To drug or not to drug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To drug or not to drug?

So this is my first post. I've read most of the book. Have just ordered the CDs. Am drinking wine as I type this. I'd prefer to moderate my drinking. I rarely have hangovers. But I haven't been able to stop drinking for more than 7 days at a time on my own. And that was only once in the past 2 years. Now granted, I have been going through the process of a divorce, so maybe that's been my excuse. But I've had lots of excuses for at least 20 years. I'm pretty into exercise and fairly good at healthy eating and some supplements. So I'm thinking of first just increasing the supplements and doing the hypnotherapy in addition to my food and exercise regime. FYI - I typically drink at least a bottle of white wine each night....sometimes increasing to 1.5 bottles. i have no clue how that compares or if it matters. I'm a 50 year old female, 175 lbs. and 5'11". When I first started reading the book, I assumed I'd do all the "steps", but am a little freaked out with what the book says about the side effects of the drugs. I am totally into getting as much help as I can get....my therapist is definitely encouraging me to check out the option of the drugs....and I'll share with him what I've learned about from this website....but I tend to take baby steps and see what works vs. jumping head first. So, please help! I've read quite a bit on hear in the past few nights, but not sure what I should do about finding a physician.....and doing the drugs. BTW - if anyone recommends a good doc in the SF Bay Area, please recommend. Thanks! mahmna:thanks:

To drug or not to drug?

:welcome: Welcome Mahnma! you have found a good place. I am also a wine drinker (well, wine guzzler, OK!). A lot of people here don't do the drugs, Topa etc., and I haven't tried them ... Many don't follow all aspects of the program. For me, the online support is the lifeline. but you will get some responses from other and get more feedback . don't think many are online right now, many members are in britain and australia and it's getting late on the East Coast. But stick around .. there is so much wisdom here.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

Thanks Dexterhead!

I think my biggest concern with the drugs is not knowing if I'd have to do them for the rest of my life in order to moderate my drinking....or could it be for only a few months to change my behaviors/patterns? Anyone's thoughts are very welcome!:new:

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

Welcome, mahmna!

I like your approach, add a bit at a time so you know what is working. I feel like if you add everything at once and it isn't working, you don't know what to adjust. It does take a bit of tweeking in the begining.. I have been here since last March. I got the books, Supps, CD's, etc., and was not able to stay sober, I believe just wasn't quite ready. I came back in July started Topamax, but I followed the recommended dosages, was sucessful, but felt toxic.. stopped everything and decided to try and moderate. That didn't work either. So, after a lot of trial and error, I am on a few of the supplements, only 50mgs of topamax, taken all in the evenings (so no side effects), which completely curbs my cravings, and have decided to completely abstain. Long story short, it does take some experimenting. Please ask a lot of questions of us. We have all been where you are and can help ton. Good luck, and please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any additional questions.

Namaste,

MM
        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

If you want to Moderate with Topa or any of the other drugs you may want to hop on the Monthy Moderation Thread and ask some of those girls... They maybe able to help you..

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

Hi Mahmna

I didn't do any drugs either - so it is not compulsory!:H

The support here was what made the difference for me too!

Good Luck

Love

Satori

(181 days into my new Alcohol Free (AF) life)

xxx
            "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

Welcome! I love wine too---just haven't had any for 2 weeks. As for drugs, I chose not to go that route, and agree with Med Mama that your approach makes good sense---one weapon at a time instead of the whole arsenal. The drugs seem to have helped some folks, though. If there's a group motto here, it's "Whatever Works!"
              Jane Jane

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

Hi Mah,

A big warm welcome to you! I am so glad you have already read the book, I still read excerps on a regular basis! I chose to use the Kudzu and L-glutamine as well as other supps. Also spending a lot of time reading upbuilding books and posting and chatting here. I am now a non-drinker, since Dec. 22 and I feel great!

My only suggestion is that if you decide on the drugs, please see a doctor for dosing and monitoring. Most here that take the drugs seem to have only minor side effects, but I believe in doing Rx's only under an MD's suppervision.

What ever your decision, I hope you stick around here and get to know us!!

Best Wishes!
                KateH
                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

To drug or not to drug?

Satori, congrats on 181 days AF - WOW, great job!

I was drinking a bottle of wine a day like you Mah. For me, moderation didn't work - I simply could not stop after a couple (but I think each person is different and moderation can work for some).

As for meds, I am on Campral and it has done wonders for me. Side effect for me is upset tummy, but I deal with it. Today is day 60 AF. It was SO hard to talk to my doctor about my drinking - I came prepared with info about the meds and asked for a physical. I was 100% honest about how much I drank - and I took my husband with me so I didn't chicken out and withhold anything. I was lucky that I have not done any damage to my health.

Best wishes for moderation or AF, whichever you end up doing. Keep coming to the site whether you are drinking or not - the more aware I am of the issue, the more motivated I get to stay AF.
                  :award:

None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

Comment

Working...
                  X