Thurs. - Jan. 31 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the last day of Jan., & personally I'm glad. I had a hard time & would like to start anew. Today, I again feel strong & determined. I'm realizing that my alcoholic voice can switch on at any time. Regardless of how many AF days I have accumulated, the addiction is there waiting to be activated. I don't need an excuse.

I hope that if you are reading this thread, you'll join in. You don't have to have anything profound to say. Sometimes the simplest sharings spark a real chord in people. I'm taking my sobriety one day at a time for now. Ultimately, I know that AF is only option for me.

Sincerely, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mary,

I am so relieved to see you back "up" again.

Yes, I, too am looking forward to the Lent commitment. It is a double-edged commitment for me.

I am back taking all the recommended supplements very faithfully. I forget how much they help. Unfortunately, when I travel (at home this week and hopefully next) it is so much more difficult to keep up with them and travel with them. (I am sure TSA wonders what kind of freak I am..)

I like the All One much better than trying to do multi-vitamins and separate Aminos. Too many pills for the gastric bypass pouch.

However, I can attest that the ALL One, GABA, Magnesium, EPO, B-Vits and Melatonin at night do make me feel better mentally and physically. As in AA's HALT, they just add to my well-being enough to help me when the cravings hit.

I use the L-Glut only when a craving comes up. (I take more than the MWO recommended GABA..)

I have recently added SamE for depression and readded the L-Tryptophan based on MM's posts.

Lots of supps. OMG, I am going to have to buy a separate bag just for them for next trip.

Oh well. If it helps, it is sooo worth it.

I am feeling up up up today. That is after a week of insuring I take this stuff. Wow. (Can't wait to see what the SamE and L-Tryptophan add to this when they kick in, should take a couple of weeks..)

I always used to think people taking supplements were just wasting money. I have since readjusted that opinion...

Love to all and hope everyone has a great AF day.
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

You're sounding more and more like your old self, Mary, and that makes me happy. I'm glad that you get to start a new month of zero's in your drink tracker tomorrow.

Everything is okay with me. I'm starting to think of different things to do to spark a social life. Maybe get involved in a cause I believe in? Any ideas that don't involve lots of $$?

Anyway, I've gotta start my day.

Have a happy AF day, all!

Hugs,:l

Kathy

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary, Cindi and all to come -

Mary - I've been thinking this week about how February 1 would be a do-over of sorts for the new year for me. Big problems in my family and long distance Christmas travel (yuk) made the holidays so hard - I did drink some, but more than that, I didn't hit the new year with the kind of enthusiasm I wanted to. I was emotionally wiped out for a little while. Very depleted. I'm jusy getting back to that "in the groove" feeling. So...... I say January was my warm-up for 2008. Happy AF New Year!

Cindi - I want to know about the SAMe and tryprohpan effects for you. I just started the tryptophan (also from MM's post!). Hoping it helps

Have a great AF day everyone.

Wonder xx

Comment

Kathy,

I think getting into something social right now is a great idea for you. Your sister is gone, your daughter is only home once in a while.

You have a whole new world waiting for you, a rebirth!!

I hesitate to make any suggestions because I suspect we are very much different in the things we like to do.

One thing I ALWAYS wanted to do was take dance classes. I can't right now because of the travel but as soon as I get a "work at home" job, that is the FIRST thing I am going to do!! (Dragging hubby's butt with me whether he likes it or not. :H )

I hope you find something(s) fun, fullfilling and exciting. :l

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

WW,

Will keep you posted.

The way I feel today, after taking supps and watching diet for the last week, I am afraid to feel any better. It could almost get manic. (Never been there before...)

Hope the L-Tryptophan works for you, let me know what you think, too.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi ladies!

WOW, sounds like everyone is doing great today - I'll be included in that bunch!

Cindi and WOnder - a note on the L-TRYP: I ran out a last week and was off for four days (don't know if you saw my post), and REALLY noticed a difference!!! I was getting anxious, a bit depressed, not sleeping (back to taking Ambien for a few nights), and then it hit me! Anyway, I went and got more yeah.. but when I did she gave me a sample of some new L-Tryp to try. Supposed to be better as it has some b-6 and some other ingredients for better absorbsion.. anyway, I tried it last night and I could definately tell a difference - I DIDN'T like it. I woke up in the middle of the night twice and then finally got up at 4am feeling tense. So, I am going back to my trusted brand. It seems potent and works immediately. The brand is Source Naturals - very popular brand - comes in 500mg capsules. I tell you this in case you don't feel a difference. You should feel a difference within a few days...

Hope this helps...

Well I'm off to the spa.. My heater stopped working and it is FREEZING. I'm not waitng for the heating guys.. going up where it's warm!

Have a wonderful day!

