pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pregnant

I remember someone on posts of the last several weeks saying she was pregnant....can anyone refresh my memory of who that was? I know Onoclea has discussed it too but not yet for her.

Thanks,
    CS

pregnant

CS!
    oh how i wish it WERE me! i have been scouring the site for people who might relate to me in my desire to be pregnant, for women who have chidren and have done so during drinking years, for women who might, in fact, be preg-o. i've certainly found awesome women with children, but have'nt come across anyone who is actually pregnant.

...maybe these current cramps i'm having actually mean nothing much, and i'll write in a few days to share some good news. i hope so.

if there is a pregnant woman out there, please do give us a holler and tell us how it goes!
    onoclea

Comment

pregnant

pregnant

Hey Onoclea,

I hope your dreams come true, sweetie. Good luck!

Kathy

Comment

pregnant

vulnerability

kathy,
        thank you so much for your kind words. i am feeling down, down, down. i am thinking everybody hates me.

i fell off the wagon last night after having been feeling so very great for six days. now i feel like a jerk. i mentioned my fall in another thread and nobody referred to it. (of course that was only three hours ago.) probably it was the wrong thread to mention it in, as it was marcie's topic (saturday) saying she's craving. oops. am i bad and awful? please say no, somebody!! i am also vibe-ing myself out about the book recommendation thread, thinking i've offended people. woe is me!
        why am i so thin-skinned sometimes??!!
        onoclea

Comment

pregnant

Re: vulnerability

Onoclea - Don't worry about it. I used to be really thin skinned. Then I turned 40 last year. Now, I really don't care what anyone thinks of me - other than my good friends and family. I think we all have a lot of good information to share and I like this site because to me, it feels like "anything goes". To me, your posts have all been very beneficial and very useful and you definitely haven't offended me!

Don't fret about falling off the wagon. It's not going to make a difference regarding your conceiving. In fact, with my last pregnancy 9 years ago, I knew I was pregnant on Mother's Day. My boobs were really sore, which is the big indicator for me. Anyway, I didn't tell anyone. My husband took my two daughters out (then they were 7 and 5) to give me a break. I went in the backyard and smoked a cigarette. Then I made myself a big batch of margaritas. That night they took me out to dinner. I had three glasses of wine - all the while pretty sure that I was pregnant. Isn't that awful? The next day I took the test. Bingo. Preggers. I didn't touch a drop until our anniversary and the wine tasted so bad I threw it out.

Well, my son Colin is 8 now. He has been reading since he was 4 years old and is at the top of his class. He will probably enter the GT program next year.

My point? Certainly not to advocate drinking while pregnant. But I know that you are very concerned about getting pregnant and I think the best thing you should do is try to relax. Don't beat up on yourself for one slip. I hope that you don't get your period this month. I am crossing my fingers for ya!

Jane.

Comment

pregnant

thank you

thank you jane so very much. you have helped me increase my inner peace tremendously. i wish i weren't so concerned about offending people, or having people think i'm wrong or bad. i hope that soon -maybe when i'm 40?- i will grow up.

thanks too for your words about your son. give thanks! i am happy for you. and him, for having such a cool mom. no, i don't think you're horrible for having those margaritas. i think you're human, and very much like me in some ways, it seems. that beer i had last night, well, i might be preg-o. the cramps suggest otherwise, but my fingers are still crossed... we are funny animals, aren't we?

thanks againo

Comment

pregnant

pregnant

Hey Onoclea!

Just read your post on the books and on this thread too! You DO sound awfully sensitive , maybe HORMONAL :rollin possibly preggers after all? I hope so!

