So Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Confused

I'd like to try the other supplements on here other than the Kudzu that I already take. Problem is I don't know if/how they will react to the Rx's I take. I don't see my Dr. again until May and I HATE calling her inbetween appointments.

I'd like to take the GABA and possibly the PS. And the L-???, can't remember.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

So Confused

join the club

hey Noelle,
    I am sort of wading through the same confusions with the suppliments.

I asked my pharmacist about drug interactions...I cannot take SAMe or GABA while on antidepressants(specifically Effexor)....very BAD reactions can occur...including need for hospitalization, or worse, fatality.(also cannot take them while taking tramadol...and a few others....can't find the print out she gave me, I think it is in my car)

L-Glutamine is the word I think you are looking for...I started that yesterday...I take a multi Vit...a B-Complex...Calcium, magnesium, Omega 3, Biotin, and started taking melatonin last night.

Maybe start by googling your specific meds, and contraindicated suppliments...or type in specifically....eg:

Effexor and contraindications and SAMe.

I hope this helps a little...I am confused too! Good luck.

If all else fails...ask any pharmacist...they are VERY helpful!

love and hugs,
    K
    Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

So Confused

Noelle,

Keeta has given you great advice. I just want to add that you can check your meds on this website:

https://www.aidsmeds.com/cmm/

You just put in the meds you use and all contraindications should come up, even including food. (like grapefruit juice and tegretol-- go figure!)

Anyway, most of the natural ones (supplements) are ok, but you should check into the possibility of contraindications, no matter what. I've had a bad experience when failing to do this.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

So Confused

Thanks y'all. I guess no GABA for me as I take Cymbalta! LOL

Comment

So Confused

I did the contraindictions and OMG, you've almost got to be a doctor to read that stuff! I'm going to ask my pharmacist.

Comment

So Confused

well, you don't really have to read all it says, just see if there is a major contraindication, and if there is, you don't have to understand why, just don't do it!
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

So Confused

NOW I FIND OUT?

Help! I just let a GABA dissolve in my mouth trying to calm my anxiety and I find out it has the potential to fatally react with Effexor which I have been taking for quite a while. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for??? ACK!
              Bunnie aka Time

Comment

So Confused

time_after_time;294840 wrote: Help! I just let a GABA dissolve in my mouth trying to calm my anxiety and I find out it has the potential to fatally react with Effexor which I have been taking for quite a while. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for??? ACK!
                tingling I heard hot flushing like when you take too much niacin.

if you are bipolar and on meds, do not take gaba
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

So Confused

If you are bipolar and NOT on meds, is it ok to take GABA? I never heard about it being a problem (like SAMe is, and I am first-hand evidence for that!).

Comment

So Confused

I was told by a doctor that GABA can induce a manic episode . he mentioned it to my friend who is bipolar as well

Comment

So Confused

I get the tingling and flushing with GABA and am not on any meds.

My hubby does not get that reaction. I think I don't have enough GABA and he does?

This is not a scientific study, anecdotal evidence totally.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

So Confused

Ooops. I am now taking Gabapentin. That has been added lately by shrink for anxiety.

Better go check the checker....

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

So Confused

I have been so confused about this for a long time. Isn't L-glut just the precursor to GABA? (it gets turned into GABA?) ... I am diagnosed bi-polar and I take L-glut by the bucketsfull-- literally-- and I have not experienced any reaction to it. However, I went completely bonkers on one little 200mg pill of SAMe. Now I'm wondering if it was something other than the SAMe that sent me into the nutbin of maniacy (only curable by three days of 24-hour vodka-drinking).

Comment

So Confused

hi beatle i would suggest taking a low dose. it really depends. if you are depressed you might end up having a manic episode.

if anxious I think it could help you but take it slowly.

I same a compound of different herbs and aminos?

Comment

So Confused

All I know now is that I cannot take L-glut or GABA. They do NOT react well with me. I guess it's my antidepressant, Cymbalta. I also know it's something to do with the seratonin levels. And I really wanted those and SAMe to do something good for me.....oh well. Can't take SAMe either.

Comment

Working...
                              X