Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOPE FOR ME?

Hi, all.

Just joined the forum yesterday; just began Campral yesterday; and, AF 3 days at 8:00 p.m. tonite. This is the 1st time AF for 3 days in 1.5 years. Feel a bit foggy and nauseous, but I'd probably be feeling that hung over anyway!

I see the caring and understanding in every post I've read and identify with so much!

After 13 years clean & sober (via AA mainly) I began drinking again on 10/31/05.

Began counseling 1.5 years ago; joined a "dual diagnosis" group for women in recovery 8 weeks ago. Tried going back to AA - just didn't work.

Any similar stories out there or words of encouragement?

Thanks to all. Just reading your posts have given me more hope!

Diana
    :new:

HOPE FOR ME?

Hi Di, my story is a little different (aren't they all?), but all I can say is that you are welcome here, and that with this place I have been sober for 16 months!

I think the trick is to DECIDE what you want and set goals to achieve it. You will get nothing but support here, regardless of what you do. Check in even when you feel you can't - those are the times you need support the most.

This may be a solo journey, but that doesn't mean you have to be alone.

Flip
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

Thanks so much, Flip. I'm feeling scared right now and it's great to know I can check in here during the day @ work and at home at night. Thankfully I get to see my shrink in a couple of hours; I'm able to trust her completely. Am afraid of having any cravings tonite - I don't want to see that sad look in my boyfriends eyes again.

Thanks again.

Diana

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

It is normal to feel scared. Your life has been filled with drinking and now it's not there. You have to learn how to live without it and that can be terrifying. Trust me though, it's not! So glad you are seeing your shrink soon, she will be able to give you some tools to use to cope and help you understand some of the underlying reasons WHY you need to drink (the addiction is something esle entirely).

Plan NOW what you will do IF you get cravings, although I never had any once I started taking Campral - I just felt "lost" and found I had so much time to fill in. Buy a new mag to read, plan to see a friend, start something new... do anything but drink. EAch day of success builds your confidence and you won't want to slip back.

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

Hey-

Just want to say :welcome:

You will love it here. I wish you the best on this journey. Hey, you had success in the past, and that is a good indicator that you will again, even if it is through different means.

I tried campral about 2 years ago, but couldn't stomach it...major tummy problems. I also tried AA in the past but couldn't stomach that either (tummy was fine tho lol). I am still struggling, but this place is wonderful. Actually, after many different attempts to beat this, including many tools suggested in this program, such as suppliments, and Topamax, I am starting antibuse tomorrow. Not a very common practice these days, but there are a few of us here on it that have been successful.

Bottom line, you will get tons of suggestions and an amazing wealth of support here. Seems like the MO here is...if it works for you, we will all support you! Also, if you fall, these folks are not enablers...can be tough on you if you need it, but the unconditional love is incredible...very little judgement here.

So, come on in, the water's fine. You won't be sorry. Oh, and there are many here that use this site and AA together...no one will tell you what to do...whatever works...that is the goal.

Nice to meet you!

Beth (aka Lucy Van Pelt)
          formerly known as bak310

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

nice words Beth..

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

Welcome Di

Hi and :welcome: Di, YES there is hope for you and plenty of it, stick around.
              Aunty Vic :h

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

FLIP: Thanks again! I have several home projects going on, mostly because I get too out of it to complete them, but they are things I really enjoy: Gardening, puzzle completion and just got a sewing machine last weekend to start simple curtains. Have learned some breathing exercises, and a "relaxation" tape - and now the ability to check in here!

About how long after last alcohol consumption can I not worry about several withdrawl symptons?

LUCY: Thank you for the warm welcome.

:thanks:

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

it all depends on the level of your drinking on what withdrawals you get. Just keep an eye on them and go straight to your GP or Hospital if they are bothersome - you don't want to risk relapse because of them. The first 5 days are the worst - and from anecdotal eveidence here day 3 is the killer. So make sure you get through today.

I found that for the first week or 10 days I felt really down, vague and lethargic...but improved significantly after that. (then you go into "spring clean" mode!) more on that when you get there! lol

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

:welcome: Di! Glad you found us.

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

welcome again DI.....evenings are the worst for all of us I think....get one here instead of drinking. Keeps your mind occupied.

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

A nice warm welcome to you Di.
                        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

Thanks so much to everyone for their welcome. Made it home after counseling w/out stopping for wine! It's been almost 72 hours. Had a craving in my counseling session, talked about it and now I'm okay (for now?). Am a little scared about the next two days; understand the first 5 are the worst. My boyfriend sure was thrilled to see me walk in the door w/out a bottle in hand.

Hope all have a good eveniing. I's almost 8pm where I am.

THANKS AGAIN!

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

Welcome Di! I just stumbled here myself. I'm about 12 days out from going into inpt rehab at Schick Shadle. I'm terrified but hopeful. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel about everything after reading so many posts here...for once in my (drinking) life...I feel like I'm not alone.
                            "We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be." Jane Austen

Comment

HOPE FOR ME?

Yep we are not alone

Lefty that?s the best part about this site, we are not alone, phew???keep us posted on rehab. Kind regards, Aunty Vic

Comment

Working...
                              X