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Hi Mary,
                I have been reading about a cure online this morning for a current ailment and was disappointed to find I have this for life!
                Just dawned on me when reading your post that AL is a relative of the Herpes simplex type 1 virus (cold sore to us) This evil cousin sits in wait in your nerves only to come out without thought or warning to the unsuspecting victim. This is a lifetime parasite that needs nipping in the bud at the tingling stage! Sounds so familiar EH?
                Well you said it needn't be profound but wanted to add my pennies worth today.
                Glad you are feeling better. You are one of my mentors that come to my aid when I was a newborn newbie to this site!

Cindi I love that Avatar its great and just how I feel today (coldsore and all)

Eastx
                In life we can live out our dreams its true
                the one who decides,takes chances,makes choices is YOU.

Comment

top of the Thursday ABeroooos!

Deeby congrads on turning into a fellow sup junkie

well, getting a little nervous now...taking off in the morning for a tradeshown in Vegas. going to be a hellacious test so wish me luck!

gotta go pack my supplements now.....

be well friends
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

I like that analogy eastender. I have both viruses too

MM - Thanks for the tryptophan info. I bought a brand I don't know that the guy in the store recommended - Jarrow Formulas - do you know it? They are 100mg capsules, and it says to take 1, but you're having the therapeutic effect with 500mg . What do you think I should do?

Cindi- Look at us !!! What a difference a day (or two) makes! I'm feeling my mojo this a.m. too. (in case you couldn't tell )

Yougatheart: I agree - causes are a good way to meet people. 2 things come to mind - when I was looking for volunteer opportunities recently, I cam across a website that was an ongoing list of what's needed and where in my area. It was an interesting mix - some stuff I didn't expect - such as an afternoon get-together writing letters for Amnesty International. Maybe there's something like that in your area.

Another thing is Craigslist. If you live in an area that has a craiglist (you can go to craigslist: new york city classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
                    and look down the right side of the page), there are lisitngs there for community events, social clubs and events, volunteer stuff, etc.

Community bulletin boards are good too. We have one in the local healthfoodstore with all kinds of fliers and stuff. And communty lisitngs in local papers.

wonder xx

Comment

Hi Mary,
                      I have been away from the site for a while. Like everyone else, you have been my mentor in the past months. Hope all is going better for you. Slumps and valleys in life are always there, aren't they?

I am in Vegas...Deter. and I will probably pass in the airport tomorrow. It has been quite a challenge not to drink this week...it is everywhere in your face here...so far I have made it. I have to go AF and I didn't want to crater just because of "what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas" :-)

I was sad at a lovely steak dinner when I passed on a glass of fine red wine.....but I know that had I taken the sip, I would have hated myself.

Good to read all the posts. Take care of yourself!
                      It's a brand new day!

Comment

WonderWorld.

I have to know....your new Avatar....is that "Marcia" from the "Brady Bunch". If you do not see this tonight, I'm going to ask again tomorrow. Oh, and if that is her, I would just like to know why, cause I really liked that "male angel".....that Angel was in awesome shape...he was an inspiration !
                        Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

wonderworld;264431 wrote:
                          MM - Thanks for the tryptophan info. I bought a brand I don't know that the guy in the store recommended - Jarrow Formulas - do you know it? They are 100mg capsules, and it says to take 1, but you're having the therapeutic effect with 500mg . What do you think I should do?
                          Hi!

I actually am taking 1000mg... I took 500mgs for the frist night and 1000mg the second night. That is what my accupuncturist told me. I went up to 1500mgs, but that was too much. I really like the effects of 1000mgs. My suggestions would be to get the 500mgs capsules. I don't think you are going to get any benefit from 100mgs... and I don't think you want to take 10 pills - argh! I really like the Source Naturals brand.. maybe you can find that one?

Let me know if youhave any questions...

MM
                          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

I feel bad, Cindi, when I started writing my post this morning, there were only two posts before mine, and it looks like I neglected you. You must have posted when I was writing. Actually, I love dancing, and I would love to take some ballroom or latin classes, or maybe brush up on my college French in night school. We might not be all that different.

Wonder, not all New Year's things start on New Year's Day. I wish you a happy February 1st and new beginnings. Thanks for all your good suggestions on how to meet people.

MM, that's great info on the l-tryp, it sounds like it addresses several issues. Sorry that your digs are cold. I can't think of anything worse than a cold house--brrrr.....!

Hi Eastender and Peggy Sue.

Deter, BEHAVE YOURSELF!!:H I'll send some good vibes your way in the next few days to help.

LOL, Miss October.

Anyway, I'm going to turn in soon. I just wanted to say hey to everyone once again.

:l :l
                            Kathy
                            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Day 20. Now I'm thinking: to count or not to count? Counting up the days does give me a sense of acheivement, but it also provides a focus on alcohol, even though I'm not drinking it. I'd just like to get through the day without thinking about it. And I sometimes do; until I pick up my journal and ask myself where I am in the 30 days.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Best wishes to all. I don't come here very often, but my thoughts are with you.

D x

Comment

Working...
                              X