Can you help me with supps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you all have helped many with this question, but I did do my homework. I have spent hours researching on not only this website, but many, many others.

I have been AF for 69 days. I have not taken any medications for quitting and have only been taking a multi-vitamin and Omega 3 fish oil. I ordered kudzu in early Jan., but by the time it arrived I felt I no longer needed it.

Since quitting, I sleep better (not great), feel like I no longer suffer from depression (thanks to fish oil) and I do not have any alcohol cravings. I do suffer from stress and anxiety and fatigue. I believe what I plan on ordering will help address these issues, but this is where I'm unsure and need your help.

In addition to the multi and fish oil, I plan on ordering the following:

B 50 Complex
    L-Tyrosine
    L-Glutamine
    5-HTP
    Milk Thistle
    Calcium
    Magnesium Citrate
    Vitamin C

Is there any reason this may be a wrong combination? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Also, if you take anything listed above, how much do you take? And are you feeling any benefits with what you take?

I appreciate any advise you can give me. Thanks!

Love, Me
    :l
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Onlly thing I can say is to take a look at the calcium / magnesium ratio. And take the 5 htp with a little fruit or juice and no protien w/in about half an hour of taking it (before or after)
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thankful you say I
      do suffer from stress and anxiety and fatigue
      Do you exercise? I hope you do at least a little. Vigorous exercise will change your bodies stress chemicals namely the hormones and provide some outstanding chemicals (for free) that can help fend off the stress and anxiety. I do yoga anytime I feel edgy or tense. Just simple stretching is so wonderful for letting go of a arm load of tense feelings. IMO you won't find balance in your life in a pill, diet and exercise will work those wonders you are after.

I urge everyone to become meaningful in their lives and start by doing meaningful things for yourself. I start each day with the yoga Sun Salutations and it just sets me so right for the day. PM me if you wish to discuss in any detail.
      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
      Watch this and find out....
      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Supplements

Hey Thankful

I believe you have a good list going there I'll tell you what I take now afer doing some tweeking and adjusting - this is the perfect combo for me now - but you may need to play around with it. I'm 5'5 130 lbs. - I believe everyone needs to factor in height and weight

B Complex - Breakfast and Dinner (I use the one from MWO - a good dosage)
        C - I take - Breakfast - Lunch and Dinner
        L- Tyrosine - I take 1000 mg upon rising 1000 mg at 3 PM (This is good one for mood - see The Way Up - Alternative Health Product, Alternative Health Products, Alternative Health Supplement, Natural Health Alternative for more information on this
        L-glut - I take 1000 mg 3 times a day (upon rising - mid afternoon - evenings)
        5-HTP - I take Tryptohphan at bedtime instead of 5HTP - you can do either
        The others I take according to the MWO dosage directions

I also take the Omaga 3-6-9 like you - really helps
        I also take probotics and digestive enzymes

Other than that - I really believe the supplements will bring your strength back. I went AF 6 weeks with no supplements, no meds, nothing but some glut and lots of water and also felt very tired and weak. I think you will see major improvement in 3 weeks after you start the supplements. Let me know if you have other questions I love the supplements!

i am SO VERY HAPPY for you ... 69 days Wow - Congratulations Thankful. Thats Huge.
        Liv
        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Hello Thankful -

I think your list looks great. I'm on pretty much the same, with the fish oils too. As far as amounts, I take as directed pretty much, with one exception - I also take Source Naturals Tryptophan instead of 5 HTP - 1,000 mg at night before bed.

As far as anxiety and stress and sleep - all of the supplements you mentioned will help in time I think. The tryptophan, calcium/magnesium, B and C vits, amino acids, all contribute. Caffeine and sugar have an adverse effect for me, so try to limit these if you aren't already.

I know that you have been sick almost this whole time. Without the alcohol, your body and brain are healing so much more than you can feel (or enjoy!) right now. As your health improves, the AF benefits will really start to shine through. And you never know how/why things go the way they do. Perhaps this illness and the slowing down it necessitated, is exactly what you needed during this time. To focus on your sobriety, to rest and to heal. Building the foundation, as it were.

Good luck with the supplements, I think they make a big difference.

Love WW xx

Comment

looks like a good list. exercise as said above by 4theboyz is really really important. even just walking at a fast pace. I would say it's a necessity.

I take gabba 1000mg, all the multi vitamins and minerals and extra c and b. and of course the 0mega-3. (not from here) but maybe that is why it's taken more time than most to get to this point. don't know.

Gabba really helps with that weird anxiety you get if you don't drink, which is the reason we end up drinking and then making an emotional mess of ourselves.

I no longer have anger bouts over "nothing" or what would seem like nothing to most.

I overdrank last week (been doing this plan for a year now) and I just got right up and am back on "track".

don't think this would have been easy, if I didn't have a healthy system.

good luck and be patient.

T
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies.

Greeneyes ~ what about the ratio of the cal/mag? What should I be looking for?

4theboyz ~ I am looking forward to adding excercise asap. Just have been very sick over a month now and Dr does not want me doing anything that will raise my heart rate until I am better because my lungs are so weak. I normally will not look to take pills as an answer to problems (that's why I never tried to get a med to help me quit drinking). But after putting in the time to research what alcohol depletes from the body and how I have been feeling for years, I figured a little Holistic approach won't hurt. That's why I'm only interested in vits and herbs.

Liv ~ thanks for reminding me. I wanted to look into probotics and forgot.

Wonder ~ oh, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to not being sick. I have been sick practically the entire time of being sober. My friend told me this morning I was so much healthier when I drank! He was just joking, of course. But I was sick 2 wks in Jan and have been sick again since Feb 3rd! Something good better come out of this, that's all I've got to say! lol

Trixie ~ yeah, I definately have those bouts of "angry at nothing" too. Or I really know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Geez, that would be nice to eliminate that fun part of my personality!

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate your help and input. Figure if I order this today or tomorrow, hopefully it will be here by the time I'm done w/antibiotics. :dunno:

Love, Me
              :l
              Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

thankful, looks like you've been doing your homework alright.

good posts everyone.

I'm taking a magnesium from Jarrow called magnesium optimizer which has:
                100mg cal citrate
                50mg potassium citrate
                350mg taurine

it's great stuff.

I also take a separate B1 (thiamine) 250mg per day on top of my multi. it's very important for brains affected by alcohol.

and a big YES to regular exercise (thanks 4theboyz)

for anxiety I take a half teaspoon of inositol powder mixed in juice. very good and documented remedy for all kinds of stress related mental disorders. it's expensive so shop around.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

1/2 part magnesium to 1 part calcium.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                  X