weak times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weak times

maybe someone can help i do alright sort of i go to work and did o k during one or 2 weekends alone. the worst time for me is on the way home from work . i had no A in my house but yesterday i HAD to go to a store on the way home from work a nd didn't even want to . got stuff to drink but at least did moderately. how do i fight to urge on the way home from work?

weak times

Having a drink on the way home/after work is a typical practice for so many regardless of habit/addiction or not. Are you able to occupy yourself directly after work? like play a team sport or some other form of social activity?

Good luck, I'm glad you drank moderately
    Wake me up low with a fever~Walking in a straight line~ Set me on fire in the evening~Everything will be fine~Waking up strong in the morning~Walking in a straight line~Lately I?m a desperate believer~But walking in a straight line

Comment

weak times

try going another way home. drink soda.tea, coffee, and like straightlines said.keep yourself busy
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

weak times

I had to change my whole route doing everything when I first went AF. Even had to change grocery stores to one that didn't have a liquor store beside it.

If at all possible take a different route. Maybe a more scenic one, if at all possible. This may relax you a bit.

Comment

weak times

on the way home from work is sooooo hard. don't beat yourself up. Many of us have "wanted" to pass that darn store or gas station, but somehow found ourselves inside doing the very thing we wish we weren't .. , buying the very thing we are trying so hard to avoid. and the same person always seems to be working and thinking.... oh .. she's/ he's back.. but in reality we have no control on why we do this... on why it continues to haunt us and make us feel guilty or give in when we really don't want to. . The fact is we need to continue to reach out and talk to those who understand, and who have been there, and are struggling everyday to make this day better than yesterday. -- not yet perfect... but still wanting to be... deb
          :sigh:

Comment

weak times

Detour to Barnes and Noble~ browse and get coffee?

Can you stop at a gym on the way home?

How about leaving your credit card and cash at home- bring some cash with you to work but leave it in your desk...

Do you have kids that could also be out and about in the afternoon? Can you make it a point to pick them up on the way home?

Why do you want to stop drinking, Yesterday? Is it for you, or for your significant other? Is it for your kids? What is your inspiration to not drink today?
            I have a picture of my son with me, from about 5 years ago.... I consider it my "before".... anyway, I have a couple of different pictures, but the one with my son when he was 5 is strapped to my visor in my car. (The sun is out and my visor is normally down in the evenings).... that is the most important reason for me to just drive home. :heart:

Patty
            Tampa, FL

Comment

weak times

Yesterday, I have been there so many times and would like to continue chatting. We reach out on MYO for a reason and that is because we have decided we need some help. By talking things out and realizing we are not alone in our unhappiness at what we do is why we keep coming back. If there was one simple answer to your question I would give it to you. All I know is that by coming here and confiding in others who do not judge, AND have been there there may be a true "way out". Don't give up on yourself, today might be a rough day but we have all been there and the reason we keep coming back is because we want tomorrow to be a better day. The only thing we can do at this point to keep talking about what we do and maybe we can figure out a way to stop it.... I am feeling like I know where you are coming from and have not quite figured out the way out myself but I do feel better ( a little anyway ) expressing my frustrations... are you still there?
              :sigh:

Comment

weak times

Yesterday -

Reading your post was like reading my own story. I too, do the stop on the way home to by A. I give myself a pep talk but a lot of times, I just can't fight it. And I don't want to be there and I hate how I feel after I do it.

I don't know about you, but I live in a city and there has to be a liquor store on every block between work and home. Would literally be hard to find a route to avoid it.

I wish I had some amazing advice but all I can think is that someone on here (sorry I forget who) gave me some really good advice that if you have that craving, it is better to allow yourself a glass of wine at dinner but don't buy a bottle of something that you know you are just going to be tempted by. I've even done the thing where I have bought the bottle, come home and poured a drink and poured the rest out. That has worked for me in the past.

good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                X