Melatonin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melatonin

Morning all. Starting day 7 here and feeling great. I had a little get togehter at my house last night and it felt so weird to not serve wine (only one of my friends seemed a little surprised) but I did it and felt great.

I see a lot of references to people having a hard time sleeping. I have actually slept a lot better since going AF. No more passing out and then waking up at 3:00 and not able to sleep any more.

I bought another book about quitting drinking a couple of months ago that was all about nutrition - many of the same supplements and thoughts as MWO. One that they use in that program that I don't see in this is Melatonin. I have these tiny Melatonin pills that dissolve under your tongue. I've used them a few nights when I have a lot on my mind and knew I'd have a hard time sleeping and they seem to really help. I don't claim to have any specific medical knowledge but I know it is a natural chemical that our bodies use to sleep and I thought I'd offer it for further discussion and to possible help some of y'all who are having sleep problems.

HAve a great day everyone!
    Member since January 2008
    AF since August 25, 2008

Melatonin

Big Melatonin fan! The little sublingual (under the toungue) tablets are a gentle, natural way to help your body "click" into that sleep mode if you are having difficulty. They are not really meant to "keep" you asleep. So if you are still drinking, they don't work as well - but then again when i was drinking "falling asleep" wasn't generally a problem..

Another little wonder supplement that I have found very helpful these days is called L-Tryptophan. It works with Seratonin, similar to Melatonin, but a bit different. it is very useful for elevating mood, improving sleep and general relaxation... my new favorite...

Thanks for the post!

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Melatonin

Thanks for the advice TiredofHiding & Meditation Mama.

I posted yesterday that I have been feeling the blues. I believe that a lot of my moodieness is connected to not enough sleep. I started taking 5-htp last week and I fell asleep no problem. This week for some reason I can't fall alseep until the wee hours.

I was advised to take it 3 times a day so I am going to try that. I have melatonin at home, but only took it once or twice I didn't give a chance to work. I also didn't know that it was to be put under the tongue, I always just swallowed it.

I cross my fingers that soon when my head hits the pillow I will be in la la land.

Jacy

Comment

Melatonin

With the melatonin you have to read the label. If it says "sublingual" then it's the kind you put under your tongue. Otherwise you take it like any other supp.

The thing about 5-htp and tryptophan is they are metobolic precursors to melatonin and seritonin. Tryptophan metabolizes to 5-htp, which then uses some vitamin and mineral traces to metabolize to the final sleep (melatonin) and mood regulation (seratonin) hormones.

Soooo... I've experimented a bit and found that if I take tryptophan less than 3-4 hours before sleep, I have the CRAZIEST dreams for the first half of the night. Same thing seems to be true of 5-htp if I take it less than 1-2 hours before sleep, but the dreams aren't quite as intense. With melatonin, I don't seem to sleep quite as deep but I also don't get the wild dreams.
        -Patty-

Comment

Melatonin

And if you have a hard time staying asleep like I do, they do sell a time-released Melatonin as well.
          Goal 1: Today
          Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Melatonin

Nightmares!!

Hi all
            I just got my MWO Melatonin (3mg caps) and I took one before going to bed the other night and had the most horrendous nightmares (I was still shaky for some time after I woke next morning!) Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I am too scared to take it again. I Googled Melatonin and nightmares and most people seem to say 3mg is too much; that 0.5-1mg is enough?!

Thanks for any advice.
            Regards
            Blondie

Comment

Melatonin

Hello All

Melatonin is great if you are having trouble sleeping and is readily available in most mall generic pill stores.
              Mind you, you'll find the first few nights with the monkey on your back rough anyway if you're trying to go cold turkey. The little capsules will help a little, @ 185 lbs I take 2 1 hour before bed.

BFN
              Bashley

Comment

Melatonin

lukalee;256225 wrote: And if you have a hard time staying asleep like I do, they do sell a time-released Melatonin as well.
                I take the time released, LOVE it! I also take tryptophan occaisonally, during stressful times mostly.
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                X