Mon. - Jan. 14 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone: We're snowed in today (again), & I pause to remember the many times I drank my way through a snow day...even running the snowblower under the influence.

I'm beginning my second 100 days today & feel really good about it. I can understand the rationale behind doing an AF stretch before making any decisions about what to do about drinking (mod/abs). It took me this long to realize that (for me) AF is the only option.

I hope you all review your goal & work toward it. That's what I'll be doing today.

Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mary, thanks for the reminder. I envy both your snow and your 101 days! I'll get to the latter before we get any of the former down here, though! There are so many wonderful things about the sober life. I calculated how much money I've saved in my 13 days AF---at around $15 per big bottle (per day, alas,) I have $195 more in my checking account!
    Jane Jane

Comment

Good morning Mary, Jane and all to come.

Mary, you do continue to be an inspiration. JaneJane, congrats on your savings! Are you going to save for something special?

I just wanted to shout out that on the 12th, I reached my 7-month anniversary for sobriety (214 days). Before you all and the MWO program, I couldn't even put in one AF day. So thank you, everyone. :heart: I do feel like I have a new lease on life these days, and it is great. Now I have to start working on my other bad habits like procrastination....

On a sad note, however, I learned yesterday that my BIL totalled his car around 4 am Sunday morning in a single car accident, and yes, he was drinking. Very likely had a BAC close to .2 or even more. He lost control of his truck and flipped over an embankment. The cab roof and windshield were all crushed. He got out and called my sister to come get him. Although he was in severe pain, he didn't want to go to the hospital, for obvious reasons. He got the truck back yesterday with his brother's help. Other than going to get him, my sister has stayed out of it. She and I are both praying that this event might help pull him out of his denial about drinking. We'll see. I'm grateful that he is not more physically screwed up than he is.

Stuff like this really reinforces my desire to stay sober. There but for the grace of God go I....

Be well, all.

Lots of love,:heart:

Kathy
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Y@Heart, prayers here for that brother-in-law of yours. I hope he'll take it as a warning, and if he can't manage to stay sober quite yet, at least remember not to drive when plastered!

As for what I'm saving for: to make a bigger donation at year's end to the local Animal Rescue League. We always give generously, but not spending money on wine will enable me to double our giving! Hard to explain, but having a tangible financial goal that benefits others makes me feel "responsible" for staying committed...were I ever to put down $15 for a big chilled bottle, that's one less 50-pound bag of puppy chow the shelter can afford! (Can you tell I'm Catholic? GUILT is my middle name!
        Jane Jane

Comment

Happy hangover-free Monday ABsters!
          congrads to you Kathy on the AF accomplishment! hope BIL is ok.
          woke up very sleepy today...feel like i could have slept for a year. at least i'm not falling down on my vitamin/supp regiment.
          Mary you continue to be a great inspiration...thank you,
          be well everyone!
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi everyone

Mary and Kathy, it people like you two who inspire me to keep coming to this site and keep striving to be AF. Keep up the good work.

Rustop

Comment

Kathy: 7 months...what a great accomplishment. I hope sometime when you have the time, you'll kind of list the changes you've gone through in the last 7 months. I know it would be a list that would inspire, encourage, & one that I could identify with. Again, 7 months is awesome.

My brother-in-law drank after nearly 2 years sober. He too has driven under the influence, but thankfully hasn't crashed. The last time I saw him, he wasn't drinking. It's hard to see someone relapse after so long.

Take care of your mod/abs everyone. For me, it's the most important thing in my life. Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Ladies - congrats on your amazing achievements. You both are an inspiration to us all. I can only hope to someday reach those same af days. (so far 19...and counting).

Thanks to everyone at MWO. I thank God each night for leading me to this sight.

Love, Me
                :h
                Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Thanks for your prayers for my BIL, everyone. I am thankful he is in one piece, at least. I, too, hope he learns not to drive under the influence anymore (or at least not tanked).

For those of you getting started, the longest I ever went before this was 3 weeks. Two days, ten days, and 19 days is just as important as 7 months.

Here are a few of the changes that I've gone through, Mary:

It took some time, but I am definitely much less depressed than I was before I stopped drinking. I still get down sometimes, but it is more like a passing mood.

I feel good about myself. I don't feel guilt and shame very much these days, and when I do, it is much easier to rectify.

I am much more motivated to tackle things that I have put off, literally, for years!

I have more faith in my ability to learn and do new things.

I have lost weight.

One thing that hasn't happened for me is that I haven't had lots of brilliant insights about my past and why I drank, etc., etc.. I have had quite a bit of therapy and knew those things already. I just had to take the leap and put those insights into action. I'm more shy than I thought I was, though.

JaneJane, your goal is a terrific goal. I applaud you for your generosity of spirit.

rustop and Thankful, I am sure that you have what it takes to make it.

Deter, I hope you get some good rest. I know the feeling of just wanting to turn over and go back to sleep very well...wouldn't it be nice?

Anyway, good night all,

Hugs,:l

Kathy
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                  X