Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 5

Life is good in Absville eh?

The sun shines, the birds sing, the butterflies flit (ok you can smack me now) and best of all the grass is greener on THIS side for once!

Happy day 5 and big ol' slaps on all backs for persevering! Congrats!

Hope you all had a great 4th, and/or a good Tuesday! CV I just have to quote you from yesterday... "I'll save the celebration for a real occasion, like the return of naturally controlled normal behavior..." :lol i don't know why it's so funny to me, just the delivery I guess. I just can't not crack up every time I read it. And it's so true! Anyway, I hope you didn't run into too much traffic on your way home, & if you did, it wasn't me I swear!

Pansy, I hope you fed your cat & avoided being his/her lunch! I organized my closet today, and got rid of some clothes too, no stirrup pants though. Anyway, it's a good feeling to de-junk the closet isn't it? I fully believe in uncluttering across the board.

I was thinking today about how exhausting it is to clear out the closet. Making a decision about each and every piece and noticing where my mind went, well it was all over the place! Body issues, money issues, style issues, and the inevitable - if only I had an occasion to wear it - lifestyle issues. I was drooping by the end of it all. Maybe it's just me, but hmmm, I don't think so.

Anyway, once I made the decision to get rid of something, there was no second thought or regret about it. I loved seeing the "out" pile get higher; making room for new clothes that I'll actually wear. So I was thinking - what's the fear behind throwing stuff out? Could it be the usual... loss? Not wanting to let things go, thinking I'll somehow regret it later. I grew up poor so I have a tight hold on my things sometimes. But I realize that clutter is more harmful to me than taking the risk of losing something. Besides, I only have so much closet space! Gotta keep it movin'!

So my segue is.... and thank you for your patience ladies & gentlemen... :lol ...
    We're cleaning out our bodies, minds and spirits when we get the bottle out of our lives. We make room for physical health, new life-affirming thoughts, and lighter more buoyant spirits. In short: growth. Like Matt said yesterday "Freedom to put this sh*t behind us and live in a brand new beautiful world of our own design" pretty much sums it up!

We're under construction now, so it might look a little messy, but one day soon this new life will begin to take shape, and the crap that we used to put into our bodies is a small thing to lose considering the benefits. So lets keep on getting rid of the junk in our lives to make room for the good stuff, whatever that means to you.

Good work everyone!
    Hope you all have a lovely day in Absville!

Deirdre

The cyclone ends. The sun returns; the lofty coconut trees lift up their plumes again; man does likewise. The great anguish is over; joy has returned; the sea smiles like a child. (Paul Gauguin)

Day 5

Ahah! It is a ploy!!
    I know that I really, really, really need to clean out my wardrobe, pantry, saucepan cupboard and I have been finding every excuse under the sun not to do it.
    Now Diedre has made me feel guilty, so I'm going to have to do it this week end.
    A big clean out is the symbolisation that I need right now. New start and a clean cupboard (no more skeletons in there for me).

Day 24 abs for me.
    Think I should start exercising more, am starting to be feeling twitchy in the arvo's, perhaps more good energy?

Comment

Day 5

Good Morning All,

Clearing out the old seems to have been the the theme for yesterday. I hauled five huge bags from my basement. However, I stopped short of throwing out anything that had do with camping! I just couldnt't bring myself to part with anything that had to do with my favorite past time!

There is a great book that I have. It is entitiled "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. According to Karen, a cluttered basement symbolizes issues from the past not dealt with, often very weighty issues. Well, my back is hurting this morning from all that "weight" I hauled out of the basement so there must be some truth to it. :lol

At any rate, it is a very interesting book. She speaks about clutter in the attic, junk drawers, your kitchen, under your bed...pretty much anywhere you can imagine, including your mind! I highly recommend the book!

Have a GREAT day all!

Donna

Comment

Day 5

Hi all:

Day 2 for me (started late), and so far so good. Because I tried abs last month, I kind of know what to expect ? but then again, it's usually the unexpected that throws me. (I have a feeling that really makes no sense at all.)

I'm thinking of augmenting the self-hypnosis with a visit to a certified hypnotherapist. Anyone ever tried this?

Cheers to all who've done 5 days and best wishes for the month.

Andrew

Comment

Day 5

Hi
          I used to have a lot of pride in the way i kept my home, but that pride flew out the window when the bottle came through the door.The other day we had our half yearly collect service.I nearly filled the street with stuff i didn't even know i still had.I must be a bit slow because untill now i didn't realize that i wasn't just clearing the house i was clearing myself.An here was i thinking ,i just had all this excess energy to burn off.
          This has been very enlightening. wow.
          lluf

Comment

Day 5

Good Morning, Absville! (and anyone looking in!)

