Wed. - Jan. 16 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi 30 dayers: I'm hanging in w/my AF lifestyle. Last night, our neighbors asked us over for an impromptu dinner. They are food & wine afficianadoes, & I must say it wasn't entirely easy to say "no" all evening. However, that's what I did, & the evening was fine. Most of the time the "no drinking" lifestyle isn't too difficult anymore, but now & then the desire to drink rears its ugly head.

Take care everyone. Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Mary and all to come

Yes, it seems that's Al's ugly head is always around. Well done on ignoring him. It's not easy but the more AF time I get the easier I find it. I was saying on another thread that in the beginning I found it nearly impossible to get a few AF days under my belt but now I am stringing 30 at a time together. The important thing is to stick at it, Al won the battle for too long.

Rustop

Comment

Rusty: You're absolutely right. Being sober & non-hungover is feeling normal now. Since I'm the type of person who has a sip & wants more, more, more, AF is the only way for me. I know that sounds very pessimistic to some folks, but to me, it sounds fine. This same couple whose home we went to last night was talking about their up-coming wedding (during the summer), & the different types of wines & liquors they would be having. I couldn't help feeling a pang, because I know I'll have to be AF at it. Hopefully, by then, I won't even want it. Anyhow, I'm in the beginning stages of sobriety. It feels very good the vast majority of the time. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

good morning you two!
        we've invited a couple to a gourmet AF dinner at our house on Thursday night (tomorrow). sure is nice to have some friends that appreciate the truly good things in life.

be well
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi Reteacher

I was being curious and havent been on here for ages. How fantastic that you are doing so well.I remember how hard it was for you to get going and you sound happier..an inpiration.

I,ve been moderating and at present there is always room for improvement. pleased to say only had one night over Xmas when I drank a full bottle of wine when out for a meal. good job i was eating as i didnt "lose the plot" and behaved.

Family stayed for a few weeks over Xmas and yes i had a few wines but didnt go for the full bottle!!

I am going to church 2 or 3 evenings a week and despite being a committed catholic engaged on an Alpha course which re charged my spiritual batteries.

i,m still happy to be moderating and of course this takes an examination of conscience and true honesty for me daily.i know longer beat myself up about drinking and try a live a more balanced life .Eating healthier over the last year(only cos hubby prepares my fruitsalad and yoghurt ama nd send me of with a deklicious salad box, fruit and water and yes i come home to dinner prepared by him too..A house husband is a wonderful gift.

I must pop on here from time to time to keep me motivated with the mods and great to see old names..Betty boop, popeye, etc.

Happy New Year To you all.
          regardless of whether your goal is to moderate or abstain i wish you all well .
          Im sure the power of prayer as helped me as i cant rely on willpower.

Regards and Best wishes.

Cassy

Comment

wow....i actually had to look at the calendar...didn't realize it waas 16 days AF..

past the half way mark.....

starting to get good at noticing the triggers that effect me....never actually realized these before....duhh

still have that damn 4-7 pm stretch of anxiety....hardest part of the day..

late...
            -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

Treeman, I think that 4-7pm stretch may continue to be hard. Can you find something else to do instead for at least part of that time? I used to love Saturday nights when my daughter was in high school, because she would usually have a color guard or band competition, and it was the one night a week where I wouldn't have a drink and didn't much miss it either.

I still miss those days, even though I no longer drink.:upset:

I hope you find some good things to fill your time, and great on your 16 days!

Mary, you did well last night! :goodjob:

Deter, I'd love to come to your dinner party! I bet I'd gain 5 lbs., at least....

Rustop, I love your saying, "Al won the battle for too long." That's a clever way of putting it. Boy is it ever the truth.

Cassy, good luck on your continued moderation.

Anyway, catch you all later....

Hugs,:l

Kathy
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
              X