Thiamine deficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thiamine deficiency

Hi all -- Here's an article on how thiamine deficiency can contribute to alcohol abuse. As a result, I have started taking more B vitamins (100 mg. daily), with extra thiamine and niacin, and -- miracle of miracles -- the cravings have significantly decreased. I would say my consumption has been cut by at least a third. And I've tried just about every drug possible to beat this. Could this be the same principle behind campral ... Anyone have any info on this?

Multimedia Reporting (Fred-Musser): New vitamin deficiency link and supplements may help treat alcoholism

Twinkie

Thiamine deficiency

Well it's a vicious cycle in the addiction itself because alcohol abuse causes thiamine defiency. I commented on this idea on a a post about the supplement Evenol. Thank you for sharing this information, I believe in it!!!!!
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

Hmmm, and could well be why so many of us gastric bypass patients become alcoholics, since not only do we get a bigger kick from the booze, we also tend to have vitamin B issues and must supplement with those daily.

Interesting..

Thanks for the Info!!
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

How do we know if we have thiamine deficiency? I seem to be buying more and more supplemnts along with my groceries just in case !!

Thanks

Lx
        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

I think blood tests can show which vitamins you are deficient in. However, if you get your doctor to order these tests, don't take any supplements for at least a few days before the tests, otherwise they could artificially mask a deficiency. My blood tests showed I had 1,200 times the normal amount of B12, but I stupidly had taken my monthly B-12 shot 2 days prior to the test.

Also, if you are uncertain but don't want or can't get the tests, I recommend taking lots of Bs and Cs. MWO has excellent B-complex vites that have WAY WAY more than a normal B-complex supp. I don't think it is expensive either. You cannot OD on Bs (or Cs). My doctor told me to pop them morning noon and night (because alcoholics absorb them poorly, you have to take in much more to get adequate ammounts).
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

true indeed Beatle. one thing for sure...if you drink of have a history of drinking you are WAY deficient in B1 (thiamine). a long term deficiency can cause a dreadful state of brain damage.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

Not only that, guys, but if we keep buying more and more supplements, we will simply be unable to afford any alcohol to drink.

:H

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

ha ha ha, I'm laughing all the way to the vitamin shop (making a detour round the liquor store, of course!).
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

beatle;269710 wrote: I think blood tests can show which vitamins you are deficient in. However, if you get your doctor to order these tests, don't take any supplements for at least a few days before the tests, otherwise they could artificially mask a deficiency. My blood tests showed I had 1,200 times the normal amount of B12, but I stupidly had taken my monthly B-12 shot 2 days prior to the test.

Also, if you are uncertain but don't want or can't get the tests, I recommend taking lots of Bs and Cs. MWO has excellent B-complex vites that have WAY WAY more than a normal B-complex supp. I don't think it is expensive either. You cannot OD on Bs (or Cs). My doctor told me to pop them morning noon and night (because alcoholics absorb them poorly, you have to take in much more to get adequate ammounts).
                  Beatle, Why do you get this shot? Is it to help with drinking? I'm getting bloodwork done on Wednesday to test for this....pernicious anemia I think it's called. I wonder when I should stop taking vitamins, do you think Monday would be OK to stop? TIA Myheart
                  Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                  - George Jackson

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

I seem to recall, even back in 1977 or so about thiamine. So during my worst days of drinking excess I took B-1 tablets before and after my super binges. Those were the days when I would drink a fifth of whiskey just to get primed for my second fifth. I remember several times buying two fifths, or even a half-gallon whiskey for a binge.

Also forced down concoctions of Brewers Yeast and B-100 during my college days at regular intervals. I also did glutamine back in early 1980's as well, and got a small amount of help, but it was only 100-200 mg or so at a time.

I think that early supplementation helped me avoid a lot of damage that could have happened.

Of course I was 21 back in 1977, and we all know 21 year olds are indestructible (in their own minds).

Neil

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

Ha ... it's true that these supplements can break the bank! Anyway, thanks all for the info!

Twinkie

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

Twinkie, this is what happened to my mom when she had a heart attack/stroke in August 2006..... she was curled into the fetal position with her mouth wide open, drooling.... with a Do Not Resuscitate order on her big toe.... when my dad broke down and told her doctor about her drinking, he put 2 + 2 together and figured out that she had Wernicke's syndrome.... after one shot of Thiamine, you could see a remarkable change, and when you looked in her eyes, you could see that she was "back".... she has since made a full recovery.

I'm a supplement believer to now....

Patty
                        Tampa, FL

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

That's amazing NotHappy ... thanks for sharing this. Maybe we should all look into thiamine shots ...

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

just take lots of thiamine orally. it's very inexpensive.
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thiamine deficiency

I just took 2 multi-vitamins!
                              'I can honestly say, all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly, directly attributed to drugs and alcohol.' - Ozzy Osborne

Comment

Working...
                              X