Wow, Deirdre! You just reminded me of how truly wonderful it is to de-clutter my apartment BUT I had not transferred this concept to what we are all trying to do here....yes, yes, yes! We ARE cleaning out our minds and bodies and getting rid of all the junk we've held onto litererally and figuratively...not only the alcohol itself, but all the low self-esteem, the guilt, the shame, the dirty little secrets we have been harboring in our hearts and minds....

Donna, thanks for the book rec, I used to be "into" feng shui before drinking became more important than anything else--I had forgotten about that too...wonder why we so carelessly throw away all the good stuff in our lives and hold onto the sh*t.....:rolleyes

GS, I have to start working more exercise into my program--I a GREAT excuse for not walking today though...it's a total thunderstorm out there! Of course, I COULD get out the various exercise machines I've got gathering dust and serving as places to pile clothes on! :rolleyes

Congrats on 2 days, Andrew!

Hey Iluf--yep, LOTS to think about here today! Good to see y'all for another great day in Absville--
            :P
            susan

Comment

Day 5

Deidre, I loved the art quotes site. I was tempted to paste one into this e-mail but didn't want to steal your sources. I look forward to starting the day with your quotes.

Sounds like cleaning out was certainly a theme yesterday. I have been going through old photo albums, scanning and organizing pictures and putting the originals in photo boxes. Once completed I want to make digital albums for family at Christmas. Sure wish I had labeled pictures at the time, it would make this so much easier. As I look at the photos I can see where drinking became a problem, my weight went up and I disappeared from so many family shots. Time to return.

Comment

Day 5

Morning all! Day 17/5...am actually in an office today but everyone else on my team is out, so that's fine for me!

Dierdre, glad to make you laugh! I know what you mean about the closets. I really have to do that because I have piles here in my little apartment and boxes at my old bf's house in NC. When I left Louisiana and downgraded from a 5 bd to a one bd apt, SOOOOO much had to go. Fortunately, he found a larger place in NC so I'm letting him use most of the furniture and I'll get around to going through those clothes. What a flashback that will be!! Of course, I'm putting it off until I can actually fit in some of the clothes that are 10 years old...lol...see, there's my inspiration...I keep imagining every 10 days taking off a year of the damage and me getting younger....do you think it will work? Who had that magic mirror yesterday or the day before?

Congrats to everyone on the days in absville, regardless of when you started. Pretty darn kewl!

BTW, Andrew, I have done a couple of sessions with a hypnotherapist, but I didn't focus on just the drinking...I let her talk and we worked on underlying issues because in some ways, many times, I feel that the drinking is a symptom of something deeper, whether it is an emotional hurt or THIQ activity...I just wanted to address some of the "stuffed drawers" in my mind and emotions room that I had closed up and locked for way too long and thought leaving them locked would keep them away, but they just kept piling up on top of other drawers that I kept filling, so I just kept getting fuzzy because I didn't want to sit down and look at them and clean them out! Anyway, she did do some interesting exercises while in hypnosis, like asking me to imagine my first most traumatic experience and then talking about ego therapy, where we each have up to 7 different "egos" that develop early on with particular roles and apparently, I have one that stopped maturing at some age and would kick into high gear to get attention...hence some of my more "adventurous" episodes, which I have never really shared because they were really adventures...years later though, the same types of adventures became more dangerous, hence the "controlled normal behavior", Dierdre:lol Oh the stories I could tell...hehe...Those silly drawers and cabinets are full! Anyway, rambling too much here and must be on to work...Happy absville all!! Check in later.

Comment

Day 5

Hi guys,
                  Yes, life is great in absville. Today is 29 days for me but its been exactly 4 weeks. I havent gone this long since I was preggers. My youngest turns 13 this weekend. Wow. So thankful for this MWO and you all.
                  I need to clean the closet but I'll wait till my body gets done doin whatever its doin. HA (for now) Love your segue tho about cleanin out our minds, bodies and spirits when we do abs. I feel it workin already. Kinda just of a automatic thing. And then if ya work on it a bit....whew......benefits--ola--ville.
                  Way fun place to go. We can get the plane to land there if ya want to. (actually....who's drivin? Is that you Deirdre?) I bet you know where it is. Let us know when were stopin tho cuz Pansy and I wanna bring our cats. At least one. Anyway.....I love the body, mind and spirit nuturing. Lets do more!!!!
                  Under construction feels good. :h

Gonnastop good job on 24! Love it huh?

