observations on the brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just some ramblings here. Things I've been thinking about.

I've said before that when we succumb to alcohol we are suffering from a middle/primitive brain hijacking of our modern frontal cortex. To further bolster this, take a look at how people behave when drunk:
    they exhibit the extremes of survival mechanisms such as anger, less-inhibited sexual attraction, and the slobbering "I love you man" syndrome that I have no name for but it's clearly a form of primitive bonding. All of these things are carnal in nature, just like our carnal and primitive middle brains. However there is a short circuit in our hierarchy of survival instincts in my brain and perhaps the brains of many others here that causes alcohol to take a lead in priority the moment it gets into our bodies.
    Heres the good news: even the most faulty wiring in the world can't hurt you if it's not energized. When we stay AF we take the power out of the faulty circuit and then it's powerless. I'ts still there, just dormant. Perhaps healing very slowly along with the rest of our battered selves.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

interesting
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

I often said I drank to destroy my sense of reason, as that was the source of my main pain (as it were)

I believe there is quite a bit of evidence that alcohol progressively "deactivates" the brain in stages, from higher functions down to lower functions. Analytic and emotional discretion first, voluntary motor controls second, involuntary motor controls next, then clear on down to even the autonomic breathing mechanism before death.

Ever been "blind" drunk? The vision system consume 25% of the brains energy I have read.

Yea, the booze is quite an interesting molecule, in how it does those things. It is really quite a simple molecule, no where near as complex as some other neurotoxic drugs. Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas is an even simpler molecule, and has even more profound neurological effects in much the same sequence.

I agree, the only way for many of us, is to just stay away altogether, and keep the "dinosaur' brain under the control of the outer cerebral cortex. The old "fuddy-duddy, party pooper" part of our brains. It is the one though that allows us to invent and build useful things, like air conditioning, microwave ovens, and even lunar spaceships.

Neil

Comment

Working...
      X