Today is the day! a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After drinking a whole bottle of wine by myself last night, I realized I need to stop. I am married and have two kids. I am a stay at home mom...hence the drinking at night

My main problem is my husband likes to drink too. We usually go through two bottles of wine a night. It's hard for me to stop because he won't. Any suggestions on how I can get through this? Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome!

I had to stop on my own. My husband kept drinking. The only way I managed doing this was because he worked out of town and I saw him 2 weekends a month for 6 months. I had NO alcohol in the house.

I suggest you find deep down within yourself the strength to simply not drink. Even if he is drinking, you can always tell him that you need a break from it.

Keeping busy and taking good supplements are a great way to start. You can also download the MWO book from this site.

Keep posting, and I am sure others will offer you suggestions as well.

Comment

Read through the posts. Read the book. Buy some Kudzu. It works for me. If you have to buy some Topo - it works too. I am doing to all. Supplements, Hypno, Topo. Sometimes I slip, but I am doing so much better than I was 2 weeks ago. Of course, I have a hubby that can take it or leave it.

And hang out here. You will find TONS of support here.

Comment

Welcome

Hi chardchick and welcome!

I too am a stay at home Mom and it is tough. I found myself drinking during the day to cope. Not good!

This is a great place to start. My hubby doesn't drink at home, only when we are out. So, sorry I can't help you there. But as I have read through many, many posts there are many out there where the spouse is doing the same, drinking Buddy's.

Keep reading and hopefully we can do this together. I just joined last week and I have just started taking the supps....so hopefully I can start racking up the AF (alcohol free) days. I am tired of my family looking at me with disappointment and hurt in there eyes.

Good luck to you,
        Bambi
        "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

:thanks:
          Wow! Thank you to all of you who replied and so quickly! I have tried several times before to quit drinking and have always failed. I am so glad I found this group.

Have a great day!

Comment

I hear you. I have tried and tried and am still trying. That is all we can do. I was hoping to do better today, but stress of real life.....Why can't I just be a normal person and cope like everyone else.

Take care and keep trying!
            "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

hi there..chardchick. welcome.just take it one day at a time.read and keep on posting.and have a great day..
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hi and welcome!

I'm also a SAHM with 2 kids. You wouldn't think our job would be that stressful! I'm still trying to beat this. Today is yet another day one for me.

My husband knows how to moderate. I simply asked him not to drink until I was safely tucked in my bed. I go to bed early when I'm not drinking as there is nothing else to do. I also asked him to put the vino out of sight. I'm very lucky to have a supportive husband.

Keep reading and posting. There are so many inspiring people here.

Comment

Chard Chick,
                  :welcome: Keep checking in here.. visit the chat room. For me, those were two big things in trying to get AF. This site is great! you can do this if it is your time to be sober! I hope your spouse supports you in your journey!
                  HUGS
                  BHOG
                  War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Hi ChardChick and welcome ! I know where you got your name .. also unfortunately my favorite beverage. stick around here, glad you found us.
                    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Shelby,
                      Hang in there. It sounds like you are really trying and really, that's all we can do. I'm here if you need to "talk"!

Comment

Thank you! I'm glad I found you guys too!

Comment

Hi Chard Chick and welcome :welcome:

Today is your Day !! You will find so much support and inspiration on this site. I too am a Mom with 2 kids, but I have a husband who does not drink...he can take it or leave it. I've been a nightly wine drinker for over 20 years, and that habitual drinking has turned into a full blown addiction......so between the habit and the addiction.....it is a struggle...whether you are a stay at home mom, or go off to work.

I'm not actually sure what you should say to your husband, but you could tell him you are trying to stop, or take a break for a while. Let him know about this site. Have him read, and maybe he will get an understanding of what you are going through. Hopefully he will be supportive. I gave my husband this website, and he checked it out. He thought it was a good thing.

I have had so many AF nights since joining this site, and you will too. Good luck to you and again welcome, and we are here for you !
                          Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Hi Chard chick- my husband is a drinker, and I stopped drinking about 2 months ago- cold turkey. He still drinks, but has respected my wish not to.

His old habit was to fix a drink with dinner and then take one to bed~ which I really appreciated, because he'd fall asleep with a full drink. The Rum Fairy would flutter over to his side of the bed and personally deliver his delicious concoction to me.... after I already had my fill of wine, of course! Once I told him that I wanted to stop drinking, he stopped bringing his drink to bed, so that temptation isn't there.

The other thing I've forced myself to do (I'm a night owl) is to go to bed when he does, and to read until I fall asleep. No more sitting in front of the boob tube watching Conan O'Brien~ I loved the quiet time once everyone else was tucked in. I've realized that if I stay up alone and nurse my Merlot, I'm only hurting myself.

If your husband continues to drink wine at dinner, well, you have a couple of choices- I haven't found an alcohol free red wine worth drinking yet, but some of the sparkling AF wines are palatable....Or, you can make a refreshing AF beverage and drink it from a fancy goblet ... Cranberry/Perrier with a twist of lime, OJ and diet sprite....??

Patty
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

Thank you

Dear Not Happy Hour,
                              Thank you for your response and the advice. After speaking to my DH last night and telling him that I am really serious this time, he was extremely supportive and did not drink last night either! Last night at dinner time was very hard and you're right, it really hits when I'm sitting on the couch with DH watching one of our shows. So, instead I went and got on the treadmill and walked off my craving.

I'm so glad I found this group. I really think I'm going to make it this time!
                              Have a great day!

Comment

Working...
                              X