For the toes with smiley faces - A GOAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am being inspired. I have now, finally, established a goal. I could not bring myself to just say, "I will not drink for 3 days". Somehow that seemed lame. Not stiff enough. Not actually something I could really accomplish. If I am not drinking then what am I doing? If I am not drinking, then I am going to be bored. What will I do with all that free time. Ok, ok, I know that seems lame. Like drinking takes up so much time.....sheshhhh... But, really it does. It is a past-time. I am going to take a bath, put on my pajamas and have a drink. I am going to go for a run, then sit in the backyard and have a drink. I am going to go skiing and the stop on the way home for a beer. Well, if you are not having all those drinks then what exactly are you doing? What am I going to do if I am not drinking. What will I hold? What will i sip?

After reading some other posts I realized that I, too, had some hobbies other than drinking that used to consume my time. So my goals are going to be to trade drinking for other things. The goal is not going to be, "I will not drink". The goal is going to be, "instead of drinking, I will ____________". Now I just have to fill in the blank and I will be set.

Can you imagine that it has taken all day to get this far........

Croft, my friend, I like your posts ...
    for me, a lot of what booze has been stealing from me is what I used to do. I used to read books! I was a bloody English major ! I can't read books anymore b/c I'm usually too f--ed up. Can't even watch a movie as I can't remember most of it the next day!! that's what i'm trying to keep in mind .. it's trapping me and i'm SICK of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OK, gonna watch a DVD of "Big Love" which I may not remember tomorrow. clearly I am a work in progress !
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I really love dexterhead!!! I can relate.

I have a goal for you. Watch a movie and then report back the next day your findings.

I am big into goals right now, in case you can't tell from my posts.

I LOVE TO READ! So I can so relate you your sitch. I read at night when I am drunk and then reread the same damn chapters the next night cause I forgot everything.

What do you like to read?

Comment

Croft, used to read all kinds of stuff. novels (not romance!!), political stuff .. have started a book called "The Whole World Over " by ..???..?? whose first book I loved .. but I have no brain . ugghhhh.
        i've been hanging around here for 2 months and havn'et gotten a handle on my problem so you are ahead of me. OK, I think my downstairs neighbors are smoking pot ..
        allright, gonna go watch "Big Love".. will report back
        :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I can't wait to hear back. Please spy on the neighbors.

I love to read too. Not really a fiction gal, but have been trying. read some Neil Giaman. And of course Harry Potter. But what I really like is real stuff. My all time favorite book is Guns, Germs and Steel. And I have been reading a lot about food.

And I have no handle on my drinking. So I am not far ahead. In fact, I just spent a butt-laod of money on herbal cocktails, drugs and hpyno CDs which I hope arrive soon. Stay tuned. I am off for more vodka.

Comment

Hello croft and dexterhead. What, me return a netflix movie after watching it five times and still didn't get it? Or reading the same page of a novel night after night? Nooooo, that can't be me! Really, I want to know what it's like to be "normal" again. I think I was at one time.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

croft, I remember saying once after a week of not drinking, and I honestly quote myself... "it's amazing what I can accomplish when I'm not drinking" and I felt very proud. I try to keep that thought. Did you see Peter Pan? Remember the "happy thought"? Get one. You can do it!
              sigpic

Comment

A happy thought is a good idea. hmmm let me think. getting to the top of mountain. that is pretty happy.

what about you? what is a happy thought for you?

Comment

eating snow cream. warming your clothes over the floor heater after playing in the snow. popsicles on the porch on a hot summer day. running through the sprinkler. laughing my ass off in the back seat of the car when my older siblings try to learn how to drive a stick shift on a hill. how's that?
                  sigpic

Comment

Those are wondeful thoughts! You have so many!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X