Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some New Years Eve Thoughts

A Happy New Year to my fellows here.

A few thoughts and observations from a determined tee-totaler now.

I have my resolutions made. One is to run a 10K distance on the outdoor circuit. I seem to have hit a wall last year at the 6K distance, and now am resting up during this holiday season. All that cigarette and booze damage takes a while to undo it seems, but I?m getting there.

Another one, is to drop another 4 to 5% body fat, and hopefully see that abdominal six-pack bulging from what just to be an ugly beer gut just a little over 2 years ago. My weight is right on the money, so no more distance to go there, but need more muscle mass. It will be a lot of work for sure.

As to plans for this next year, there are many. My mind is clear like never before, and there will no be foggy, gut-wrenching, splitting-headache hangover for me tomorrow. No sirree. Further spiritual and emotional growths are the main destinations for 2008.

As for this evening, well, I?m just going to veg-out on some DVD?s, and do some serious financial analysis of my personal situation. I want to start tomorrow morning with all the bills, receipts, investments all squared away 100%, and ready to go. I got the new Simpsons movie, and the Futurama movie, so my DVD viewing will be pretty light-hearted comics for the child ?Neil?.

There is not even the slightest bit of desire to go out, gulp down noxious liquids that poison the brain, liver, and spirit. This is fantastic, because I am filled with even greater HOPE and HAPPINESS than ever before. Oh, I could go out to a local club, and see the masses getting shit-faced and goofy, but as they say, been there-done that. I really do like being sober, and in-control of my life. At midnight, I may however, engage in the local tradition of a small bit of fireworks, as they are legal year-round here. Out here in the boonies, a bit a noise making at the mark is ?de rigueur? for the widely spaced inhabitants.

In the end here, it is hard to convey the good feelings I have for the future and the coming year. Again, being sober and healthy, and finding a way to be totally OK and satisfied with it was just a wild fantastic dream I had many years ago.

Now I?m living it.

Happy New Year to you all.

Neil

Happy new year to you too neil..and what a lovely post, just about being happy, content and normal without the need for alcohol.
    I was going to go AF as of tomorrow but i decided to do it today instead and it feels lovely and i feel positive.
    Im not drunk crying on someones shoulder over what i havent achieved in the year or kissing some guy i would never go near in a million years...i am at home with my nana, sober and feeling really happy about it.
    In short...i feel good, an i wanna keep it that way

Lou-Lou x x
    "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Neil - a very, very happy 2008 to you! No booze is great (and very 'you' now!) but financially ready for the morning?!?!? WOW!!! That is GREAT!

Lou-Lou....good on you! So much 'classier' to say, "Oh, I gave up on New Year's Eve!" than "I gave up after New Year..." Former means powerful decisions. Latter suggests an appalling hangover that caused abstinence..... The former is impressive! Well done!

Me too....sitting here watching movies and the sports news.....with fizzy water...and about to go to watch the town fireworks....and avoid the dodgy revellers.

T'is a good feeling isn't it, Neil!!! I'll think of you when a rocket goes up!!

Happy New Year!

FMS xx
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Good for you Lou. Wishing you the best.

Oh yea, I have a slow-cooker going now with 1/3 black-eyed peas, 1/3 lentils, and 1/3 pinto beans with over half-dozen herbs. Basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and some others. Is starting to smell oh so very good. Tomorrow I will "bean-out" per the good luck for New Years. Also have my enzyme supplments all laid out, to see if I can avoid the methane manufacture overload in the lower regions. We'll see.

Neil

Comment

FMS:

A very good and clear New Year to you.

I don't have any rockets here, but got a dozen roman candles, and some M-100 firecracker bombs. The dogs do not like the big blasting things, so just the roman candles, which I think Petey may like.

Neil

Comment

Thanks FMS...and yes it does feel good!!

Neil....sounds delicious, any chance of you shipping me a batch over..lol i think methane over production is much more preferable to a stinking hangover and horrid feelings about oneself!

Lou-Lou x x
            "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Neil, FMF and Lou,

I am sitting here typing on MWO as my three grandchildren are watching Spiderman 3 on Papa's new Blue Ray capable Playstation 3.

Just seeing the four of them all huddled up together, rapt, children happy, Papa ecstatic over his new Christmas toy makes my life so complete.

This is too precious to mess up with something so noxious as booze.

I go into the New Year grateful for my husband, my children and beautiful daughter-in-law and even more precious grandchildren.

Had to share.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi:

You know that being sober, is a first step to "being there" for real. There is the good to see, as well as the other. So glad you are "being there" for your family, and seeing the good in the simple things. This is a key thing I have always believed.

BTW, I think one of my first presents to myself, with all my gift cards from Christmas, will be a HD-DVD player. If Blu-Ray wins out, then I will just have to get one of those next year!

Neil

Comment

I keep on clicking away from my Quicken program and spreadsheets for some reason.

Forgot to add, I am now only 15 minutes away from having the entire "Planet of the Apes" movie series recorded to DVD as well. They are playing the entire 5 movies back to back on AMC today, and they will restart here when this last one is over. Why? I don't know why. I'm an incessant movie recorder and collector, now having almost 1000 titles in my collection of DVD's. Mr. Multitasker today.

Neil

Comment

Neil.

I came on here to do some reflection - I was thinking about how far I've come since 3 years ago. My whole family did a massive review of last year and a hopes and fears for this year. You are right. Its good to BE here.

I was going to post a long thing but your post pretty much says it.

Enjoy your dvds. Me, I am INTO West Wing right now.

Brigid

Comment

[ame= ]YouTube - Muzik Overlay - Episode #3[/ame]
                      Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

As usual I come to the long-term abstainers forum for some great inspiration to chew on and found your wonderful post, Neil. So apt for a first time sober New Year's Eve!!! Thank you!!!

Lou,FMF,Cindi. Brigid, Neil and of,course eveyone to come. Happy New Year!

Janet

Comment

A new year to all of us. Thank you Neil for being such a positive example. My evening is a little more tense, but sitting home and being good for a change.

Comment

Hey Neil...who need rockets and fireworks when you have blackeye peas and beans around!:H

Thanks for being so open and sharing your life with us!

:h Nancy
                            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
                            X