X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 3

Day 3 and going strong!
    I'm so happy you're all here!

Thinking about all of you as I go about my day. When I have invitations to socialize with people I think, nah, I'd rather spend my free time on the boards where the convo is relevant to me. It's kind of boring to go out with people who I can't share my journey with, or I should say don't want to share with for one reason or another. That coupled with the very catch 22 fact that I'm not going to drink to make it more interesting, leaves me feeling like, What's the point? I'd rather be doing something productive, or relaxing with people who I really CAN relax with, meaning I can say what's on my mind, especially when it's something as big as changing your life! Plus, I don't get to be here nearly as much as I'd like, just reading and catching up. This is the party I want to be at! Everyone else will just have to take a number :lol !

So I fully believe in being completely selfish and taking the time you need to get used to the world without alcohol. It's not going anywhere that I know of, and you'll still be here - only a better version of you. Do what you have to do to get well, that's the important thing right now. If you make that priority #1 you will be doing yourself a huge favor. It may seem unnatural and weird, b/c some of us are so used to neglecting ourselves (esp you caretakers out there), but you can & will get used to it. Just like any habit, it will take hold and before you know it it'll feel right. And eventually the balance in your social life will return (right?) :lol

Hope you folks have a lovely, turbulence-free day!
    :h
    Deirdre

I steer my bark with hope in the head, leaving fear astern. My hopes indeed sometimes fail, but not oftener than the forebodings of the gloomy.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Day 3

Hey all

This place has such a definite buzz to it and it has nothing to do with the taking off for yet another amazing month of abs.

Thanks for donning the squadron leaders wings Deidre. I'll keep dropping in to say hi. My wings are getting steadier at day 49 but I'm by no means comfortable around an uncorked bottle and a stemmed glass yet...

Alison

Comment

Day 3

Great post Dierdre! Thanks. Day 3/15 here! WooHoo...took off my mad scientist gear for a bit...lol. Actually, your post reminded me of a question that a hypnotherapist asked me during a session when I said I felt like I wanted to drink when I was around people socially and she just asked me "do you think people won't like you if you don't drink"? To which, of course, I had to answer no because I don't drink at work and people there seem to like me fine...so, I couldn't use that anymore.

About not sharing the journey, yes, you are correct, hence the total abstinence from sugar because people are more accepting of that when it's for a "diet" then for "health", meaning sobriety. But here's a tidbit of gossip I heard. Donald Trump's brother was an alcoholic and I understand that he won't even speak to any one if they even have a hint of alcohol on their breath....talk about judgemental. Well, that's my gossip for today and I'm still chillin' on the water in NC. Tomorrow will be my long drive back to civilization and I'm hoping most folks stay OFF of the roads so the 4 hour drive stays 4 hours...lol. Will really need the GABA for that!

Take care all!

Comment

Day 3

Hey all,

I am here and on Day 3 of abs, just wasn't posting before. The job I expected to get fell through, so I have been totally in the abyss of unstructured time - bad place for me. How the hell did it take me two weeks to finish one damned chore? (and still not REALLY done) I do better when I have a million things to do, not just one ....

So, I knew that I would have problem and started on my stash of topa, which precipated a self-indulgent two or three day slide (DUH, can't remember). However, I am back and have been trying really hard to reclaim those good feelings I had before - spending lots of time on board (busy mind), lots of time on chat (busy fingers), and after done posting today, lots of time walking (busy feet) :rollin

I hope that everyone has started out July well. My goals for this month are to kick the exercise into gear with walking and to be much better with the supplements. My topa dose is at 125 mg and I think it is having some effect. Unless the cravings get really bad, I will stay at this dose.

Wishing everyone a good fourth!
        Pansy

Comment

Day 3

Hi all:

I'm a little late joining, but I'm going to try for abs again if you'll have me. A number of big stresses have passed now, and I think I'll have a better chance of actually doing it. Best of luck to all, and thanks to Dierdre for taking the lead again!

Andrew

Comment

Day 3

Hi Andrew,

Never too late to join in - I just joined in today too. Hope everything went well at your showing - I know it must have gone it well! I am glad that stress has passed for you!

Enjoy your holiday,
            Pansy

Comment

Day 3

Hey Pansy, Andrew, welcome. Pansy, sorry about the job..I hate loose time...I'm so used to staying busy constantly so I have to make up things to do or I can get in real trouble myself...:lol I'm not sure what your interests are, but I like to search the net for little freebie tutorial courses on things. Sometimes they are software trials that I can download and play with, sometimes they are managerial courses like six sigma or something like that. Right now, I'm in the second of session of a paralegal course so it's keeping me busy while my day job is in kind of a lull right now...welcome to absville! It's very pleasant here.

