Day one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day one

Okay, here goes... Today's my first day, officially, although I often don't start drinking until late in the evening, but my last straw was the humiliation of knowing that I had alcohol on my breath yet once again at church yesterday morning from the previous night. Finally got the courage to go to my doctor to ask him for help. I'd tried generic Topa, but it didn't help, and made my stomach hurt. My doctor was very understanding and prescribed Campral. Can anyone tell me if I should start taking it tonight? tomorrow? I noticed in the literature it said the patient needs to be abstinent, but is there a standard time period of abstinence?

I've ordered the CDs and the book, as well as Kudzu, and already have several supplements such as GABA and L Glutamine on hand, since I've wanted to do this for a while. My family are all very supportive and haven't tried to force me, but have talked to me about how much they want me back. This has been going on almost every night now for about ten years.

:new:
    Failure is not falling down; it is remaining where you have fallen.

Day one

:welcome: :welcome: Hi Really and welcome!!! I can't answer you on the meds issue as have not tried them. but I am sure you will get a lot of responses from those who have. it can take a while as people here are in all different time zones. This is a great place though and so much nonjudgmental support here. Like you, and pretty much else everyone else here, i've wanted to quit for a long time. keep posting
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Day one

welcome Really,

you will find a lot of support here and on the chat....

The abstinence period is different for all...after 3 weeks i moderated one day...then af for another 2 weeks....

every time i drank after a period of AF the "drinking" seemed to have lost its allure to me...

i take the GABA and L-glute.....the l-glute works well for me during that 4-8 pm period of usual drinking....it also helped with the sugar craving that i had during my first solid week of AF.....

Keep reading the posts...you will learn a lot about yourself if you let it happen.....

late..
      -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

Day one

Thanks for the encouragement

:thanks:
        I'm soooo new to this, I was wondering if I had done something wrong, since I hadn't had any responses. It is great to know there are people that know where I'm coming from. Hope at some point I'll be able to be on the helping end.

Comment

Day one

Yes, just keep posting... you may even have to bump your own posts to get more responses. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Day one

hi there...really. welcome aboard..and good job
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Day one

Today is my first day too

Glad you're here. Hopefully, we'll get through our first day/night together!

Comment

Day one

Welcome Really and Chardchick. I cant't answer about campral as I haven't used it. You might start a post called ? about camphral and see if you get the answer that way. Lots of times the responses you get depend on when, where and the title of the post as no one (well most no one) can read them all. Good luck!

Comment

Day one

Welcome, RWGT!

I am so glad you found us! Don't be shy.. If you post doesn't get a reply right away, it could jsut be a slow time, and as Shk says, don't be afraid to bump your post by asking another question.

There are so many people here that have been right where you are now. We can help you through this. Take a look at the Thread specifically for these meds.. TOPAMAX/CAMPRAL on the Search Forums page. But remember to ask a lot of questions, post, post, post.. We are here!

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you..

MM
                  Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Day one

:welcome: !

Glad you found us! Keep reading and posting. You will find tons of support here!

Comment

Day one

Thanks for all the support. This is now day three. I read last night on here (instead of my usual drinks after work) that day three is often very difficult for most. I just started the Campral yesterday... two doses along with L-glut and 100mg. of 5-HTP and only woke up twice, and instead of lying there worrying and regretting so much, was able to drift back off after just a few min. Be sure to stay in touch, because I may have found a website to get the L-Glut powder cheap. I buy lots of stuff in bulk, and believe in it.

Comment

Day one

:thumbs: :thumbs: Yay on Day 3, Reallywanna!!!
                        :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Day one

Hi and welcome.....day 3 is great,you sound strong which is good just remember you can do this and you WILL do this.....
                          Jacqui xxx
                          Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Day one

reallywanna

Awesome job on day 3 AF...congratulations!

much love and hugs,
                            Kee
                            Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Day one

Congratulation Reallywannago on Day 3 :good: That's great! Keep it up, you're doing fantastic!!
                              It's personal, myself and I, we've got some straightening out to do. And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life.
                              It's time to be a big girl now....

Comment

Working...
                              X