Sat. - Jan. 26 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi 30 dayers: I've planned a busy Sat. & Sun. purposely in order to hold drinking at bay. I won't be drinking today. The g-sons will be staying overnight, & tomorrow I've got some nice plans. I think I'll be able to let down my guard a little in the future, but for now, I have to plan every minute.

I'm finding that I have to concentrate on keeping my breathing relaxed. I tend to get very wound up, & then the only way I know of to relax is to drink. I'm going to take breaks over this weekend...even if it's just to sit on the couch & watch kid vidoes w/the g-sons.

I know I've said this before, but for me, the drinking alone is the biggest problem. I've almost mastered abstaining in social situations. It's when I think I need a "break" that is the problem. There are other ways of having a break.

Today I will not be drinking. I'm not worried about tomorrow or next week. I only have today to be AF. Mary

PS: Hi Cindi!
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Great attitude, Mary! How old are your g-sons? If they are going to be there all weekend, and you are in-between plans..... you can always reverse the tables on them.... look that straight in the eyes and say,

"I'm Bored. There's NOTHING to do here. What can we do?" :h
    I'd love to see their reactions! Maybe they'll surprise you and change your plans!

Have a great time! :l

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

Great attitude, Mary! How old are your g-sons? If they are going to be there all weekend, and you are in-between plans..... you can always reverse the tables on them.... look that straight in the eyes and say,

"I'm Bored. There's NOTHING to do here. What can we do?" :h
      I'd love to see their reactions! Maybe they'll surprise you and change your plans!

Have a great time! :l

Patty
      Tampa, FL

Comment

reteacher, i really do hear you am in the same dilema am 33days sober and am soo much afraid of having anytime that am not occupied since thats the time thoughts of joining friends comes. have been keeping myself busy all day, but nights seems bad and terrible since i have nothing to do and i dont want to leave the compound, i have tried jogging every morning and sometimes take a walk at night to the forest and seems works for me since i get peace and time alone viewing it as something a never did in my life and some how it works alittle bit. will be glad to know how you do it, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Comment

Mary, Patty, Maasai,

I, too, am trying to keep busy and hanging on to my AFness like mad.

Last night in the wee hours was tough. All I wanted was some wine to put me to sleep, but THANK HEAVENS didn't have any around. Whew, good call on keeping the house booze free.

Daughter is coming over so we can finalize the wedding plans today. That should perk me up!!

AND, more importantly, daughter is letting me take her to a new doctor Monday. We must figure out what is wrong with her. She is so weak.

We do need to find new things, non-addictive and non-destructive, to fill our hours with and keep our brains busy. On another thread, Bird posted about quieting the racing thoughts in her head. I, too, think that part of my problem is the constant chatter going on in there.

I did get the ALL One and noticed a huge difference yesterday and then this morning in my well-being. I must have really been getting starved nutrionally. I am also out of GABA, so need to get some of that. It would have been nice to notice when I in town shopping yesterday... Oh well, it's just gas.

Okay, enough chattering.

Mary, I am right with you, we are going to do this. Yes, as you said on another thread, moms have needs, too.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The g-sons are 2 & 4. They are the cutest! We'll have fun...I'll be in the moment w/them. M
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Everyone: those here and those to come,

Mary, I'm glad to see you get back to your ODAT approach. Keeping busy at first is the key. You sound like you're getting stronger as each day passes.

NHHHL, that's some good advice you have there! It made me chuckle.

Maasai,:welcome: . I've seen your name around for a bit. Congrats on your 33 days. It sounds like you are doing very well so far. Don't worry, that free time does get easier. Do your friends know what you are doing? I hope they are supportive.

Anyway, I'm going to have a busy, but relaxed day. Finally taking the Christmas tree down. That way I can have Maddy put the big ornament box back in the garage before she goes back to college tomorrow.:upset: I've been having her do some stuff for me, and she has been scolding me, saying, "Mom, you know I'm not going to be here forever to do things for you!" :H It's pretty cute.

Anyway, have a good day all, and if AL comes knocking at your door, kick him to the curb!!

