I'm afraid to fail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid to fail!

I am really scared I can't do this. I don't want to be the odd one out all the time when everyone is having drinks.

What will I do??????
    Smile at everyone, you never know the burdens they bare.

You can't see the light, unless you've been in the dark

I'm afraid to fail!

don't worry about failing. !!! many of the people here, myself included, are still 'works in progress." you can always come here, even if you haven't managed to quit, and no one will be judgmental. Just knowing that you want to work on your problem, and taking baby steps, will help you mentally. there's so much support here!!
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

Hon, when you are out and people are having drinks, some may not be drinking alcohol. What's wrong w/having a soda? We all are afraid of something, that's why so many of us drank in the first place. But it gets to the point one is afraid if they keep drinking they'll die younger. Quality of life...........that's a biggie. :l One day at a time. Don't feel overwhelmed by the thought of never drinking. Think just for this moment, now, I CHOOSE not to drink.

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

hi there re-living...it only get better .dont worry ..this work for me i face my fears head on. you wont know until you try it.and take one day at a time...good luck.and keep on posting
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

There are NO failures here!!!!! You hear me....you can not think of stopping drinking on a large scale first off. it is to stressful. You will have a nervous breakdown. You have to start off slow. Hour to hour, day to day, then a week, then a month. Tell friends and family you are laying off the sauce for dieatry reasons. Trying to start a health program or some crap like that. Then they won't push the booze on you. You can do this, but don't think about it non-stop. You will drive yourself crazy. Get the supplements to help with cravings and to restore the damage done to your body by excessive drinking through the years.

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

don't be afraid:h
            rudemama

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

Yep - don't be afraid. Just think of how great you will feel the next day!

There is nothing to fear! You are doing this, because you care about you!

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

Hi Re-living~ I understand your fear. This week, I'm at a National Sales Meeting with 300 other colleagues, which is really HAPPY HOUR from 6 pm til ??? Last night was until 2:30 am, and I'm proud to say I did NOT drink alcohol.... which, in 15 years, is a first for me.

Last night, I blended in by drinking a non-disclosed beer (St Pauli Girl NA- kind of looks real)... a couple of my FRIENDS noticed and asked CASUALLY.... what is up with that? I simply said I started the New Year with a New Diet and I'm doing 30 days AF.... Today, I realized that it WAS a casual comment, except that I'm hyper-sensitive to not drinking. In retrospect, it would be no different than if they commented on my weight loss, or new hair cut.

My FRIENDS said, "Good for you!" A couple of them commented that they were considering doing the same thing. As the night went on, many of them switched to water and joined me AF. The noise at the bar did NOT stop because I said I wasn't drinking. I did NOT become the laughing stock of the group. The world continued to rotate on its axis, and life continued on!!! :exclaim:
                Obviously, I'm not close to all 300 people, and some of the PASSER BYs
                did give me some grief. But, while they were giving me grief, they were rather drunk, and chances are, they didn't remember it today (and should I really care?). I'm not here to please them- I have to worry about the 4 kids at home that have faith in me. I have to worry about keeping myself healthy.
                Tonight we are going to a Trivia Contest, and I'll drink a Club Soda with a Splash of Cranberry, and a twist of lime (suggested here ).... so. I'm changing how I look at the world, and it's helping. Thanks to the support I have here. :h

I found this quote, and I'm keeping it close to my heart tonight:

"Life's real failure is when you do not realize how close you were to success when you gave up.":heart:

Patty
                Tampa, FL

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

I love that idea of blaming it on diet. That is a great idea! For so many reasons....... AL is so full of useless calories when it comes to nutrition.

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

Not Happy Hour-Happy Life;263452 wrote: Hi Re-living~ I understand your fear. This week, I'm at a National Sales Meeting with 300 other colleagues, which is really HAPPY HOUR from 6 pm til ??? Last night was until 2:30 am, and I'm proud to say I did NOT drink alcohol.... which, in 15 years, is a first for me.

Last night, I blended in by drinking a non-disclosed beer (St Pauli Girl NA- kind of looks real)... a couple of my FRIENDS noticed and asked CASUALLY.... what is up with that? I simply said I started the New Year with a New Diet and I'm doing 30 days AF.... Today, I realized that it WAS a casual comment, except that I'm hyper-sensitive to not drinking. In retrospect, it would be no different than if they commented on my weight loss, or new hair cut.

My FRIENDS said, "Good for you!" A couple of them commented that they were considering doing the same thing. As the night went on, many of them switched to water and joined me AF. The noise at the bar did NOT stop because I said I wasn't drinking. I did NOT become the laughing stock of the group. The world continued to rotate on its axis, and life continued on!!! :exclaim:
                    Obviously, I'm not close to all 300 people, and some of the PASSER BYs
                    did give me some grief. But, while they were giving me grief, they were rather drunk, and chances are, they didn't remember it today (and should I really care?). I'm not here to please them- I have to worry about the 4 kids at home that have faith in me. I have to worry about keeping myself healthy.
                    Tonight we are going to a Trivia Contest, and I'll drink a Club Soda with a Splash of Cranberry, and a twist of lime (suggested here ).... so. I'm changing how I look at the world, and it's helping. Thanks to the support I have here. :h

I found this quote, and I'm keeping it close to my heart tonight:

"Life's real failure is when you do not realize how close you were to success when you gave up.":heart:
                    By they way - good job not drinking in a party atmosphere. That takes super-hero strength!!

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

I love that quote Patty and good for you for staying so strong away from home surrounded by people, not an easy task!

Re-living, don't set yourself up for failure before you start. Being the odd man out not drinking is not failure.

Define what you think success is. Even if you mean "just for today, or tomorrow". Don't think of failure, think of what you can do to improve, to reach success.
                      Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

I'm afraid to fail!

Re-living,
                        Welcome to this fabulous site! And I understand your nervousness, I too have a ton of anxiety about drinking.... or maybe even NOT drinking again. I spent 3 days AF last week and then spent my weekend drunk. But I came here for support and was given many kind words and useful advice.
                        Here are a few points I would like to share with you, they helped me.

-ONE DAY AT A TIME, try ONE MOMENT at a time.
                        -Try counting total days AF, not consecutive days AF, my 3 days plus now 2 more, means that in 2008, I have spent 5 days AF, which is better than none.
                        -We are allowed to slip up, it takes real courage to get back up and try again!
                        -Don't beat yourself up! You are here, and that is something to be proud of

Gosh, I have so many, but that's it for now. Keep coming back, you'll find some really caring people here, they've become my "family of support," and know more about my struggles than people who actually KNOW me.

One more thing, remember, we are all at different points in our struggle with the BIG AL, you are not alone!

Much Love!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X