First post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post

Hi, have been reading all these posts and feeling very emotional. Wine like many of you out there has been my "drink of choice!" Its so easy to get through a bottle without realising. Finally decided must do something to control it as am frightened of long term health problems. Have managed on one glass a day now for one week but life seems rather grey and have experienced some of the withdrawal symtoms mentioned, fatigue when I thought I would have more energy, nervousness when I thought I would be calmer etc..!!! I have very supportive husband and a lovely life in France, so why this need for something more? Just want to drink like everyone else seems to be able to, but then no-one really knew that I was struggling with it, so maybe there are more people with the problem in my social circle than I think!! It is so lovely to know that you are all out there and I am not alone.:new:

First post

welcome CATNIP you have just joined the right group and its nice you have managed to cut down your drinking on your own, am sure you will get the help you need here,
    welcome again

Comment

First post

Hi Catnip - welcome.

You have found a great group of people here who will help you in any way they can.

Many people here are successfully controlling their drinking either by moderating or going completerly Alcohol Free (AF).

This place WORKS - I have currently 6 1/2 months AF behind me - after 20 plus years of drnking uncontrolledly.

Post often - read lots - download the book - it costs very little - and read.

Then hop on here to ask questions or just hang out.

If you need help urgently - post in the "need help ASAP" area - cos we check there often for people struggling or in need of urgent support.

Hope to see you around

Love

Satori

xxx
      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

First post

Hello Catnip and Welcome -

Glad you jumped in. One glass of wine a day is indeed moderate! And I can understand the disappointment that you didn't feel better right away. I don't know how long you were drinking or in what amounts, but a week is not very long, so don't despair. Especially for women, with our complicated and sensitive physiology.

Also, your body won't fully detox from the alcohol until you get rid of it completely for a time. Even that one glass will keep you from cleaning out. If you decide to pursue the initial 30 day AF period - you will feel a big change, especially after day 9 or 10.
        Why not try it? Then you can decide whether to moderate or continue AF with a clear mind and body! The book explains this approach.

Keep reading and posting-
        wonder xx

Comment

First post

Catnip: good for you . . .I just posted on this website yesterday . . . decided myself I needed to make a change and take control back of this alcholol thing . . .may be we can help each other?

I happen to be a control freak so that fact that I need or want to have a drink ever night truly is astonighing to me . . .up until several years ago I never drank . . .not at parties, not in my youth . . just didn't care and wasn't interested . . . .come from a family of alcoholics and knew the damage it could cause . . . .

so here I find myself trying to figure out how to have it be no big deal when in reality I know I just need to stop . . .cold turkey . . . so I ordered RJ (the fonder of this website and organization) book and herbal supplements that are geared for aid in the withdrawal process . . . and I'm going to go for it!

Let me know how I can help you . . .hang in there and it will get better because you've DECIDED it will donna:thumbs:

Comment

First post

:welcome: Catnip

You're doing really well....many folk here would give their right arm to be able to moderate at 1 glass a day!

It might be good for you to do a 30 day AF.....it's quite a challenge but you will probably find yourself thinking differently and changing your ideas about alcohol

Well done!

Suze x
            Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

First post

Welcome catnip!!!!

You are going to find a lot of support on this site. We are all here for you to help you accomplish your goals!!!!

Comment

First post

Catnip, beware of WonderWorld who has stolen my headshot. A lawsuit is pending.

You will find many sincere heartfelt offerings of help here, and also a lot of silliness. I LOVE IT ALL. Lots of fun people here. Some have drinks in their hands as they type, some don't---but the common denominator is, we're all aware of the fact that drinking has become an issue at some level.

Love your name. My old kitty is a "catnip-a-holic"!!!
                Jane Jane

Comment

First post

Catnip , Welcome!! I CANNOT allow you near my kitty, he will become even more deranged.:H
                  Glad you have joined us, many people here have similar stories. and we are fun. especially Jane Jane, she thinks she is either Kyra Sedgwick or Susan Dey .. I am all confused .. Marcia Brady was here earlier too. sorry for the tangent . Seriously , this is a great site, so much support and wisdom.
                  :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

First post

Dex and Jane.....stop frightening new people please! :H Take your medication and quieten down LOL.....................

Suze x
                    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

First post

Hi Catnip. Definatley just starting out is rough. As others here have suggested, maybe you could go without any alcohol for a while. ALL of those nasty withdrawls will cease. Once your system is cleaned out trust me you'll walk around feeling 10 feet tall! Experiencing that feeling alone is worth stopping for a while.

I'm pretty new here too, but welcome and best of luck to you. By the way cutting back like you've already done is quite a feat so you do have something to be proud of already

Comment

First post

Welcome catnip! Like the others have said, you will find tons of support here. You are doing remarkably well with one glass a day.

You most likely will feel some withdrawal symptoms if you were drinking significantly more, but it will go away with time.

Take lots of vitamins, esp. Vitamin B's and C. Drink lots of water, get lots of rest and try to get in some exercise if you can.

Post lots and read lots - it will keep you inspired to become well.

Comment

First post

Hey! Thanks to all you lovely people out there for such an all embracing welcome, will think about the 30 day business! Don't like the idea of it very much but MAYBEEE! LOL to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

First post

Welcome catnip! Just wanted to let you know that I'm just finishing up my second week AF and I had all the symptoms you were talking about ...but I'm finally coming back from the dead and am starting to feel really good. So I know you'll start to feel better!! Good Luck!:welcome:
                            It's personal, myself and I, we've got some straightening out to do. And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life.
                            It's time to be a big girl now....

Comment

First post

Welcome Catnip

Hi Catnip
                              :welcome: So glad you have joined with us and are posting on these boards. keep reading and posting and you'l get support, I did. Im fairly new and have only been AF for 20 days.
                              Like you, I struggled to keep my drinking under control. Wine was my downfall and I found myslf spending more and more time waiting to have the next glass/bottle...you know where I'm coming from. My partner is a big drinker too, and when I started looking into support for me with his drinking, I realised that he wasnt the only one with a problem.
                              I want to stop before things get to the point where this thing really has a hold on me, Im aware that I struggled to control it and frequently drank more than I wanted to, and sometimes went to work hungover, and hated myself for it. I dont want to be ashamed and fearfull of what the future holds anymore. I dont know whats happening, but finding it in myself to stop and try to keep away from the wine day by day is making me feel stronger somehow. Just take things one day at a time and be gentle with yourself.

Be lucky

Geordiegirl

Comment

Working...
                              X