Newbies in need ODAT - Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, ok, you've FORCED me to the start the post today! I've left it until lunchtime and I can't go any longer without it!!

So, today. I will not drink. I did say the same yesterday but I did drink .... but I drank in exactly the way I am aiming for. Moderately, sensibly, enjoying it, knowing when to stop. That is my ultimate goal and it is such a pleasure to be able to do it at this stage, although I don't, for one minute, think I am 'cured' of the bad drinking habits I have spent 20 years perfecting.

It probably helped that I was absolutely EXHAUSTED after a day out hunting - glorious sunny day, the horse was a total star, the weather was cold but we were on the go for pretty much 3 1/2 hours round some beautiful countryside - add into that the early morning and all the preparation, travelling, bedding down, feeding etc afterwards, I'm amazed I managed to stay awake long enough to eat dinner!! Wouldn't have it any other way though!

So for tonight I won't drink. I need to claim as many days AF as possible for my mental strength and health - and I am really going to try to do Lent in full. Hope somebody starts a good strong LENT thread.

Love and best wishes to all who follow.

Bessie xxx

Hi Bessie,

Managed to stay AF yesterday.
    Will do today too.
    Have a great Sunday everyone

Eastx
    In life we can live out our dreams its true
    the one who decides,takes chances,makes choices is YOU.

Comment

Bessie, sounds like a perfect day. I too had two small glasses of a wonderful 2004 chianti, with a homemade lasagna dinner (my swedish grandmother's fabulous recipe). But that was all.

It's 7:30 am here. About to walk into Boston (about two miles), will walk by the waterfront and smell the incredible sea air. Exchange my new cell phone, a useless piece of c@$p, come home, make some munchies, buy some AF beer, go to a friend's to watch the Superbowl till halftime and come home. Will be a great day without AL.

Hope all who stop here today have a great day.

Go PATS!

Comment

East, posting at the same time. I'm such a slow typer. Hope all is well with your daughter and house. Thinking of you. Thanks for all of your support.

S xxxx

Comment

I also managed af yesterday, and hoping to do the same today. I am definitely giving up for lent. Well done Bessie and East. Best of luck all to come.
          At my church it has been suggestesd that we give something up for lent and contribute to charity what we would have spent, I intend to contribute to Cafod.
          Paula.x

Comment

Hello all, happy Sunday. Like Bessie and Suki, I drank but drank moderately this weekend. During the week I will not drink. I will be on board for AF through Lent, could somebody tell me when that starts? I know, heathen from way back!

I am having a superbowl party, making lots of football food, chili, pizza, chicken wings, dips and lots of carbs. Got lots of AF choices as well as beer. SIL will have to bring her own wine, I'm done. I can moderate on beer because I don't care for it. Plus have to get up super early for an event and need to help my buddy get the food for it.

Go Giants!! We'll have some of both camps here today.
            The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Posting same time as you Suki, I love lasagna, but must have it without wine.
              Well done you.

Comment

Wednesday 6 march is Ash wednesday.

Comment

Suki411;265681 wrote: East, posting at the same time. I'm such a slow typer. Hope all is well with your daughter and house. Thinking of you. Thanks for all of your support.

S xxxx
                  Hi Suki,
                  Thanks for asking. My typing skills limited too!
                  Builders back tomorrow, Daughter still a pain in the a$%e, Glad to see you are still AF.
                  Take care
                  Eastx

Comment

Hi Paula well done on Being AF hard at weekends think Lent is nest wednesday 6 February

Eastx

Comment

I hestitate posting this because I tend to stay away because of the guilt I feel after slipping. Today is day 3 AF for me and I feel really positive. Problem is I have come here many times and said how confident I am and them end up right back where I was. I'm sure many of you don't remember me, but back in I think it was early Dec I went about 12 days AF only to slip back to my old ways.
                      I am in a really dysfunctional relationship with a man I have been married to for 20 years. Unfortunately, finances and my 13 year old son being in this house keep me from moving on. It's a lomg story but my drinking started about 6 years ago when he moved out. I begged him to come back and have been regretting that for a long time. Thus. the drinking gets worse.
                      Unfortunately, I am extremely allone. No single friends and no family at all here in Florida. He is extremely unhealthy and just had surgery last week. Even though things are real bad between us I have been caring for him the best I can. But, I am sick of sitting here watching him be a couch potato. I have been hiding in my room and drinking. Well, NO MORE~ Sadly, last night son was sleeping at freinds and I went to the fair by myself. (Older son at college). I watched the hypnotist show three times. It was amazing. I think I'm going to get hooked on the tapes.
                      Well, thanks for reading my ramblings and thanks for letting me join all of you ODAT'ers. Today I will not drink and that is thanks to reading alll your posts!!

