Day 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 6

So I quit last October, for about 3.5 weeks. Then on-again off-again through November and the first half of December. Then downhill through the (extended) holidays. Last Friday I quit. Again.

So it's day 6 again, and going well. Seems to have been easier than my October experience. Maybe I've gained some strength from the intervening struggles, maybe I just know better what to expect. I've been keeping busy in the evenings to minimize the "brain loops" (can I have a beer now? how about now?), though there definitely have been some of those; taking my supps and trying to improve the diet a notch; and easing myself back into work, but not pressuring myself. So far just reading papers which I need to get caught up on. Sleep is still badly phase-shifted (up til 3 am, sleep til noon), but it's restful again.

Not thinking too far ahead this time, I'm just glad to be back on the right track. Thought I'd let y'all know how I was doing, and maybe collect a few pats on the back. (Selfish? Maybe, but I think it's good to collect some positive reinforcement when I've done well. And re-energize me to stay on track).

Thank you, everyone who's encouraged me so far. And strength to those who are still in the grip.

peace,
    lilnev
    Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
    A: Practice, of course.

Day 6

Lilnev, here's a big pat on the back for you. Good job on day 6, and I'm sure you're right...those days in October showed you it was possible, even enjoyable, and I'll bet it will get easier and easier. Way to go!

Comment

Day 6

Yes, you have done well, very well. Sometimes it takes a few "starts" to get this figured out. Sometimes I find a little arguments going on in my brain. "I think I'll relax with just one beer." "No, you decided you are not going to do that anymore." "I can't wait to go out to dinner and have a glass of wine." "No, you're not because you are not ready. You are incapable of having just one glass of wine." and on and on. . . .
      sigpic

Comment

Day 6

Hi Lilnev,

Congratulations on achieving day 6 of AF! Your "on & off agains" have strengthend you. Look back at them as mini accomplishments. It seems you are very determined to get yoursel back on track. Each time you have gone "off", you have picked yourself up and have tried again. Good for you! Continue to keep up the good work! -Reenie
        September 23, 2011

Comment

Day 6

Pat on the back to you Lilnev!!

Day 6 is great. It is very very hard to get through those first five or so. Those on again and off again experiences are part of the learning process. Take the good learning from them and keep moving forward. We are all here with you.
          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Day 6

Good job. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.....
            "The reason we fail, is so that we can learn to pick ourselves up." - Unknown

Comment

Day 6

Hi Lilnev,

Maybe you just needed to practice before you got it right? LOL Good for you. I am quitting again for the who knows what time and although I have drank a few in the last 14 days, I have had 11 AF days and absolutely no hangeovers, which I am thrilled with.

I think everyone is different and maybe this time is the one for you. I am not sure what your actual "goal" is but I wish you the best.

For me, I am trying to approach this as a lifestyle change. All of those diet gurus preach it and I thought it might just work for our little demon as well. Some people choose to go for 30, 60, 90 days, try to moderate, never drink again(omg) etc and while that is great, it just didn't seem to work for me.

Just taking it ODAT and trying to relearn how to live and experience without alcohol. It is all a learning experience.

My motto right now is : The battle is never lost until you stop fighting.

Also, take a look at the image i've attached.

-GC Attached files [img]/converted_files/410411=2971-attachment.jpg[/img]
              "If you want to change, then change." -Blonde Chic from LOST

Comment

Day 6

Hi all,

Day 7 now and I feel great today! I had the song (from South Park, the movie) running through my head this morning: "I'm super! Thanks for asking. All things considered I couldn't be better I must say...." As sung by Big Gay Al (no, not thatAl).

I think you're right that the struggle was making me stronger, even if it felt like an awful lot of "off-again". I'm not setting a specific goal this time, but roughly I have to abstain for "some months", at least, before I'll trust myself to ask larger questions. (I suspect the answer might be that I can handle social drinking, because I'm too afraid of making a fool out of myself to lose control in front of people, but I may never be able to own alcohol in my house. But that's getting ahead of myself.) For now I'm just concentrating on replacing bad habits with good ones, and feeling better, and feeling better about myself

Thanks for all your support and encouragement. It really helps me feel motivated and committed.

peace,
                lilnev
                Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
                A: Practice, of course.

Comment

Day 6

never say never

My motto is "never say never", so if I screw up, I don't beat myself up over it.....................every time I "mess" up or "screw" up, it is indeed a learning experience!

Just a thought,

love and hugs,:h :l

MA
                  :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                  X