Panic at the Drive-Thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I live in a fairly, large community so there are quite a few liquor stores to choose from. For some reason most of the liquor stores are owned by people from Asia. I am not sure why, but I have also noticed that there are two types of people from Asia that own these liquor stores. I can, of course categorize these types as I have visited each store on several occasions.

The first type is the liquor storeowner who talks on the phone non-stop in their native language to the liquor storeowner down the street. When you bring your adult beverage of choice to the counter to make your purchase they become extremely agitated. Now they are going to have to interrupt their phone call to use the cash register and take your hard-earned money. God forbid you ask for a bag, which I always do.

The second type is the type I like best. They are so friendly and seem so excited that you have chosen their establishment to purchase your adult beverage of choice that they give you a bag even though you did not ask. They notice what you have chosen and note other selections in the store that you might enjoy next time. They ask you if you are enjoying your day and they seem to really enjoy the time that you have spent in their store. They tell you to, "please come back soon", and I do.

On my way to work on my mural tonight, I chose to go to one of my favorite drive thru liquor stores. I have not been to a liquor store in probably about 7 days now. I pull my only 20-dollar bill out as I pull in and the window goes up. "A six-pack of Two-Below, please", from the window, "Hello there, it has been a long time, how are you?" Oh crap. He remembers me and wants to know how I am. I hand him the twenty and say, "fine" and he heads off to get the beer. I have been having many side effects one of which is the panic attack, so I decide to have a panic attack NOW. I put it into first and drive off.

First the bad news: I am out twenty bucks.
    Next the good news: I did not buy the beer and I can no longer go to that liquor store.

I do not know what happened. I just, well, panicked. For some reason it freaked me out that someone knew that it had been a while and that made me think that he knew I really should not be buying a six-pack.

The worst news: I drove to my friend's house; where the mural is. She had plenty of beer that she was more than willing to share while she hung out and chatted and I painted. I HAVE TO FINISH THAT MURAL. Right now, it is my biggest downfall.

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I go into a store and the guy says "Where've you been?" I am speechless - which does not often happen. I'm thinking hey, this store jumping thing works. Sad, I know. But I'm trying.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I hate that "long time no see" crap. I've learned to tell a little white lie when they just insist on knowing where I've been. For some reason replying in a fairly loud and firm voice "VEGAS" leaves them speechless....go figure
      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
      - George Jackson

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

when i wa drinking, i would go to my frequent joints and since most of the places i use to visit are selling the illegal localy brewed spirit, and so you dont have to sit down since anytime the police can appear and then you go in for 7months, and since i couldn't afford alot most of the time i only have 20shillings that is about quater dollar, they got used to it whenever they spot me comming its already served in the small plastic cup, all i had to do is gulp it quickly and of i go,
        the time i have a good amount maybe 2dollars i will start a fight if i find them having served me the normal or usuall amount and abuse them badly that they always underestimate me, when one day passes without me going to buy any there conclusion always is he is either dead or arrested by the police, really like reflecting on all that and its keeping me going stronger you know.

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Sounds like crack here in USA
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

You should go back and tell them that you had an emergency phone call and had to drive off. Just ask for your 20 and try not to buy the beer. I remember doing the store rotation thing to avoid detection. It is a little easier here in the UK as you can buy booze almost anywhere. I swear there will be vending machines here soon.

-GTC
            "If you want to change, then change." -Blonde Chic from LOST

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I just try to go to different off licences..but they seem to know me now..The other day i just bought some cans for my husband and he said no drink for you tonight... felt so embarrass.. Even in tesco the big store they seem to recongnize me and that bottle of wine....
              Croft.. know what you mean about the bags the same here.:H

Love
              Teardrop.x
              family is everything to me

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

It is horrible having a little time off from your local, I had'nt been there for nearly two months but the owner see's me and say's How are you and the Kids Choice, you havent been in for a while.! What, do they have a roster behind the counter ??????

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

When I would go into my local liquor store, which I don't do very often because I can get my wine at the grocery store, I would bring vodka up to the checkout and the lady there said, are you having a good day? Like, why would you imply that I only buy vodka to drown myself and forget a bad day?? I'm having stress or problems I only deal with by coming here? The best don't ask or comment at all. Like Maasai said, don't want to be underestimated or pegged in any way.
                  The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I had a rotation of about six or seven shops within a ten-minute walk from home (yep, booze is available everywhere). The worst times were when I couldn't remember which one I'd been in the night before and didn't know if I was returning for a second night in a row.

The good news for me is that I haven't set foot in any of them for over a month now. The not so good news is that if I need an emergency pint of milk, I don't yet trust myself to go into any of my old haunts in case I automatically grab a few cans while I'm there, so I have a much longer journey to get to a shop. :H
                    sigpic
                    AF since December 22nd 2008
                    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

hi there.. croft.sorry to hear about the panic atack. but maybe its also the other yous that is trying to tell you something.and hey the next time you want to buy beer.just donat the money.........but anyway have a great day. .ps i finally got some good sleep. and i will go check on her later. but for now iam off to work..see ya
                      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Maasai - when I go to Kenya I always see the signs: "Baadi ya Kazi...."

The drink I had once when I was there was called (forgive my spelling), muratina. It tasted sort of like lemonade. Everyone who drank it chugged it. My hubby and I sipped ours and the Kenyas that we were staying with thought that was very funny.

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Croft: hilarious. I forgot about the "drive-through" liquor stores in the West. we don't have those here. Maybe it's because of our all-powerful lobby the Tavern League. it might endanger the concept of a bar on every street corner. Also, i thought it was hilarious in Illinois and Arizona that they sold booze in drugstores like Walgreens
                          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

they sell booze in drug stores. that is hilarious. well, appropriate!

when I was partying - in my younger years - in wyoming we used to go up to the drive-thrus and order mixed drinks and drive off with like rum and cokes and screwdrivers. we would drive around and when they were empty pull around for another round!

those days are over. stupid feds won't give the state any money for highways if wyoming keeps up their naughty ways.

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Croft, I remember wyo drive throughs well. From Rock Springs to Evanston was a "3-six pack drive!" yes, open container was legal!
                              Not having wine and booze available in the grocery stores in Utah is probably a blessing for me right now! And I am not going to the liquor store for a long time now...plus it has been 30 days since I have been there. But yes, when the clerks know you by name, know your kids name and such, you are spending too much time (and money!) at the liquor store!
                              BHOG
                              War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Working...
                              X