Comment

Hi All: Haven't checked in for a while but feel I know some of you from the "ride to the end of January" which I didn't participate in becuz I knew I had a few mods days planned.

Time2Change: glad you posted. I've only been here a month, but it's clear that this community wants to hear from folks when they are doing well, but especially when they are struggling. Never a need to apologize for "I know I said I'd do this before and I didn't" because we've ALL done that - that's why we're here. So welcome back.I'm sorry your situation sounds is so difficult, and the tapes are a good way to "care for yourself" when you are spending a lot of time caring for others. I just started the tapes this week and after feeling like I wasn't getting it, read a lot of threads yesterday on the tapes (hyno dummy by Beatle on 7-07-2007 was pretty funny, and helpful) I felt more relaxed about listening last night.

Bessie: I enjoy reading about your riding jaunts.
                        East: I am inspired by your "0" on drink tracker.
                        Suki: I too am from near Boston and am looking forward to an AF Patriots game.
                        Suzanna; Was reading one of your earlier threads about "is mods possible". That is what I'm trying to do. Right now, will not drink at home, which is most of the time, and will limit my drinks to 2 when out. Seems the monthly abs group isn't that active, so do you tend to post here? I was also thinking about monthly abs, as I started with Mary, and like to check in with here.
                        Hi Paula: Don't think our paths have crossed yet.

Anyway: Happy Sunday to all to come. Sorry if I missed anyone above.

G

Comment

Time 2 we are all in the same boat, so to speak, so do not punish yourself, just do the best you can, as we all do. People on this site are not here to judge each other, day 3 sounds good to me. Hi Afh, good to meet you. Yes we all need to come here to this site, because it reminds us where we are, and we are all just one step away from that first drink. Iam presently feeling quite good, as I haven't had a drink for some time now, so
                          we can all do this, as I have always felt like a lost cause, if I can do it anybody can.
                          Love Paula.

Comment

I second what everyone says about not staying away when you slip. That's a very slippery slope that only leads downward. Without MWO, I'm doomed. I cannot maintain sobriety. Just get back on the train again. I can't tell you how many times I've slipped since I've come here in Apr. '07. I've always come back to MWO, explained, & started again. It wasn't easy, but I knew that if I didn't I'd go right back into the alcoholic pit I was in before I started. Even w/the slips, alcohol doesn't have the same hold on me it had before I came to MWO. Some of the habitual patterns & thought processes are breaking. Keep trying, keep sharing, keep being honest w/us. At some point, we'll achieve complete sobriety.

I commend the people who managed to drink moderately. I wish I could. Last night, I went to a dinner party where there were lots of lovely drinks. Everyone was drinking moderately, but I knew if I had one sip...only one sip, I'd drink all night & today too. I don't have an "off" switch. I wish I did, but I don't. Abs. is the only option for me.

Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Well, this will be my last post for awhile...........I'm off to see mom, she has no computer.
                              Well, last night didn't go as well as planned and this morning I have a "head". Haven't had that in a long time....don't miss it wither. Maybe I'm feeling a little stress about going away?! Not sure, but for whatever reason I'm not beating myself up, I do that enough as it is. I'm AF today, on the plane the whole way home which should take about 15 hrs......
                              I keep a journal and was writing in it last night. It was very cathartic. I have 10 days to myself where I can think, excercise and basically rejuvinate.I am looking forward to silence......My life is so busy that noise hurts. I'm at a turning point in my life where everything is changing, not only my habits but my life. My son leaves for college soon which means I can focus on ME.....I'm thinking of going back to school but am also thinking of changing my carreer....My trip can be what I make it. In the past my trips have been a cycle of drinking and recovering, and I thought I was having a good time! Not this time. The thought of doing that makes me sad.
                              So here I am writing a long entry trying to get my fix for the next 10 days........I'll miss you all, sniff, sniff.....
                              Bessie, I want your life! Your day sounded great.
                              Suki, you are always in my thoughts. hang in there. You have changed so much from your original postings, you should be proud.
                              time2change........never be embarrassed. I'm glad you're back.
                              And to all you ODAT'ers that I haven't mentioned.......congratulations of your AF days.

My whole life I have been led.......I want to lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X