Cosmic Hugs,
              Kathy

Comment

pregnant

decision making time

OK, I am going to throw this out there, because everyone here has been so supportive to everyone's concerns. Several weeks ago I started posting here and decided to begin this program, printed out the book and bought supps. Turned 40, started feeling like I was finally gonna tackle this once and for all. Well then my period was late...and strangely I wasn't wanting much to drink at all. 2 beers or glasses of wine and I'd be done. Why was my mind and body second guessing me? Well I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it's positive. This is totally unplanned. I have a stepson who is almost 15, and my husband and I have been on the fence for years about whether to have our own children or not. I know many of you have children and this is a very loaded topic. I am very worried about birth defects or if this is even the right thing to do. I also feel like I have been obsessing about getting my drinking under control, and now I have this to worry about. I am going to the dr. this afternoon. Maybe these are not the right comments or words, but thanks for listening.
                CS

Comment

pregnant

Re: decision making time

wow CS...I'm not sure what to say because you don't sound like you are sure what you want. I do know that you should not worry that you have a few. It was very early on and most of us have drank when we were not sure. I know I did and my kids are fine (13 & 11 now). Our bodies do seem to have a way of helping us with that, like you said you weren't wanting to much to drink. Also if you and your hubby are happy about this it maybe a kick start for the program. IE can't drink when preg. and busy and excited afterwards.

Good luck and my prayers and thoughts are with you,
                  T.

Comment

pregnant

pregnant

Hi CS. When I was pregnant I did a lot of research on the effect of alcohol and other teratrogens on the fetus. This is what I learned from an embryology textbook. Despite what you hear, during the 2 weeks after you conceive, the embryo is either miscarried due to exposure, or is just fine and not subject to any effects. It acts in an all or nothing fashion. From this point on in pregnancy (the 4th week, or 2 weeks after conception) it is critical not to drink because of organ development. Sounds like you found out early enough if your period was just a little bit late. I, like many others, lost the desire to drink during pregnancy. The hormones, morning sickness, etc really played into that. Whatever you decide, we are here for you. I would never judge you! Gina

Comment

pregnant

Surprise, surprise, CS. I think even when pregnancies are planned it's still such a major life change it's scary. I myself subscribe to the theory that "everything happens for a reason" but I can understand your trepidation at having a baby at 40.

I wouldn't worry about birth defects from drinking. I posted awhile back to Onoclea about having my last hurrah with alcohol when I knew I was pregnant but no one else. It's funny the way your body just kind of knows as illustrated by the fact that you only have a couple of drinks and then you are done.

Since you are over 35, your doctor will probably want to do an amnio, so that will ease your mind regarding birth defects.

Good luck! Let us know what's going on.

Jane.

Comment

pregnant

Hi CS;

I drank one glass of Red Wine per dayk, my OB/GYN had suggested it, due to a very pressured job and an idiot (husband, now my ex), it helped relieve stress..

My child is 13, no birth defects..Extremely bright, very hyper and smart as a whip!

Brandy

Keep us posted on the doctor visit, hope your dreams come true!

Comment

pregnant

for real

Hi Tammie, Gina, Jane and Brandy,

Thanks for your words of support. I knew I would find that here. I went to the gyno and they did another preg. test, which was also positive. (my husband didn't really trust the $3.99 test from Target; I didn't know they had gotten so cheap!) We discussed some early genetic testing, which my husband and I definitely want to do, unless we change our minds before then, which we are kinda lleaning away from. I will say that my husband and I have not this kind of heartfelt emotional -- and reality based -- conversations in quite some time. I am also glad that I hadn't been drinking much anyway lately, because there would be no way I could think about this clearly if I were drunk, hungover or depressed, as I was for many, many months/years.
                          Also over the last few years, I have had some major upheavals in my health and my job, which reinforce my belief that everything happens for a reason. So...I am continuing to process my/our thoughts and feelings, and the dr. wants to see me in a week.

Thanks again for your kind words, CS

Comment

pregnant

Re: for real

CS;

Major CONGRATULATIONS! We are so happy for you...

Brandy

Comment

pregnant

for real

Congratulations, CS,

All the best to you and your husband. I'm sure that you two will know what is the best thing for the both of you. What a surprise! All the best!

Kathi

Comment

Working...
                              X