X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

Pickelili & 2Drunk42Long,

Pickelili & 2Drunk42Long,

Hi guys, So glad you've decided to take this important step with us. Like Gina said, it's NOT too late to join us now! Our minds play tricks on us all the time by telling us things like 'now isn't a good time to quit because a: b: c:'
    You are here because you are willing to make a change in your life. We here in this group are far from perfect, but we are finding the joy in every sober day we experience. And when one of us falls, there are twenty others there to pick us up, dust us off, and remind us why we came here in the first place.

Blessings,
    Lori

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I found this website a couple of days ago and it's now all I can think about (that and wanting a drink!) I really want this but am absolutely petrified. I've been drinking since I was about 13 , am now 29 (and a half...lol) and in serious need of stopping. I need to get back some control over my life. I've always felt so alone even in company and it's only now that I've read some of your entries on here that I've realised that I'm not the only person in the world to have this 'secret' life. I truly hope that I will find support from like minded people on here and also give support to others when they're feeling weak or vunerable. Good luck everyone who's trying to get through each day sober. One question though, how long does it take for your sleep pattern to become regular? On the odd night that I don't have a drink I'm lucky to get 3hrs and with 2 children under 6, the next day is a killer which just makes me want a drink! Any suggestions?

P.S. Have ordered my copy of the book, just waiting for the postie to deliver!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hey, Im Tracey,
        Its good that you found this site... Im 21 and am addicted to alcohol but since ive been loggin on, everyday gets a little better... there is nothing but wonderful people here that are more than willing to help... so your definitly not alone. ask any of us any questions... this is like a family to me and i have gotten nothing but support from day 1.

Best of luck and God Bless.

Tracey x

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi Lush...

You will be sleeping like a baby in no time! Actually better than your babies, lol...know idea why they say that cause we all know babies never sleep! Anyway back to sleeping...if you go without any supps it takes about 3-4 days for the booze to get out of your systems. IE: night sweats, can't sleep....

The supps in the book..you can also find them listed in Dr Garcia forum posted under "Please post info on meds and supps in one spot..." and or you can purchase them here on this site as well. They all help with withdrawls and sleep, anxiety. cravings...Good luck to you, this is a great and wonderful spot to get the help you need and deserve! Hope your book arrives soon!

Welcome,

Tammie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Thanks Tammie and Tracey for your replies. I've spent the whole afternoon reading entries on here and I am, frankly, blown away! I never ever thought I'd find people that saw/experienced the world the way I do (well, I suppose for a long time we haven't seen or experienced a lot outside of alcohol or at least nothing that hasn't been effected by it, tainting things!) You are all a breath of fresh air and for the first time in a very long time I'm getting the 'warm, fuzzy feeling' but for completely different but positive reason. WOW! (Sorry, gushing a bit now...lol!) It just feels that I now have somewhere to turn.

Can't wait to receive the book. I've also ordered Topa on-line, didn't realise how expensive it would be. Do you know whether it's available on prescription here in the U.K? I've spoken to my G.P. in the past but I really wasn't taken seriously, the only thing recommended was A.A. and although I didn't call them, I read up and was sent some literature and it really didn't seem my sort of thing (if you know what I mean?!) It seems that here in the U.K. you'll only be offered help if you're on death's door and even then it's reluctantly (maybe I'm just or a cynic, or need to change my G.P!!)

Anyway, am probably boring you now! Just want to say Thank 'God' I've found you all. KEEP STRONG coz through your strength you give me mine x

P.S. could you call me Michelle instead of Lush?!!! Thought it was witty at the time! x

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi Michelle

Nice to meet you Michelle...that does sound so much better than Lush! Doesn't it, lol...

Anyway, once you are on Topa and can show your GP how well you are doing maybe than they will be more inclined to prescribe it (that is what I plan on doing...) mine wouldn't prescribe it either, kept giving me the AA route...blah, blah... I am in the US by the way. There are some others on here from the UK however so maybe they can jump in here and give you there info. However, one I do know had to go the off shore route also..and is waiting for her topa too. It is alittle expensive but if we look at how much we spend a month in booze then I think we come ahead pretty darn quick!

Take Care,
              Tammie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Hi Michelle

hi michelle! i'm in the uk too and have had no luck whatsoever in getting any anti craving medication from my doctor! i got the same feeling as you that they'll only prescribe something for alcohol withdrawal in the uk if you're at deaths door! not fair!i saw my doc on thursday and she said "well done for going three days without alcohol,you're over the worst now!" like @#%$! stupid woman!!!so luckily i'd already ordered topa online so i'm waiting for the postman! i'll just do this my way!!! anyway if you wanna chat anytime ez box me! i'm 33 with 4 kids so know how difficult it is regarding sleep etc!: take care jenny

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Hi Michelle

Thanks Jenny, I've sent you a message in response!

