Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just loved the title.. so I bought it! It was recommended to be when I bought "Running With Scissors". Probably a bit heavy, but looks interesting.

From Publishers Weekly

Flynn's wayward father, a self-styled writer and ex-con, describes his life on Boston's streets as "another bullshit night in Suck City": he hangs out in ATM lobbies, stuffs his coat with newspaper and is often "still drunk from the night before." This biting memoir describes the years poet Flynn (Some Ether; Blind Huber) spent, in his late 20s, working at one of the city's homeless shelters, where his path crisscrossed with his down-and-out father's. In examining their troublesome relationship, Flynn admits to feeling lost, as he turned to alcohol and came close to being on the other side of the shelter admissions booth himself. Punchy language and short chapters make what could otherwise be excessively painful more palatable (e.g., "Fact: In 1839 Dostoyevsky witnessed a mob of peasants attacking his father.... they poured vodka down his throat until he died. Fact: I can watch my father pouring vodka down his own throat any day of the week. My role is to play the son, though I often feel like a mob of peasants"). Although it's depressing, the book never seems hopeless, because readers know the author has succeeded at doing what his father only pretended to do: write, and write well.
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Whoa mama, I think I need something lighter at the moment. Well I guess I could read teh RJ book I boubht, eh? I read running with scissors. Kept having to remind myself "this is real". But then I have stories from special ed that would make your head spin. I should write a book and crof can help.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
    X