Comment

Day 3

Welcome new folks, it sounds like this group is growing fast, which is great.

You are all so right about unstructured time. I retired early from a very stressful job thinking that would help me get my life in order. Basically it just left me more time to drink and I am certainly less productive. I find that when I am not drinking I certainly have more time to fill, and less excuses for just sitting around. On line courses are a great idea!

Comment

Day 3

Hey Folks-
                  Just quickly popping in...I'm already late because I slept in...this fatigue aspect of abs is a bit disturbing...I've started the DHEA (25mg/day), so I hope that helps a bit (thanks, CV--I noticed you mentioned that 50mg/day was useful, so I'll go up on it....)--my adrenals must be thoroughly worn out!

Otherwise, though, I feel really good--I agree with Deirdre that we have to be selfish about who we spend time with--especially now....and it really is BORING to be around people who are overdoing the alcohol! And I also thought that I wouldn't be "fun" as a abs person--WRONG! Seem to be having a better time than ever--with the people I CHOOSE to spend time with!

Okay, I'm really late now--I'll be back later....

Have a great day, everyone--keep up the good work and check in often!
                  :h
                  best, susan

Comment

Day 3

Hey hey - hi everyone, and especially the newbies/returnies!

Had a tough go around 5 pm last night...dh told me to walk the dog, so I did and tried some sit-ups - :rolleyes ouch!

The morning is always good, and is getting better each day. didn't know to expect fatigue during abs - thanks for that and the DHEA rec.

What is all of this talk about bi-polar? I often feel that way...are we 'prone' to it?

Busy day here, working on 4H with kids (read nagging), and making some strawberry jam, being picked as we speak by dh and littlest daughter.

I'm also crossstitching to keep busy...hard to count and stitch when drinking!:lol

take care - so looking fwd to getting day 4 under my belt! one day at a time...

PR

Comment

Day 3

Re day 3

I would also like to join the July abs if you will have me. Last drank on Friday (bad experience). Looking forward to embarking on this journey with all of you!
                      Hugs
                      Jen:d

Comment

Day 3

Well, I guess I'll try for day 1 AGAIN!! Never made it yesterday as planned, wasn't even a craving, more like a habit!! Gotta smash that habit though, even though instead of 12 beers I only had 6!: I am going for non today (even though we are going out to eat w/ my father in law (who drinks like a fish!) It is difficult, but will load up on supps and take my topa........will be "armed", that is my plan.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!! So, see, you two are not alone (or 3)....we all aren't perfect, that is for sure here at least!!:happy :P

Mary Anne

Comment

Day 3

DHEA

hey - I was just google-ing this and I'd be careful about using it...it's a steroid hormone, chemical cousin to testoterone and estrogen...but you can decide for yourself...I don't like fooling around with that stuff, myself

hth
                          PR

Comment

Day 3

'Morning y'all,

Day 27 out of 28 days here and still in my jamies...

Sooo exciting to see all the newbies. Hey? If they're "newbies"... Does that make the rest of us "old bees"?

Speaking of old... The DHEA thing... I looked at it. Seems like the pros are saying to have your hormone levels checked BEFORE starting it to avoid some sort of extra testosterone thingie. I also asked another "mad scientist" whom I trust with my life... Uhmm.. That'd be my own dear mom! And she said that when she tried it, she grew WHISKARS!!! LOL ... Took a full year for them to go away... lol... Think I'll pass on DHEA for now... I dunno, something about developing a deep voice and hairy chest just doesn't ring my bell ...

Pansy, my chatty chat bud... Great job on making it to day 3! I KNEW ya had it in ya, girl!!! You sound good. I take it the postman cometh?

Good to see ya again Painter. And look. There's Fellover and CV. And Kriss, Deirdre... Susan too... Laughing... I feel like that lady from the kiddie show waaaaay back when. Do you remember the lady with the "majic mirror", who would say hello to all the special boys and girls out there watching in TV land? Oh shoot! What was her name???

Anyway... Today goals:
                            Get OUT of these jamies!
                            Walk 20 minutes
                            Get my malfunctioning self to the grocery store before the underlings mastermind a coo to topple my self proclaimed dictatorship of nutritious meal plans, thus producing miriads of junk food staples in my absence.

HAPPY NOT HUNGOVER MONDAY Y'ALL!

Comment

Day 3

PR? Jen? Mary Anne? I see you "special" children in my mirror too...

Geeeeeeees... I REALLY gotta get out more...

Comment

Working...
                              X