Magnesium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium

I've read that magnesium is a relaxing supplement and it is good to take at bedtime. I woke up early this a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep so I tried taking some sublingual magnesium (homeopathic), and found myself relaxing almost immediately. Anyone else have this experience?

My question is, how much magnesium can one take? Is it dangerous to take too much? If so, how much is too much?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Magnesium

Your body will let you know

Hi ya beattle, magnesium is good for the nerves and exceptionally good for those of us with a long history of drinking, the alcohol leeches this and other nutrients from the body. If you take too much the result is usually diarrhoea.

Comment

Magnesium

Beatle,

Magnesium

This is a great write up on Magnesium. Mentions alcoholism and tolerable upper limit intake. (Long, though.)

Hope this helps!!

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Magnesium

magnesium is also good for PMS. My doctor suggested it as well as calcium to me a few years ago when I was almost losing my mind for a week every month.
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Magnesium

Beatle, Somewhere on the "The way up from down" site I read, I think, that one should not exceed 1000 mg a day magnesium. I keep mine to 750 mg just to be sure I am not getting too much. The only problem is I can't find exactly where I read that now on the site.

Comment

Magnesium

yep!
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Magnesium

Det,

Thanks for that enlightening post!! :H

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Magnesium

Excuse me while I wipe the tears from my eyes over Det's beautiful post. Such meaning behind one simple word.
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Magnesium

hahahahahahahaha
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Magnesium

Thanks all. I read that Cindi, but I think the upper limits are for "normal" people. I think I read that alcoholics absorb as little as 20% of the magnesium they take in.

Determinator, you have especially helped me to understand this complicated issue. May I quote you in future?
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Magnesium

oh my...still laughing...ok.

Beattle by all means that pearl of wisdom is all yours.

well lets see if I can extrapolate a bit:

Magnesium is scientifically proven to be the most important mineral for heart health and amazingly 80% of Americans are deficient in it.
                      in a nutshell mag has the following key benefits:
                      eases irregular heart rythms
                      improved high blood pressure
                      helps the body balance potassium levels
                      angina chest pains are reduced
                      reduces arterial blockage by disallowing platelets to clump together

and here's a biggie: blood sugar stabilization. people with type II diabetes can in some cases get of insulin all together after using mag supplements!
                      eating sugar depletes mag in the body so it's a nasty cycle. Stop eating sugar and start taking mag!

mag also is super for hypertention/high blood pressure and works like a calcium channel blocker without the side effects. i could go on but here's a few more:

Mitral valve prolapse. magnesium corrects this weakening of the heart valve which is associated with fatigue.

Asthma. magnesum giving intraveniously stops an asthma attack in it's tracks. supplements diminish wheezing. I would take it for just this as I have asthma.

migranes

Fibromyalgia (reduces pain)

general brain function. almost every brain disorder patient is found to be critically low in mag. hmmmmmm. parkensens, alzheimers, schizophrenia, premature aging etc.

osteoperosis. may be more important than calcium since mag keeps the calcium from being excreted and helps it to go to work in our bones.

muscles. olympic wight trainers take mag supps....need I say more?

PMS. yes...relief!

warning: if you have kidney disease don't take mag until you've done more research and seen your doc.

the only way to know for sure how much you need is to get a blood test but on average we need from 400 to 1,000 mg per day.

so what kind?
                      magnesium oxide is the most common but doesn't get the mag to cell tissue the best.
                      instead look for mag orotate.

you can also just soak your feet in epsom salts. you body will absorb only as much mag as it needs and it's also very relaxing

there will be a test later. class dismissed.

take your magnesium!!!
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Magnesium

Det,

You should have stuck with the "Yep" :H

Oh, just joking, thanks for the info !! Looks like I'm doing the right thing. I have magnesium in my liquid calcium that I take daily. Thanks again.
                        Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Magnesium

my pleasure. Magnesium citrate is also good
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Magnesium

often times multi vitamins will have magnesium...but only a pathetic amount so we must read the fine print...the journey for truth continues....
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Magnesium

know thyself, Determinator.

Comment

Working...
                              X