Donna Bet you hardly even think about drinkin anymore. : )

Andrew good for keepin on tryin...so...keep on tryin. : )

lluf, same with me on the houscleaning. So far I dont feel to guilty about my slack off tho. Hard to work through the 3 teenagers and their friends. I decided the house didnt need to be perfect and it was part of my messed up thinkin about the whole June Cleaver syndrome. Sometimes I throw a piece of paper on the floor just to see if I can. If I am successful then I know I have kicked out June for good.

Susan I use my exersise equipment for clothes too! Great invention!!!

CV, interesting onthe hypnosis. It would be cool if we could all explore any and all avenues that could heal "our stuff" that caused us to abuse alcohol in the first place. To bad it isnt all FREE. : Well on with the day for me. Hope its nice for you all and everyone who hasnt posted yet too! gabby

Comment

Day 5

Okay Gabby, just for you (and anyone else that likes free!) I believe RJ has a link to this in the research site as well.

Here's a very interesting site with a free guide to help with healing emotions... www.emofree.com
                    It is easy to learn, you can do it yourself..

Their quote is: Emotional Freedom Techniques
                    Where emotional relief brings physical health
                    Self help method often works where nothing else will
                    No Drugs Involved ~ High Success Rate

For the free get started kit use this link:

www.emofree.com/downloadeftmanual.asp

Comment

Day 5

'Morning y'all stainers in Absville,

Congrats to you Day 5ers out there in puter land! Day 29 out of 30 here.

Did we all make it thru the holiday? Is everyone present and accounted for?

ROLL CALL please... ???
                      Deirdre... check
                      Gonnastop... check
                      Donna... check
                      Painter... check
                      lluf... check
                      Susan... check
                      Kriss, CV, Gabby... check check check

Ok... looks like we have a few MIAs. Maybe they're all cleaning out closets?

So funny ya started that topic Deirdre... We're having a yard sale weekend after this! GMTA... Time to get rid of all sorts of junk.

CV? If I broke down and had... let's say 1/2 an apple pie and 2 Dr. Peppers yesterday... YIKES... How long will it take to... uhmm... "detox"???

HAPPY NOT HUNGOVER BUT A LIL CHUNKIER WEDNESDAY Y'ALL

Comment

Day 5

Mornin all,

This first week of July is flying on by, isn't it! Found a good quote somewhere so thought I'd share:

"WE ARE , EACH OF US, ANGELS WITH ONLY ONE WING, AND WE CAN ONLY FLY EMBRACING EACH OTHER".

Hope I didn't steal that one from anyone here...just can't remember where I read it!:rolleyes Not even on topa-dopa!:b

The funny farm is all quiet again. The fun crowds have all gone back to the big cities. It's good to have some down time and visit here and get some reading done and also just "be still"... The" be still and know" part I had to learn while son was in Iraq.. There was not one thing I could do to "fix" it for him or us and coming to terms with that took some "growing" for me. The hard times are when we grow the most , it seems ,and the growings pains are real. Personally I grow from the ground up while on my knees.:h Thick headed I think!!:happy

Gotta run for now.. Have a good day in Absville!

Much:h
                        Nancy

Comment

Day 5

Happ day 5!

Matt here checking in for roll call and feeling great!

Wow! I cleaned huge piles of junk and old paperwork off of my desk yesterday. Sounds like many of us are on an identical wavelength. That's pretty cool and makes me feel very connected to all of you friends out there.

Had a wonderful 4th celebration with dinner and fireworks with inlaws. My first social event since freedom started 15 days ago. Dinner was wonderful and the drinking water was perfect. The simple joys of a dinner with family and sipping spring water made me feel almost zen-like in my happy calmness. Does that make sense?

I feel stronger, calmer and my journey gets easier with each new day.

MATT

Comment

Day 5

Re: Day 5 - Jane's detox rate

Okay Jane, this is a list from www.coolnurse.com but you can figure that you consumed 1584 calories that you want to detox, 3500 calories = 1 pound. I'll let you decide the activity/activities that you want to use to get rid of them but the actual sugar issues should have already resolved by tonight...:happy

Estimated calories burned are based on one and a half hours of each activity at a body weight of 150 pounds. Actual calories burned vary with your individual body weight, the more you weigh, the more you burn. Yes, you can burn calories while shopping! Probably more when trying on lots of clothes too.

Housecleaning 864 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Shopping 325 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Bowling 415 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Yard Work 555 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Laundry 150 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Mowing Lawn 325 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Driving Car 125 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Food Shopping w/Cart 150 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Kissing 150 - calories per one and one half hour
                            Sitting at Rest 1.6 - calories per hour

Recent studies showed that gardening also burned a lot of calories.

Comment

Day 5

Re: Day 5 - Jane's detox rate

Thanks CV
                              One question tho....are you a computer? gabby

Comment

Working...
                              X