Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little discouraged

Hi all -

Business picked up and I have been so busy I haven't been on much - just a quick glance here and there laughing at Crofts posts and sending good vibes to everyone cosmically.

I started January 10 and felt great from the beginning. I haven't touched Al except in Red Wine Vinegar since January 9. I started Campral on January 11 and was surprised to find out how well it worked and saddened to realize I really did have a physical additiction not just a bad habit of drinking too much. With the meds, I stopped thinking about Al really and as I am doing South Beach too my cravings for sugar and carbs in general went bye bye.

The discouraged part - I have been so busy I have been missing the middle of the day dose of Campral a lot and thought "great - this stuff is about $.72 each pill so if I miss 2 a day that makes it last longer". then I got cocky and thought - hmm maybe I can lower the dose further and only do one pill in teh morning and one at night instead of two. Then I started feeling cravings. Not horrible, but it kind of sent me back to earth - I am not "cured" by a few weeks of being AF. When I go off Campral I have a battle on my hands still. I HAVE to use the hypno CDs and supplements to battle this - the medicine helps but won't be there forever as a crutch.

A little reality check - I need to work hard to make these changes permanent and to stay in control once I give up my campral crutch. It never is as easy as it looks I guess.
    Member since January 2008
    AF since August 25, 2008

A little discouraged

Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes a while to change the chemical makeup of your brain. If you need the Campral then you need it. I know that I need my supplements, hypno CDs and Topo. Not sure how long I will need them, but right now I need them.

Hang in there and hang out with us.

Comment

A little discouraged

Is Campral something that you can't stay on long-term? I'm going to stay on Topomax for the rest of my life if it helps AND I've been on Prozac since it came out. (Except for the two times I was pregnant and I almost killed my husband!) I don't think there is anything wrong with taking medicine if you need it to live a better life. I was really shocked when I realized that I was physically addicted to AL too. There's no way I'm going off the meds for a long time. Good Luck!!
      It's personal, myself and I, we've got some straightening out to do. And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life.
      It's time to be a big girl now....

Comment

A little discouraged

First of all CONGRATS on your 2 weeks + sobriety! That is something to be very proud of. I know it's hard...I'm on my second day and my kids are hiding in their rooms from me because I'm so grouch.

Maybe you should wait to make such drastic changes to your diet right now. Giving everything up at once must be extremely difficult. It's hard enough giving up alcohol but take away my sugar and carbs too? NO way!

Hang in there...you are doing Great.

Comment

A little discouraged

Tired of Hiding,

I finally had a doctor give me a long term prescrip for Campral.

Damn that was hard. You mean, I am a true alcoholic, a real addict? Cr@p!!

Many on here have gone for more than just a couple of months on Campral and I have decided so shall I.

Whatever it takes.

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!

Great on the AF time. Keep it up.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A little discouraged

Thanks everyone. I'm the first to think "wow that person is just too hard on themselves" but I am my own worst critic. I haven't been 27 days without Al since I was pregnant almost 9 years ago. I guess I should let it all heal.

chardchick - I know it sounds like a lot but the south beach thing really ties in well. I think my body was addicted to carbs - alcohol, sugar, white flours. It's all the same once its in the body and I'm trying to take a full body approach - getting the alcohol out of the brain chemistry and the body. I really haven't struggled with it like I have in teh past when I would try to diet. There is such a tie between sugar and alcohol I think if I were eating sugar I would have more cravign for alcohol because of those iglucose highs and lows. I don't think its for everyone but it seems to be working. I have so much more energy since getting rid of Al I have been more inclined to exercise too which all goes back to a healthier body overall.

Thanks again for everyone's support. I'll stop whipping myself and take it one day at a time.
            AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

A little discouraged

TOH--Are you doing the supplements in addition to the Meds? I'm not taking meds (though I have them sitting here with me) and am finding great results following the supplement plan (to the letter). Would you feel better if you were not using pharmaceuticals, instead using a more "natural" approach, i.e. the supplements, to healing your body chemistry? Try not to look too far forward and worry or be depressed about how long you will need to be on meds. You should give yourself credit for what you've accomplished so far!

Comment

A little discouraged

TOH -how are you today?

Thinking of you today. How are you?

Comment

A little discouraged

Better today - less discouraged because of the great support here. One day at a time - I know. I feel so much better than a month ago and I am trying to remember that and not dwell on the medication.
                  I need to get the official supplements - I've been taking amino acids that I had and b complex and glutamine but not the full program - trying to use up what I already had.

thanks for asking. Hope you and everyone else is well today too.
                  AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

A little discouraged

Hi tired-

I started early on this program, trying campral on the advice of a therapist. Unfortunately, the campral did not work for me...I had MAJOR stomach issues on it...which is weird, because I usually have an iron stomach! Anyway, after that, went on Topa, which seemed like a miracle pill, for awhile. I just didn't crave alcohol, and if I had a glass or two, that was it for me..but like I say, only for awhile. I managed to drink "over it" to get the buzz I was looking for, and after a long while, just weaned myself off, because being on a pill for no reason made no sense to me.

I still struggle...but I think ALL these things can help...supps, meds, etc...but the need to commit to this is the most important. Don't know why I sit on the fence...for so long, but I hear from those that are successful that this is the key...

anyway, just sharing my experience with you.

I wish you the best

with love

Beth
                    formerly known as bak310

Comment

A little discouraged

I am taking a full load of supplments including Kudzu and the Topo - it is doing the trick right now. I keep hearing that Topo wears off, but so far so good. I am trying to stay positive. I know that everyone is different so you have to find what works for you.

I have heard extremely postive things about the Kudzu and can attest to those things.

Hang in there and hang with us!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X