Also In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also In Need

I've put in a few posts but have been lurking around for quite some time. I did 30 AF in November then spent December drunk. I have been drinking most of the day trying to get rid of my hangover. I have a great life. I live in a beautiful home. I have a wonderful husband. I have great parents. I can't trace anything in my past that has made me a drunk, but that is what I am. I love being sober but can't ever seem to get around to it. What do I do?? Thanks for letting me vent.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Also In Need

Welcome gabby1go!

Have you downloaded the book from this site? Sometimes we need an inspirational read to get us started. Also, maybe get some supplements to replenish your body?

There are many here like yourself that have a great life, great family, etc... but still end up with this demon.

Again, welcome! Glad you found us!

Comment

Also In Need

You did it before, you can do it again. You are here and trying, thats awesome. Why we drink?? I have "excuses" for it, but there is no real reason. I liked the way I felt, hated the next morning. Then to face the day still recovering, just sucked. If you haven't already, read the book, take the supplements and keep coming here, read, and post it works. When you have a set back everyone here is geat with words of wisdom and to let you know it is part of the process. Good luck.

Comment

Also In Need

Thanks for the replies. I take the supps, have read the book. Read almost every book out there. I can't figure this out. I don't have physical withdrawls. It is all mental for me. My brain needs to be reworked. It tells me all day long...drink, drink, drink. The worst part is that my husband's ex is a drunk and a serious drug addict. He barely touches the stuff. He will leave me. He can't go through this again.

Comment

Also In Need

Rewiring the brain takes some work - that is for certain, BUT it is possible!! Can you talk to your doctor about it? Ask for a prescription to help you like Topamax or Campral? Believe me there is no harm in asking your physician. I told mine many months ago that I was struggling and he prescribed me something... it really helps. (but I also have depression/mania) so it wasn't Topa or Campral... but I hear it can really help!

Are you bored? I know for me if I do not keep busy, I start thinking about it. I do manage to stave it off, but I know I have to get up and do something - or even log on here. Both helps.

Comment

Also In Need

hi there.. gabbigo.there is alot of good people here and just try to take one day at a time .read and post your questions. remember you are not alone. god bless..and ...good luck
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Also In Need

Hi Gabby1go

:welcome:

You need to realise why you drink, because that will help you along the way.

I used be torn - one part of me so desperately quit and then the next I was worried how I would cope without alcohol. I found helpful was to write a list of reason why and why I do not want to drink.

Keep reading & posting.

Comment

Also In Need

Thanks all. I am feeling a bit better now. I think making a list would do me some good. I need to think about all that I will lose if I keep up this destructive behavior. This site gives me inspiration and hope.

Comment

Also In Need

Dear gabby1go
                  I drink and think about drink all the time too. Yet have lovely life, and no obvious reason. I have tried counselling to find one, and there really isn't one. I just drink, and want new brain!
                  30 days AF tho, wow! You should be so proud. Now you know you can do it, more months like that will maybe rewire brain a bit...
                  Good Luck!
                  Pipsqueak

Comment

Also In Need

pipsqueak,

I have done the counseling route as well. Drugs, therapy, ...yadda, yadda, yadda. How do we rework this so that we can live another day? I'm not hopeless, I just want to know the secret to being sober.

Comment

Also In Need

Hi all,
                      three days A/F here....the lingest tome in many years.
                      I just "fell" into your site and feel very much at home.
                      I have not heard anyone mention the tapes in order to "rewire". They seem to help get me started.:new:

Comment

Also In Need

:l hi gabbie1go,

I'm a little scared you tried drugs to and that didn't help you, cuz i was really hoping for that to work along with the program. I also could use a new brain, I am too aware of drink, drink, drink. Hate it, Hate it, Hate it.

anxious:l
                        Anxious

When the heart cries for what it has lost the spirit sings for what it has found!

Comment

Also In Need

Hi there

I am just wondering, is there any additional information you can provide?
                          You say you have a wonderful life and not a bad childhood right? What about your family? any history of alcoholism there (even if they were great, maybe alcoholic, or their relatives were? Also, what age did this come on for you? Is it possible that it is something hormonal? There are so many things that could be factors. We have had some members whose alcoholism worsened after gastric bypass surgery.

I have to say, there don't seem to be too many people here with happy personal histories so your case seems interesting.

Comment

Also In Need

There is a history of alcoholism in my family (grandfather) but I can point to some other factors that make me want to always be reaching for the bottle. I started drinking in my teens but not too much. Went to college and had freedom for the first time in my life. I drank all of the time. Never went to class, almost got kicked out because the toll my partying had on my studies. Then after college I was only a social drinker for many years. When I was in my last job I travelled constantly and had dinner meetings almost every night of the week. Always drinking more than I should have. I retired about 5 years ago and was so bored that I just progressively drank more and more leading to where I am at now. Well, today is day 1 AF for me and I am going to go for 30. The supplements do work for me but the minute I have that first drink, it is all over. Thanks for all of the support of there. I need it.

Comment

Also In Need

Gabby1go, Hello and welcome. I have a similar story to yours, ups and downs that may have started my drinking, but now I have a great life, husband and job. I think sometimes I drink because I am a worrier and try to make everything perfect all the time. I am also a bit of a social phobic which I will drink to try and relax. At times drinking seems like an escape from my constantly busy mind. Just some input for ya, keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X