DT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DT's

I suffered DT's many years ago......my drinking has slowly increased again!!!! I don't want to go to the DR......I am wondering if I can wean myself off of alcohol without going thru the DT's????

Thanks for your help!!:new:

DT's

Dear dkmcd2000 - welcome, I'm still quiet new myself (only a week old),:h but this place is full of understanding and supporting souls. Hang in there. Read the posts - they are so inspirational - they kept me not drinking for a week - which is a huge deal for someone like me as I'm used to having a drink (or 3) each night. This really works - just read on and get inspired. You can do it!!

Comment

DT's

hey dkmcd2000 well it all depends how long and how much you have been drinking.
      the DT's are pretty serious stuff. some people get pretty sick from withdawl.
      there is a lot of info un this thread regarding the safety of getting off the alcohol.
      welcome and please be careful
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

DT's

Hey 2000 -
        Alcohol withdrawal is very dangerous.
        Try to avoid the DT's altogether.
        If you have a family doctor that you can be honest with,
        ours gives librium to help with the DT's.
        You still feel like crap and are fuzzy, but it will save you from the damage.

Glad you are here.
        Dx
        * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

DT's

Hi dkmcd2000,
          Its not a given that you will go through DT's, but research shows....

#Quote:" Because vitamin deficiency causes potentially life-threatening symptoms, doctors in emergency departments generally give large intravenous doses of vitamin C and B complex vitamins, especially thiamin. Intravenous fluids, magnesium, and glucose are often given to prevent some of the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and to avoid dehydration."

Perhaps you could take a layman's approach to this by dosing yourself up on the B and C and keeping your fluids up and, of course, seek medical help if it starts going pear shaped.

I was drinking over a bottle of vodka a day and gave up, cold turkey, with no side effects at all! I think it's good to try drug free at first as research has shown that severe DT's are only dangerous if left unchecked for some time.As your post says you've been through them once and, tho unpleasant, didn't kill you.

Its funny how we worry about the sweats and shakes but don't think twice about chucking a litre of poison down our throat...
          Good luck with the journey, being free of the bottle is a wonderful thing..
          Victoria xxooxx

Comment

DT's

[QUOTE]
            If you have a family doctor that you can be honest with,
            ours gives librium to help with the DT's.

I ditto the librium. That's what I'm using on Monday. I've used it before.

Good luck!
            Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
            X