeah, here's to courage!!

Matt, great work on your first test. Your grade is 100% :lol See I was close - 18 days - almost 3 weeks. Congrats! Keep flying high!!

:h Deirdre

Comment

Day 8

Hi Everybody! Just popping to visit! It's lonely over in Mods Ville:c Guess everyone's out playing... Which is what I'm about to go do on the river for a while ...:happy ...surfs up!
                            You guys are great! Such inspiring posts over here! Thanks for letting me visit...:P :d Keep up the great work! :P :d ...Judie:rollin

Comment

Day 8

Yep, just what I was saying: we are one courageous bunch here!

Nancy, you are truly an inspiration to us all--not only do you remind us that we are all human and can fall into vats every once in a while, but we can climb back out again! Keep checking in, we're here for you! :d

:h
                              susan

Comment

Working...
                              X