Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Rash........

Hi

I have been struggling for a long time with my binge drink style alcoholism. I have woken today with a rash on my arms, abdomen and upper thighs. It's slightly raised but mostly under the skin. I drank from Monday evening (6pm until last night almost constantly), had most of today off and a few cans this evening.

On Monday I did a daft thing and after an argument with my partner jumped in the local river which is in flood. Yes, I am sure we all know how funny that was in February in northwest of England.

I have no other symptoms apart from a lot of scratches from where I have to scramble through a bramble bush and up a flood wall when I had calmed down. Well the cold calmed me down - within a few minutes of being in the water my feet were completely numb and my the time my BF got me home I was shaking from head to toe. A hot bath cured that but I must have almost been hypothermic.

So is the rash the alcohol, something I picked up in the water? The river is usually clear up here but in flood can get pretty 'brown' looking. I also have a lot of water retention - was dehydrated this morning and have guzzled down a couple of litres of water since.

Any advice appreciated......

R

Red Rash........

Yikes! I would see a doctor as soon as possible. It is quite possible you caught something from the flooded river. It could also be alcohol related. I know when I drank for more than two days in a row (binge drinking) I would get a rash on my chin. It would clear up within a day or two of stopping.

It sounds pretty serious and I would have it tended to. Drink lots of water too!

Comment

Red Rash........

Make an appt with your doc. In the meantime, bathe in an oatmeal bath. You could try Calamyne lotion.
      Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Red Rash........

so you are drinking BEER it sounds like? tons of it? beer is loaded with yeast, could be a reaction from the yeast, like a yeast over-load? search on the net about yeast. pretty sure it affects the skin. make sure you put some baking soda in the tub water and lemon, hope you find some answers dear.

~ripple~

Comment

Red Rash........

I may suspect the bramble brush could have irritated your skin. Does the rash feel hot or just scratchy but not itchy? If it is warm to touch probably worth getting looked at. Scratchy but not itchy take the bath and soak if off. I break out from brushing up against pine trees and get tiny red dots but it usually goes away. Jumping in bracing cold water cold be forcing a major "goose bump" response as we yanks call it. I never take chances though, I down a slug of Benedryl and if that doesn't sooth it in an hour off to the clinic. I'm sure they will enjoy your story of your swim too! Good luck!
          Is Addiction Really a Disease?
          Watch this and find out....
          http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Red Rash........

The rash doesn't feel anything - just looks odd. I had plenty of stratches and embedded thorns from the brambles - including in my feet. Spent quite a while removing the last of them with a sharp needle point and tweezers. I took a hot bath after my soaking, with tea tree and lavender oils. Done the same tonight so should be disinfected by now!

I drink cider, either Strongbow or Scrumpy Jack. On Monday I started in my local pub, they were out of Strongbow due to delivery problems (our high street is dug up at the moment), so I had a glass of red wine followed by couple of bottles of Westons cider (high abv ~ 3.3 units per bottle). Probably had 20 units within 4 hours before my swim.

Comment

Red Rash........

Hi uk blonde

I'm a cider drinker and wine...This could be alcohol related..like ripple said about the yeast.. Also lots of suger in wine and cider. my eye lids sometimes gets dry and itchy.
              If i was you i would make that appointment with your GP. he might give you some cream to clear the rash up.

Good Luck.

Teardrop.x
              family is everything to me

Comment

Red Rash........

Spent the day in bed mopping, when I got up I realised my rash was redder so rung the Dr's - can't see me until next week unless it's life threatening....I can speak to a triage nurse tomorrow at 1030ish to see if I qualify as an emergency. I want to get back to work tomorrow so don't think I will be.

Am trying Clarityn in the meantime. I am a 'strawberry' blonde with blue eyes and freckly skin - means I do occasionally get reactions to odd things. Clarityn is my favourite antihistamine.

Comment

Red Rash........

so sorry UKblonde. I once jumped in the east river in NYC.(not drunk but just stupid) . the river is polluted and I got a skin rash not as bad as you, and also a yeast infection from the dirty water.

yucky
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Red Rash........

Rivers are full of all kinds of crap that could make you sick. Water retention with a rash is a sign of liver disease though so I would get a blood test if you haven't had one within the last year just to be sure. Actually it's the water retention that I find odd. Please let us know how you're doing!
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

Red Rash........

In the meantime, you could do the oatmeal bath or 1 cup each epsom slats and baking soda for 20 minutes. Sip a tad of colloidal silver. Calendula ointment.
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Red Rash........

Hope you're feeling better now, let us know anyway. Boy have I ever done some daft things when I've been on a binge, I shudder to remember some of the ways I've totally shown myself up in front of family and friends, never jumped in a river though - that was dangerous, glad you got out ok! Take care, if the rash isn't any better could you phone NHS Direct for some advice?
                        J

Comment

Red Rash........

UKBlonde,

Yes, please let us know you are okay.

Daft things... OMG!! Been there, done that.

But, take care of you and do what you need to.

I am worried about the rash "thing" and am thinking you really need to see a doc.

Once you are "in," the doc should care.... if the doc is any good....

Love,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Red Rash........

Well after calling the surgery last Thursday and being told they had no appointments 'til after the weekend - unless my condition was considered life threatening (?) I just took a dose of Clarityn and cut out the alcohol. Had a bad night involving two bottles of red wine Friday. Haven't touched red wine since last Autumn when I had had enough of it making me sick, so don't know why I went back to it.

Felt so ill Saturday that just about finished me off. Rash receded, can just see few purple marks but its definitely gone. Spoke to someone I know who works with sewers and knows the waterways locally. He said mostly the water is clean round here, the water regs are very tight in our area so most likely some plant on the sidewalls.

Anyway much better now. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice!

Comment

Red Rash........

UK, so happy to hear that you are feeling better. I would be alarmed with a rash as well. Maybe an allergic reaction to what you were drinking? Take Care.
                              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                              X