Hugs,:l

Kathy
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Maasai- Perhaps I'm stepping out of bounds here, and if so, ignore me. But I live in the (relatively) safe town near Tampa, in a typical suburban American suburb: our downtown is being revitalised with tax dollars; there's a Super Wal-Mart being built on the corner, and the hardest decision I have to make tonight is what pizza company should deliver the pizza. I know that Kenya is in turmoil, and I was reading some of it in Newsweek today.

Would you be willing to share, please? I'd like to understand what your life is like~ I can watch what the media wants us to know on TV. I understand that you live in a compound, but.... is that a small village, or a couple of buildings? Is fear a constant emotion, or is it manageable? What is your daily life like?

If sharing/journaling here would help you stay AF, then I'd love to read your thoughts; on the other hand, if journaling will tempt you to hit the bottle, then by all means don't. I'd just like to learn more about this little place called Earth.

Love,

Patty
                Tampa, FL

Comment

Hi all!

Happy Saturday!

Mary - great approach. I know for me, I actually have to rest A LOT when I am getting AF days under my belt. I plan it into my daily life. These past three weeks have been nothing but coming home from work to rest and a few movies out with my daughter. We have been having fun playing, but I am keeping it low. I think she actually likes the calm, mellow nights, too! Thanks for being here, Mary!

Cindi - You sound really good. Sounds likeyou also have some family things to keep you occupied. I really think this is a blessing for us. There are a few nights in the past three weeks I may have slipped if my daughter had not been with me.

YAH, Your daughter going back to college.. I have a lot of clients that are sending thier kids back right now.. sad... I can't even think of that right now!

So today I will give thanks for my daughter!

maasai - So glad to have you here. 33 days is wonderful! I have read your posts and commend your courage. You are an inspiration!

NHHL - you are cracking me up today! Got a Bee in yoru bonnet??? But on your second note.. I would also like to learn more about Kenya. Elizabeth has brought some interesting posts.

Well, I am off to snowblow my driveway. We got dumped on so this will take a while! I tried to pull in last night and got my car stuck - AARRGHHH! I had to dig it out so I could go pick up sushi and a movie. Ended up leaving it on the street and forgetting about it for the night. Sushi and a movie - too great - wasn't going to ruin my night!

Check in later...

MM
                  Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Kids are coming soon...I'll be in touch tomorrow or Mon. at the latest. M
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

evening poaters....

getting through another day AF.....6 in a row and 25 this month.....love to see them start to add up..

hope everyone else are having a good weekend...
                      -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

Not Happy,
                        None of us are happy ! We just want to cope ! If your not drinking your doing ok. This place is not a social club....just a way to help you quit ! IAD
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Tally HO Aberoooos!

wishing you all strength and happiness on this fine Saturday. I'm off to a social event tonight and hope to come home with my wits about me.
                          be well friends.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hey IAD and Mama,

Yes, I have a bee in my bonnet... a whole hives' nest! This weekend in Tampa, there is a huge party called Gasparilla- like pirates.... buccanneers~ get it? Anyway, there was the day parade this afternoon, everyone IN the parade is drinking and throwing beads to the crowd.... and everyone WATCHING the parade is drinking.....

My 17 year old daughter had her SATS this morning ,but also had to march the parade... so this afternoon field trip was to find her band at the parade.

My 10 year old came along for the adventure, and since I wasn't about to leave my daughter downtown without knowing if she'd find her band....we parked. A wonderful policeman let us hop the fence on the parade route, so we were actually IN the parade (my 10 year old loved it)....

Very Interesting! A bunch of drunk adults, dressed like Pirates. The guys were wearing oodles of beads and carrying BOTTLES- like the 1.75L size- of Captain Morgan. Budweiser was a major sponsor and selling aluminum bottles of beer...
                            Drunk ladies were "showing their boobs" for beads.... making out with ugly pirates for the nice beads.... as they say in Minnesota, "ISSHH!"

Very different to watch when you're stone cold sober. Once we got our daughter married up with her band, we walked the parade like tourists and collected LOTS of beads.... my son counted them when he got home, and he has 87 necklaces. At least he has a great memory where Mom was sober!

Patty
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                            X