is the damage done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the damage done?

When you finaly quit, do you ever get back to looking like what you think may be normal? I imagine water and supplements help. But is damage done...damage done?
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

is the damage done?

In my case, after two years of AF and no tobacco, many things have happened. Of course my program is very intensive, and geared towards aggressively repairing things. My exercise regimen is key towards this.

Many things have changed. Skin tone and color much healthier, hair healthier.

Most people who care about me, have all said something about how I look much better, and more youthful compared to what I was.

Because I have intensively cross-trained, my body is nothing like it was back in the winter of 2005. New muscles all over, pot-belly gone.

My digestive system is something else though. It is totally freaked out still. It is almost like it keeps anticipating a large slug of ethanol to come down the pipe to process. So my liver, gall bladder, and guts are still a bit "jumpy" about things. But after 30 years of large doses of alky to process, I expect some things to take more time than others.

Anyway, the main thing, is that I have not been sick with cold or flu one day since I began the staight and narrow path. For that I am thankful, because I used to miss many days a year wallowing in misery from being sick all the time.

Neil

Comment

is the damage done?

WOW,
      xtexan - you sure do take good care of yourself. That is quet impressive. I envy your will power. Keep it up!!

Greeneyes, what damage do you mean - internal or external? I personaly think internal would take a bit longer to heal. When I go AF for even a week i already notice my face looks a bit brighter and my brain works a bit sharper... It seems that external demages are easier/faster to see repair.

Comment

is the damage done?

some damage cannot be repaired especially if you began drinking at a very young age when you were developing physically and mentally.

the good news is that most of the damage is repairable. I think cigarrettes probably have a lot more to do with the apperarance of hair and skin looking unhealthy.
        the supplements have really made a big difference for me. I don't look bloated anymore and my mind is sharper. I must say that I still drink, but have cut down a lot.

trix
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

is the damage done?

TT what supps do you take? I am still hesitating taking them. I want to start with just Kudzu and go from there. I exercise alot now and have AF days and moderate days...not last night :-( but that doesn't happen very often now...since I found this board
          FH

Comment

is the damage done?

I take 5g L-glut every day after work. sometimes 10g. omega-3 500mg.
            and antioxidants as well as a full multivitamin I use solgar since it's the brand of multis I had been using for years.
            when I first started I took 2 tablets of the multi and 2 of omega-3. every day.
            I am also taking GABA, which has helped with anxiety, it took a while for it to kick in, but I am much more mellow around booze and desire for booze.
            I also workout 3 times a week
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

is the damage done?

I haven't smoked in 12 years and don't do any drugs. I just look withered. I feel withered. My brain doesn't work like it should. I just hope it comes back.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

is the damage done?

Trixie and others.

I, too, take the GABA and can't rave enough about it.

Yes, it does take time to "kick in" but it has helped me hugely. (I don't use superlatives often, so HUGELY is a real endorsement.)

I do use the All One, simply because it is so much of what my body needs all at once. I am lazy and All One takes care of a bunch of stuff in one whack. (and yes, I actually "feel" the difference when I do and do not take my supplements.)

I actually bought a hand blender just to take on travel so I can still use All One.

I also started SamE recently, (I am NOT on any Dr. Rx for anti-Ds, if you are SamE is not a good idea unless you get Dr's okay first. Period.)

The supplements are part of RJ's perfect plan. They have helped me a lot. She put together a total plan and it is not to be looked at lightly. The supplements, the exercise, the hypno. I am ordering the cd's today. I think I am worth the money. At least I hope I am.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

is the damage done?

Oh, and as for permanent damage. It does happen.

It is what it is.

Do we give up if we have done permanent damage or try to make what we haven't damaged the best it can be??

No excuses.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

is the damage done?

Cindi,
                    I have some of the GABA from this website and took it twice. Does it make you tired and do you take yours in the morning or evening. I would like to add it back in but not sure how much or what time of the day to take it. Sounds like I need to give it more than two days.

I also have the other supps listed in the book and try and take those regularly....I am still waiting for the magic to kick in, guess I need to do alittle more magic on my will power.

Thanks,
                    Bambi
                    "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

is the damage done?

Bambi,

I take one in the morning and one in the evening with dinner. (I used to take two in the evening until I read that was too much in one day.)

The GABA is a big piece of the picture but every supplement takes some time unless your body is so starved that you can feel it right away.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

is the damage done?

Here is a link posted by Beatle. Hmm. GABA...

Colums, June 2005

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

is the damage done?

Cindi,

I had never heard of Louise Hay until yesterday...not only has her name come up NUMEROUS times in the oddest places...but she was also on Oprah yesterday (which I never watch, I just happened to be on that channel, and heard her name, so I watched) The show that followed was Dr Phil (again, NEVER watch that show), and it was on addiction.

Creepy.
                          Maybe the world is telling me this is MY time to shine...my time to heal...grab it and run.

much love,
                          Kee
                          Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

is the damage done?

keeta;268129 wrote: Cindi,

I had never heard of Louise Hay until yesterday...not only has her name come up NUMEROUS times in the oddest places...but she was also on Oprah yesterday (which I never watch, I just happened to be on that channel, and heard her name, so I watched) The show that followed was Dr Phil (again, NEVER watch that show), and it was on addiction.

Creepy.
                            Maybe the world is telling me this is MY time to shine...my time to heal...grab it and run.

much love,
                            Kee
                            I haven't caught Dr. Phil or Oprah in a very long time.... funny, how both shows were on addiction/depression/laws of attraction and ways to become whole again.

I have been a long time fan of Louise Hays. I first received her book 'How to Heal your Life' back in 1998 from my mother (go figure). This was before I had a drinking problem, but struggled with depression. I didn't really read it then, but am now.

I would highly recommend it to those on this site. It is a great read!

Comment

is the damage done?

Accountable,

it was funny...and such a coincedence(sp?), I am thinking it *isn't* one! Does that make sense???
                              Part two on the addiction show is today, and I am going to watch it.
                              After seeing her yesterday on Oprah, I am going to get the book....and likely google her name all day to read, read, read! :H
                              Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Working...
                              X