Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wed. - Feb. 6 - Daily Thread

Hi Everyone:

I'm doing well in terms of abs in spite of the fact that I've had a lot on my plate the past 2 weeks. I've noticed that while all the difficult situations are still there (& always will be), my coping skills & attitude about them is more balanced. I don't need to get blind drunk in order to put them out of my mind. I can deal w/whatever crops up & then try to relax. I don't want to be the kind of person who needs alcohol as a crutch to deal w/life's vicissitudes.

I feel very committed to my AF lifestyle today, & that's all I have to think about. I don't have to plan for the future. I like the idea that Lent has started. It gives me a structure for being AF & the feeling of having "mission" that I'm on right now.

Whatever your goal, go for it full force! Don't let any little (or big) wrinkle in your life deter you from being AF/mod. We're bigger than that. I want to be the kind of person that can rise above what's happening in my life & deal w/it properly. There are millions & millions of people that go through crises sober. I think that's the way we learn about ourselves, others, & the world in general.

I feel I'm rambling, so I'll sign off for now. I'll check back later. Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

tk, partner: Come every day. I love hearing from you & reading your posts. Yes, you are so right. We "forget" how great it feels to go to bed sober & wake up hangover-free. Why? I'm not sure. The pull of wanting those edges blurred is so, so strong. Don't worry about or monitor hubby. He has his own path. I'm afraid you'll get disappointed if something happens to him, & it'll effect your sobriety. Keep the focus on yourself. That's the only thing we really have control over. Love you, M
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Greetings friends, I'm sorry that I don't have the conviction of spirit to type much today. still extremely ill from my poor performance in Vegas.
      Mary and TK I absolutely enjoyed your posts today. hopefully when I'm feeling better I can be a tad more articulate,
      be well my friends,
      D.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

tk: I just got back from shopping & am in the middle of a craving. What brought it on?:
        1. Drove by my favorite liquor store.
        2. Have a bunch of mindless chores to do now.
        3. Hubby is out.
        4. First day of Lent & have the urge to sabotage my resolution.
        I won't drink & feel the urge passing, but I feel a little rattled by it. What would happen if I did drink?:
        1. I'd have to go out & get the wine.
        2. I'd be in turmoil all day.
        3. I'd feel "under the weather" later.
        Do I want that? Of course not!

Deter: I just read your Vegas thread. All you can do is pick yourself up & start again. Remember how horrible you feel now & use that for future reference. Also, I've been regularly reading relapse-prevention on the Research Forum. There are some great suggestions there.

Love, M
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone

I agree with your comment Mary about lent giving us a structure for being AF and a feeling of having a mission. I feel it has given me a fresh start. I have just finished re-organizing my attic (started after xmas), cleaned out my files and got my filing up to date. These are the things I leave on the long finger and put off doing. It feels so good.

I have been collecting stuff from different vacations/trips for a scrap book for a number of years. I now intend to start sorting through all of it in the evenings, it will keep me occupied and away from Al.

Rustop

Comment

Stay Strong

Hey Mary:
            Just read that you were experiencing a craving and wanted to write to lend my support to your desire to stay strong. Don't think about all of Lent. Just think about today. I will not drink today either. Sending best wishes your way.

Fondly,

Ginny

Comment

Hello, my friends...

I'm very down today. Had really rough night last night. My STBX gave me a letter basically saying he wanted me to give him A LOT of money or he would sue and take half my business. It is too long to go into, but it is just wrong. I had a rough night after this, my DD heard me talking so she knows what's going on and it made her extremely upset. She cryed all night long. "how could he do this, I thought he loved me, why would he want to take our money".... I had to have long conversations with her and I's hard. This was a big blow for her. He has been spending time with her, acting like nothing in the world was wrong.. maybe she thought he was coming home.. I am not sure. I was also blind-sided as he was over yesterday helping me, we had great talks, and then he slipped this letter on my computer. Didn't even bring it up. He is basically a very surface guy - very fearful. He never wants confrintation and will say anything to keep peace around him at all times. How very exhausting. I feel sorry for him.

I AM SO GLAD I didn't have any AL in the house. I actually caught myself thinking if I did have any.. I was really upset! But I made it through and didn't drink. I won't drink today, or tomorrow - or ever over this person!!!!

It will all work out. I have good attorneys and support, and he is wrong on most of his points, so financially I will be OK - I always am. It's the other that will take some time to heal. But we will....

Det - I am sorry that Vegas was so difficult. Please stay in toch and take care of yoruself. We willhelp you get your groove back! Just let us know what you need. XOXOXOXXO

We know that difficulties pass.. so drinking will not make anything better, just more complicated and more emotional. We will do this.. hand in hand... Love to you all.

I'll check in later...

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Sigh. No, BIG sigh for all my friends here and myself (groveling for some love here...)

Mary - You are so amazing. Keep it up. Just kick the old "dude" in the butt and keep on keepin' on, because when we get right down to it, that is what we need to do. I wish it was easier than that but it simply is not. We either choose to drink to "drown" the issues and make things "easier" (i.e. not deal with real life) or we go for it. You are my hero. You are going for it...

tkeene - I am so glad you are on this thread. You bring a lot of perspective and insight. I will be right there with you.

Det. I have not read the Vegas thread yet but ready to kick you @ss. I can understand it but not excuse it. We are not RESPONSIBLE for being alcholics, HOWEVER we are responsible for drinking. Period..... Get IT!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it has taken some time for me to "Get IT!!!!!!"

I hate that I am an alcoholic BUT I am sooooo totally responsible for my drinking.. Cr@p, D@mn, Frick.

I truly wish I could throw this on someone else's plate, but it is my plate..

I will deal with it and so should all of you. (Damn, now I sound like Chief, but go figure, he is right.)

I love all of you, drunk, sober, buzzed or not. You are my friends and my comrades against this damn disease.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

tk: Thank you so much for checking back w/me. I overcame the craving & now can't even imagine why I got so wrapped up in it. I'm going out tonight to a play w/hubby. It'll be fun sober. BTW, I've gone to plays drunk & can't even remember what they were about. I don't understand why I'd do that, but I did.

Anyhow, tk, you're a sweetie for thinking of me. I'm great & feel a sense of accomplishment for not drinking.

Cindi: Hi! Hope all is well w/you & yours. Don't drink today. You're fine just the way you are. Love, Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Hello, folks. Sorry so many of you were/are having such a tough day. I certainly hope your tomorrows bring healthier and happier moments.

Have been sick since Monday, but trying to hang in there. Feeling just a little better today, so I thought I'd say hi. I swear I felt better when I wasn't taking vitamins! lol Oh, well...

:h :h :h to all.

Love, Me
                    :l
                    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Working...
                    X