Just out of interest, how do you get into the chat? Am I being a complete twit??? Just comes up with a blank page! Maybe it's my laptop! : Anyone????

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I'm a Newbie

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice and words of welcome. Like so many of you I have never admitted to anyone that I have a serious drinking problem and it is such a relief to be a part of a group that has so very much in common. That all of us have experienced the same, actions, thoughts, guilt and desperation.

By the way, if you think I'm posting at all hours of the night - I promise it's not because I up drinking - it's just that I'm on the otherside of the world to most of you. I'm a kiwi.

Thanks again - P:

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I'm so scared, I need to start

I am so scared. My health is going down hill and need this support soooo much. I am so glad that I found this site. I started reading the book and have laughed and cried. I am so afraid to see a doctor for the meds, I am so embarrassed to admit my problem, any thoughts....

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hang in there Sami

I'm just new too. Get yourself registered and get on the programe. I've only got the book and tapes so far, supplements and topa on the way. I've been stuck like glue to this site all week - and I reckon this is where you've got your best chance of breaking the habit. Some of these people are so inspirational. We all have faced up to our problem and we each are not just looking at Our Way Out - put we're serious about making it Our Way Out.

Just do it Sami. We're all here to support each other.

Pickles

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Fuzzy Vodka head

Another day, another fuzzy head....sigh. I am so bored of this, I don't even enjoy it anymore, wish I could just stop. I am so impressed by all of you that are doing March Madness (will there be an April Abstinence, I'll be in on that one!). Well done, you are an inspiration. Keep it up, I'm rooting for you!

The postman has disappointed me again this morning, no book, no Topa, no supp's, no fair!!

Is anyone worried that they may be replacing one crutch with another (i.e. the med's)? In a few months time when we are all abstaining or moderating will there be a need for a Topa Anonymous site? Lol...just a thought.

Sami, welcome. You are about to meet a lovely, lovely group of people. If it's support you need then you're in the right place. Good luck in your journey.

Please let the postie bring me something other than bills tomorrow.

Michelle.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

fuzzy vodka head

Hi Michelle
                            I am based in the UK, and I was able to get most of the supps from Holland & Barrett except the Kudzu which I ordered from www.auravita.com., they are based in the UK, and delivery is just a few days. I am taking H & B own brand calms, they seem to work. The All in One you do have to order from abroad, there is a site in the UK you can order the Topamax from, but I haven't taken that as I want to see what happens with supps. Pushchairaddict(Jenny) had the website for that if you look in the other posts, can't remember which one. I am doing OK with the supps I have and the cd's, I am on the March Madness programme and I am on day 6, the longest I have not had a drink in many years. Best of luck. Mary

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: fuzzy vodka head

Michelle,

Hi...I hope Mr. Postman comes to your rescue today and makes you very happy! Sometimes they do take awhile though, it is a bummer....

Anyway, I loved your "Frog.." post today in the Abs section. Couldn't have come at a better time. I wanted you to know how much I greatly appreciate it. I'm still climbing...day 6! I am sure there will be an April Ab's. The trick is to be really, really ready. I had started planning in advance! Plus I have a goal that I want to achieve at the end which helps. Still not easy by any means but the supps and topa help take some of the edge off...I need to be better with the cd's and excersise!

Well, I justed wanted to say Hi and thanks! Good luck with Mr. Postman today..hope he gives you a ring!

Take care,
                              Tammie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: crutches

hey Michelle!
                                Just wanted to respond to your concern regarding using the supps and meds as a crutch replacing the alcohol. I was worried about the same thing when I started, and still kinda have some concerns about how much this computer is on my lap.... hee hee!
                                Putting alcohol in your body: Bad
                                Putting herbs and vitamins in your body to heal and cleanse: Good
                                Talking yourself into drinking/rationalizing/all that crap we tell ourselves when we open our first drink: BAD
                                Pounding on this keyboard: BETTER THAN THE ABOVE!!!!
                                I also figure, that the topa and some of the supplements can be temporary and weaned off, once we have retrained our bodies and minds to think and do differently with the alcohol, whether it be abstain or moderate. At that point, we can take whichever vitamins and/or herbs as appropriate to maintain good health and energy in general and not be constantly warding off the Boozy-Boogyman. I just made that up. See? the supps are making me SMARTER. :rollin
                                Keep posting!
                                Becca

Comment

Working...
                                X