Significantly functional alcoholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've admitted it years ago but did nothing because I actually do perform well at work, exercise (and come close to staying in shape), perform music (never drinking), sail, and other activities--the problem is I follow up with the reward of at least 12 light beers. I continue this for a few days and then the 12 isn't enough so I add some stronger things, a little more each day, until finally I'm sick the next day--This causes me to swear off drinking but only lasts about 1 to 2 days, and then the pattern renews-- I've been doing this for years....and the slow progression of the disease is also incredibly stealthy... No wonder I have difficulty keeping weight off even with heavy exercise...I wonder how much better I could be at many things if I didn't drink. My whole family and almost all friends drink... I have always associated drinking with pleasure and a just reward for hard work. I'm glad to find this site and intend to make this work.

Welcome, Drake~ stay close by. There are tons of inspirational stories here- if you read enough, you'll find your "before", your "current" and your "after". Stop by often, and join the fun. You aren't a fish-out-of-the-water anymore !

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

Welcome Drake. We understand. Everyone here is trying to make a personal, positive change. We help each other.
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Drake. I can relate to the reward thing after a hard days work. But the problem for me is that becomes everyday and as you noted you need more and more......the downward spiral, I guess.
        Time to make a change, welcome to MWO.

Winefree

Comment

Hi Drake: welcome .. this is a great place with so much wisdom, support, and also humor!!!
          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

From one self proclaimed functional alcoholic to another.. it's amazing how functional you really become once alcohol is not the focal point of everything you do. I look back and now could never say that I was truly a functioning alcoholic, I was just hanging on.. I thought what I was doing was functioning, but it was more like survival.. this is living.. Good luck to you - it's worth it!!

Namaste,

MM
            Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Thanks, MM-- I know you are right about that... can't wait to see what I can become... Namaste, Charlie

Comment

Hi Drake. Welcome!!!
                Goal 1: Today
                Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Hi Lukalee33-- Thank you!

Comment

Drake - welcome. I can completely relate to the family and friends situation. I always considered myself funtional because I never got as bad as my siblings. I realize now that is no longer an excuse for me to keep drinking. I want a better life and MWO is helping me achieve that.

I drank light beer for years and I find that my cravings are very minimal now by drinking non-alcohol beer. You may like O'Douls if you drank light beer. A lot of people don't care for this brand, but I find that's only because they drank imported or "heavier" beers. Just a suggestion for.

Good luck. Read and post a lot. It helps and someone will always be here for you.

Love, Me
                    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Hi Drake,
                      You sound an awful lot like me...uncanny. I think there are a lot of other people "like us" here and in the real world.

I have found this program and website to be very helpful, I hope you do too!
                      Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

hi drake. believe in yourself. and welcome
                        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

hello drake and like everyone else has said welcome - it is a wonderful site to have found. It took me forever to convince myself that I was indeed an alcoholic because I too was and am for the most part functional. I haver never lost a job - although have called out sick after a particular heavy night. Have never been in jail or had a DUI (by God's grace) although there are more than a few times I should have been stopped. So guess I am saying yep there are many of us out there and can totally relate to what you are saying and going through. Stick around as I plan on doing you will get all the encouragement and support here.
                          when you fail at something is when you learn and grow the most

Comment

Hi Drake and welcome. You know, who ever came up with the term "functional alcoholic" should get their butt kicked. I thought I was this as well, what a joke. We aren't functioning and the term probably enables us as well.

How many of us has rationalized our drinking because at least we are "functional" and "not as bad as that guy." It may be hard to do, but I think this is a term we have to take out of our vocabulary.

OK. Rant over. Welcome and read tons. This site and these folks are fab.

:welcome:

-GTC
                            "If you want to change, then change." -Blonde Chic from LOST

Comment

just a quick hi and welcome
                              jacqui xxxx
                              Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Working...
                              X