A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to being marooned after another bad snow storm I was able to read this new book from cover to cover. I could not put it down.

It is the most fantastic, enlightening, eye opening, supreme ( I am running out of superlatives) book I have ever read in my life. I didn't just have a lightball moment, no I experienced what I would describe as fireworks. On more than one occasion I had to go for the Kleenex box because what I was reading hit home with such force. Everybody must make it their mission in life to read this book. It will truly change your life.

Here is an excerpt from page 213.

"Unhappiness or negativity is a disease on our planet. What pollution is on the outer level is negativity on the inner. It is everywhere, not just in places where people don't have enough, but even more so where they have more than enough. Is that surprising? No. The affluent world is even more deeply identified with form, (his word for the tangible or material world) more lost in content, more trapped in ego."
    *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

This is Oprah's new book club book. Sounds interesting.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Sounds like an excellent book lori. That excerpt is spot on with regards to negativity I think as far as those of us who have more. I used to be more angry in my youth than negative and I stopped being angry and negative when I gave up caring and lost my faith in humanity (If I ever had any to begin with!!).

I'd love to read more, it sounds 'right up my street' that one so will definitely purchase it!!

Love and Happiness
      Hippie
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I am going to get this book this afternoon!

Do you guys know that you can go to Oprah.com and sign up for a class and discussion, based on this book?

I am going to sign up!!

Love & Light,
        Kate
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Love the author. Have read many books by him.. Thanks.. going to get it now!

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

I am getting the book today too and just signed up for the live session starting March 3 with him and Oprah @ Get Health, Beauty, Recipes, Money, Decorating and Relationship Advice on Oprah.com.. I need to know my life's purpose so hope to find out! I was a little annoyed my screenname on the oprah site cannot be lucky! It is ok though, perhaps I need to disassociate with the duck! lol

Comment

I got the 8 audio CD set for my daily commutes at lunch today.

With my wrecked hearing, I had to really mess with the equalizer to understand the guy, as Eckhart Tolle reads the book himself. Heavy accent, sounds a bit German.

One CD per 1 hour trip each way, and should be finished by Friday.

Neil

Comment

I signed up for the online class. Don't have the book, not sure if I'll get it. Do you think it's necessary to have it? I have a huge pile of books I've accumulated lately and another one just might topple me over!
                FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I read his first one the 'Power of Now' makes alot of sense sought of like a re interpratation of Zen and Buddhist teachings with his own practical philosphies the guys the real deal to alot of people.

dan

Comment

That avatar is just riot dannybehan. The arm swinging Prozac capsule!! Just a riot. I was on that stuff for almost 3 years, and finally quit it and started using 5-HTP and natural methods to boost serotonin. Didn't really make a dent, because I still drank like a fish back then. Been over a decade now since I used that stuff. Structured exercise is my best anti-depressant for the long term. Most evidence points that way it seems, and now I believe it.

Anyway, it is taking both the to and from commutes to get through one CD, so it will take at least two weeks it looks like. Finally beginning to understand through Tolles' thick German accent.

Yea, I listened to every single MP3 I could find by Alan Watts (recorded from 30 to 50 years ago!), and the Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu, holistic, Gestaldt message is very similar to Tolles' take on the tenants of those systems. Just a little different perspective on them, which is alway refreshing.

I did take note that on the first or second CD, Tolle made an interesting juxtaposition between Rene DeCarte philosophy and Jean Paul Sartre philosophy, which was a bit novel.

Neil

Comment

I am really loving this book. Yesterday, I downloaded the first chapter of the workbook on Oprah.com. I am really looking forward to the webinar!!

Interesting.....each day away from AL makes me realize who "distorted" my thinking had become during my drinking years...........this book is really helping me to get a refreshed view on life and living to the fullest!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I can only read a bit of the book at a time as I have to "digest" it slowly. I don't know if I'm "enjoying" the book but each time I read it I feel as if the door to a room that I have never entered has been opened.
                        I bought Tolle's first book on cd and had a hard time listening to it. His voice, which is indeed accented but not unpleasantly so, was so monotonous that I almost fell asleep. Not advisable while driving!!!!!

Janet

Comment

I purchased the book audio version through itunes and am listening while driving to and from work etc. also. Eckhart Tolle's voice does take a little getting used to but now I find it pleasant enough. Think I am still in the first quarter of the book and will need 8 cd's total so will probably be a couple of weeks. I signed up for the webinar too. This is something the world needs right now, we are so distracted by all our material crap and so stressed out we need meds just to get through our day? (AL included!) Much to learn still here.
                          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

On oprah.com there is a message from Eckart Tolle on how to read this book......I am finding these suggestions quite helpful. He suggests reading only a few pages at a time. Oprah could only read five pages at a time. He also suggests reading with two different colors of highlighter. One color is used for anything that we find to be "True" or really life changing. A different color for anything that seems confusing or anything we just cannot understand. The idea is that as we get further along in the book, we can go back a review, so as to gain a more clear understanding. I am finding these suggestions extremely helpful!!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

wow! must check this out. as soon as I am done with the book I am reading now
                              'the omnivores dilema"

I have been looking for new things to read lately

thank you wise people

Trix
                              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
                              X